Another Morelos Thread - Anyone Else Think He'll Be Here Beyond The Summer?

Necro

Don't take this as a dig at him, he's a brilliant striker and easily our best since Jelavic, there's an argument to be made that he's better than him too.

The thing is, he can't seem to maintain a decent level of form for an entire season, his value skyrockets every summer and gradually decreases. You can blame that on his discipline and it would be hard to argue but I think it's more than just that.

The club have made it clear that he won't go for less than our valuation, can you see that being met? I'm not sure if I can.

The club have made it clear that he won't go for less than our valuation, can you see that being met? I'm not sure if I can.

Hopefully we are pricing teams out the market with our valuation. He is invaluable to us.

I think it's extremely harsh to say he can't maintain a decent level of form for an entire season – what is that based on? Even now he's putting a decent shift in and scoring goals (that are chopped off) without being at his best.

I don't think I've ever seen opinion on a player so easily swayed as it does with Morelos.

I think it's extremely harsh to say he can't maintain a decent level of form for an entire season – what is that based on? Even now he's putting a decent shift in and scoring goals (that are chopped off) without being at his best.
It's based off him failing to do so for the past two seasons and it's blatantly heading that way again mate.

We have a valuation. He has an ambition. The problem may arise if he decides to go and we’re still not getting what we want for him. What happens then, with a depreciating asset?

That’s another big reason he’s such a target for the Tims and the Mhedia. Because not only do they want him away, but ideally for them not on our terms.

I think his value to us is higher than some teams will pay. I’ve always said that he will move for big money if we draw an English team in Europa and he tears them apart, folk don’t credit the work he does in the spl

probably not, more likely because of how he gets treated in this country

unfortunately any time he gets booked is getting highlighted in Europe as well, Keown who is normally quite happy to praise him was calling him "an angry man" on BT yesterday and all he was doing was a little dissent towards what wasn't a foul. His reputation is starting to go before him which is rubbish because he's not angry or a dirty player, he just wants to win games and score goals

As much as I like McBurnie as a fellow bear; since the blades forked 20 million for him then I don't see why a premier league team won't be chomping at the bit to snap up Alfie.

That being said I hope he's here for another few years. He deserves silverware, our boy.

People are forgetting that he’s had 2 perfectly good goals chopped off

These Morelos threads are tiresome

he was outstanding last night with his link up play. It’s about time our other players pitched in rather than us all relying on him
Nobody is forgetting that, it's just that in my view the point is still just as valid.

He's not really a natural finisher so when his form drops he starts to try too hard and he ends up wasting glorious chances

I think so as well, think his suspension issues reappearing and his decision making in the final third will mean teams won’t be willing to meet our asking price.

Not a bad thing at all for us as he’s invaluable to us and another season with us would see him go up a level again.

It's based off him failing to do so for the past two seasons and it's blatantly heading that way again mate.

What's blatant? He was excellent up until the break just like every other player and his form has dipped since then – even still he's scored two goals.

He was still maintaining a decent level the second half of last season, he just happened to be suspended for a lot of it.

Don't take this as a dig at him, he's a brilliant striker and easily our best since Jelavic, there's an argument to be made that he's better than him too.

The thing is, he can't seem to maintain a decent level of form for an entire season, his value skyrockets every summer and gradually decreases. You can blame that on his discipline and it would be hard to argue but I think it's more than just that.

His heads turned mate. Deffo. Can see it a mile away. Was snapping up those chances few months ago. (When he was on the pitch)

I think he will be gone as he’s had enough of Scotland,

He will go on to be very successful and we will get a decent fee for him to buy 3 or 4 really decent players.

I think for his sake he needs to move on to improve.

I think we also have to now get as much as we can for him and reinvest some of it for more players of quality.

I'm in two minds. Think he is a cracking player but part of me thinks of maybe cashing in. If it comes down to stopping 10 in a row, is it better to add 3 or 4 £5 million players into the first team or keep Morelos. I don't know.

No one will pay the money we want as long as his discipline remains suspect, I think he is still playing well, had a couple chalked off by cheating referees or assistants, unlucky on a couple of occasions last night, probably down to him being desperate to score, but still leads the line well, and I'm not keen for him to go, unless of course I'm wrong and we do get daft money for him.

Alfredo has scored 22 goals in 35 games this season. Loads of strikers score in batches during a season then have a dry spell, I don't get the current negatively for our best player, no matter how it's dressed up.
It's only negativity if you want him to leave, all I've said is at this stage of his career the type of clubs with the means to match our valuation will have more reliable options at that price point

If anyone matches our valuation of him, he will be off.

If they don't, he won't.

That's been the situation for the last 18 months.

As I said mate, negative comments around our best player who got us this far in Europe with his goals. If it wasn't for refs he'd have a couple of league goals in recent weeks.

I don't think I've ever seen opinion on a player so easily swayed as it does with Morelos.
Couldn't agree more.
He is playing well and scoring goals (wrongly disallowed) and more importantly he is timing his runs almost perfectly as a striker, something which young Hagi is beginning to tune into equally almost perfectly.
Yes, he probably should have scored at least two last night, however, I lost count of the number of times I saw us play the ball forward towards Alfie and for Alfie to take the ball and hold it up or even turn towards goal giving us a constant goal threat and a perpetual out ball.
He will be a huge miss next week and that is the only criticism I have of him, he has to cut this out.

His standards are actually so high, that if he actually loses a ball or misplaces a pass supporters are surprised and disappointed, but even then, they aren't down on him as much as he is on himself.

I think they'll cash in on Edouard for big money (by Scottish standards) so it's going to be very hard to justify holding onto him if sizeable bids come in especially as he's made it clear he wants to play in a bigger league sooner rather than later.

A club where he's just another squad member and not front-page news every other day would be good for him on a personal level but I hope it's not some EPL cannon fodder team as I don't think he'd do well at West Ham for example. Unfortunately, his form has definitely fallen away recently so unless it picks up again the number of teams prepared to pay our asking price might be limited.

Morelos is great and has done well to score 30 goals this season. However does anyone else think that there is a naive side of his games he needs to get over and very quickly going into next season? I think there are scenarios where he takes the wrong option quite a lot, like shooting from any position he finds himself in when there are other options. Also the dive in the old firm game still pisses me off. Just keep going and you may even get a goal!

We need him on the park
His petulance is costing Rangers

Out again against Braga away, for daft boyness

The manager will be getting sick of it
There will be a tipping point eventually

I'm a little bit sick of discussion being derailed by comments like this.

Shall we just not talk about anything in depth because some sensitive souls think it's too negative? Should we just reduce it to "Morelos good"

you seem a sensitive soul that everyone seems to think you are talking sh.......

see tbf mate i thought the same his first season post xmas was poor, last he scored 11 in 14 i think

I believe he will be gone in the summer not my wish just think he will be and tbh i think the management team and Ross Wilson will have the money ear marked for improving the team overall.

I think it depends on what happens with the league.
If we can manage to claw back the points and win the league, I reckon Gerrard would do his best to convince him to stay for a shot at the Champion's League.
Not only would it raise his profile, it would also raise his price, so would be a win-win.

30 million is nothing to some clubs these days, even the likes of West Ham and Villarreal spent 20 million without blinking. For that reason i see him leaving.

I also think Barisic and Aribo will go for big money and Kamara for an extra three 0's on his original fee

30 million is nothing to some clubs these days, even the likes of West Ham and Villarreal spent 20 million without blinking. For that reason i see him leaving.

I also think Barisic and Aribo will go for big money and Kamara for an extra three 0's on his original fee

£50,000,000??? :eek:

I'm a little bit sick of discussion being derailed by comments like this.

Shall we just not talk about anything in depth because some sensitive souls think it's too negative? Should we just reduce it to "Morelos good"

There are a lot of people on here who cannot tolerate any criticism of Morelos no matter how constructive or justified it is.

If you're a Villa or a Palace you want someone who can give the opposition a physical battle up on his own and only expect 10-12 goals then Morelos is perfect and well worth the 20M if it keeps you in the EPL.

If he keeps up his current form we'd be lucky to get £10m for him, and on that basis we'd be as well keeping him as he's not going to get a move to a bigger club. Wish he'd get back on form and grow the heck up though.

I'm sure this has been done to death already- but I may as well chip in again with my tuppence worth

I honestly believe the treatment of Alfie in our league has negatively moulded him into the petulant player he has become

He has never been guilty of violent conduct, hammer-throwing acitivity or downright dirty play & is not even close to the thugs that get away with ten times worse in the SPHell week in week out

Sure he can be a bit niggly & frequently reacts to others when he shouldn't but then again so do countless others in plenty of leagues throughout Europe - without anything like as much fuss or causing melodramatic witch hunts every week

Any club with any sense will recognise he's potentially got a few issues - but if they let that cloud their judgement to the point where they ignore his obvious talent - then they're probably best looking elsewhere anyway

The trouble now is that the EPL at least are probably buying into the 'bad boy' Alfie reputation & officials in England will be already aware of his reputation

In La Liga or Seria A for example - Alfie isn't even out of the ordinary & I can't help thinking if refs / officials treated him equally - he'd probably be better behaved

I actually think Alfie's strengths are far better suited to the continental leagues than the EPL but that would be difficult to prove of course

All told - if any club in the richer leagues are short of a striker this summer & it gets close to the deadline - the price we put on Alfie or his petulance won't deter them imo

Last edited:
On his current form then yes, I can see him staying as I can’t see a club stump up the £30million for him.
However if he quickly rediscovers his early season form and screws the nut again then we will struggle to hold on to him.
He let us down again last night with an utterly needless booking and now we go in to a huge game without him.

i see him staying as i have done the past 2 summers , however there comes a point we no longer sell potential, meaning his value may decrease. If he does leave id rather he went to serie A or la liga, proper athletico madrid striker

Back