Any Greek football experts on FF?

VGM

Ended up down a bit of a Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Read that Panathinaikos have only won 3 titles in nearly 30 years, and less than half the number won by Olympiakos.

Always had them down as much of a muchness in terms of size. Are Olympiakos just better run/wealthier/bigger?

Pretty odd that Olympiakos haven’t really managed the European runs that Panathinaikos have, but seem the much stronger club.

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that in the 1950’s, teams would get bonus points if they finished the game with 11 players.

Olympiakos have won something like 22 titles out of the last 27, its probably a case of them coming good at just the right time i.e late 90s where the champions league revenue was beginning to become a major factor in smaller leagues revenues, which has allowed them to keep the rest at arms reach.

Add in the weak economy of Greece in recent years and the general corruption at boardroom level and its just a case of it being impossible for the other clubs to catch up at this point.

Olympiakos have won something like 22 titles out of the last 27, its probably a case of them coming good at just the right time i.e late 90s where the champions league revenue was beginning to become a major factor in smaller leagues revenues, which has allowed them to keep the rest at arms reach.

Add in the weak economy of Greece in recent years and the general corruption at boardroom level and its just a case of it being impossible for the other clubs to catch up at this point.
Was about to say that’s utterly grim, then realised that’s basically where where we’ve been headed, and where well go continue to head if we don’t start making more right calls than wrong.

Greece is a mad place to go for away fans too. Really intimidating crowds there.

Check Olympiakos Owners out and you will see why. Super wealthy and super dodgy. As far as the wider organisations go Panathanikos were much much slower to invest in infrastructure in the 90s and their old stadium was small.

AEK and others outside of Athens are miles off it in terms of money generating as they get nowhere near European Competitions.

Went to college with a Greek lad who was a PAOK fan, absolutely despised Olympiakos more than Aris. Spoke about corruption from the Olympiakos owner.

Ended up down a bit of a Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Read that Panathinaikos have only won 3 titles in nearly 30 years, and less than half the number won by Olympiakos.

Always had them down as much of a muchness in terms of size. Are Olympiakos just better run/wealthier/bigger?

Pretty odd that Olympiakos haven’t really managed the European runs that Panathinaikos have, but seem the much stronger club.

:D

The only thing I know is that the grafitti in Rhodes seemed to be Olympiakos friendly.

In Crete it was Panathinaikos dominated. What is it, Gate 13?

Bound to be. I’ve yet to see a team mentioned on here that somebody doesn’t have a very good mate that supports them yet.

Tell you one thing if Olympiakos manage to win it this season they will do it the hard way - need to beat PAOK and Pana away and AEK at home:

9/1 to pull it off.

Tell you one thing if Olympiakos manage to win it this season they will do it the hard way - need to beat PAOK and Pana away and AEK at home:

And they’ve probably got a European final coming up. Something I chastised them for never getting near when I started the thread last year :D

Need to start one bashing us for not winning trebles every year….

And they’ve probably got a European final coming up. Something I chastised them for never getting near when I started the thread last year :D

Need to start one bashing us for not winning trebles every year….

I'm surprised Villa are evens on Thursday, they looked absolutely knackered at full time yesterday and the Greeks had the weekend off.

I'm surprised Villa are evens on Thursday, they looked absolutely knackered at full time yesterday and the Greeks had the weekend off.

Initial reaction was “that’s awful nice of the Greek FA”

Then I remembered yesterday was Easter for the Orthodox Christians :D

Slightly off tangent but Olympiakos put the yahoos out of the EC early doors in 74/75. I think the scores were 1-1 at the sty and 2-0 for the hosts in Greece.

Anyway, I remember the first leg and the Greeks had a playmaker who pulled all the strings, George Delikaros (sp) who had a magical left paw. (I think George was his first name)

So we'll fast forward to 2007 and were in The Rock Cafe, or something like that in Pefkos in Rhodes and I'm talking to the bartender whilst we're waiting on our drinks.

Scottish? Rangers or Celtic. - Rangers!

What about you? - Olympiakos.

I then told him about watching Olympiakos drawing with that lot in the EC back in 1974 and mentioned George Delikaros and he was impressed.

He then told me that in a recent poll back then, Delikaros had been voted Olympiakos' greatest ever player.

As I say, slightly off tangent.

Slightly off tangent but Olympiakos put the yahoos out of the EC early doors in 74/75. I think the scores were 1-1 at the sty and 2-0 for the hosts in Greece.

Anyway, I remember the first leg and the Greeks had a playmaker who pulled all the strings, George Delikaros (sp) who had a magical left paw. (I think George was his first name)

So we'll fast forward to 2007 and were in The Rock Cafe, or something like that in Pefkos in Rhodes and I'm talking to the bartender whilst we're waiting on our drinks.

Scottish? Rangers or Celtic. - Rangers!

What about you? - Olympiakos.

I then told him about watching Olympiakos drawing with that lot in the EC back in 1974 and mentioned George Delikaros and he was impressed.

He then told me that in a recent poll back then, Delikaros had been voted Olympiakos' greatest ever player.

As I say, slightly off tangent.
Looking him up on Wikipedia it says that Celtic were actually interested in signing him.

I’m sure we were linked with Vojvodina’s keeper in 1968 as well. We could have had a wee Balkan contingent in Scotland fifty years ago.

Looking him up on Wikipedia it says that Celtic were actually interested in signing him.

I’m sure we were linked with Vojvodina’s keeper in 1968 as well. We could have had a wee Balkan contingent in Scotland fifty years ago.

Great find.

I'm sure in the aftermath of his performance at the sty, there was a wee snippet in one of the papers telling us that he lived something of a playboy's lifestyle, but he settled down after marrying the daughter of a Greek shipping magnate.

I just remember watching the highlights with my old man and him saying his left paw reminded him of Baxter.

Oh, and thank feck he didn't go to the yahoos.

Panathanaikos guy at my work says there is a bit of corruption towards Olympiakos in the league etc. Being in Greece, it wouldn't surprise me!
Sure it’s just a coincidence they have clover in their badge too…

Loads of Olympiakos bars in Cyprus when I lived there. The Rangers/Man U of the Greeks.

Edit: cover = clover

Olympiacos have a reputation for corruption on an epic scale, their owners were heavily involved in the EUs largest ever heroin bust.

It is some story...

I'd quite like to take in one of the derbies some day, is it easy enough to get tickets in general or if you pay a bit over the odds?

I'd quite like to take in one of the derbies some day, is it easy enough to get tickets in general or if you pay a bit over the odds?

I was meant to be going to PAOK in Feb but they banned fans for 6 weeks, going to go next season v Aris or Olympiakos now. Worked with a PAOK lad (main reason for trip) who seemed to say it was straight forward there. Think you need a fan card at some but they are cheap anyway.

Olympiacos have a reputation for corruption on an epic scale, their owners were heavily involved in the EUs largest ever heroin bust.

It is some story...

I'll read it more depth later, but with mention of 'The Wire', one of the script writers was a George Pelecanos, obviously of Greek extraction. I'm assuming why the programme was mentioned.

Since we're on an unusual delivery into Greek football.

Does anyone know why the English spelling of the team from Piraeus changed from Olympiakos to Olympiacos?

It is some story...
After reading that, how the hell did Evangelos Marinakis pass the EPL's Fit and Proper Person test?

No clue about that but Olympiacos were streets ahead of us in that pre season game under Beale.

They zipped it about well and were well worth the win.

Not an expert but I’ve backed Olympiakos at 33/1 to win the ECL.

Also, you should read up on their owner (same guy at Forest), an actual gangster of the highest level you can get linked to the biggest heroin bust in European history.

Edit just seen that was posted about above… should learn to read the thread fully.

Anyone that was staying in Paphos when we played Aris may have seen the PAOK fan club and the graffiti there.

“Your worst nightmare Gate 4” was one. I’m glad they didn’t realise the pub along the road had all the Bears in :D

Not an expert but I’ve backed Olympiakos at 33/1 to win the ECL.

Also, you should read up on their owner (same guy at Forest), an actual gangster of the highest level you can get linked to the biggest heroin bust in European history.

Edit just seen that was posted about above… should learn to read the thread fully.

Great shout. Was that at the start of the tournament?

Olympiakos are my second team and I watch them when I can (I'm over in Greece quite a bit), and the current owner Marinakis is a shady bastard. Olympiakos have been the strongest team over the 30 years because they have been able to sign some proper quality players usually at the end of their career looking for a payday, European competition and nice weather. James Rodriguez, Marcelo, Durdevic, Valbuena etc etc

There was a match fixing scandal a few years ago and foreign refs were brought in, even Bobby Madden got a few gigs.

Olympiakos supporters: Support their military on armed forces day, most of them work, love their country. Stadium named after one of the greatest Greek military commanders that freed them from the Ottoman empire. The most successful club in Greece.

Panathinakos supporters: Panty wetting victim ambulance chasers in green and white, full of antifa loving students and communists.

There are a couple of parallels here
b1e9fad8db71606d9678360589c44fd0.jpg

Olympiakos are my second team and I watch them when I can (I'm over in Greece quite a bit), and the current owner Marinakis is a shady bastard. Olympiakos have been the strongest team over the 30 years because they have been able to sign some proper quality players usually at the end of their career looking for a payday, European competition and nice weather. James Rodriguez, Marcelo, Durdevic, Valbuena etc etc

There was a match fixing scandal a few years ago and foreign refs were brought in, even Bobby Madden got a few gigs.

Rarely sell out will it? Do they have electronic ticketing etc?

Rarely sell out will it? Do they have electronic ticketing etc?
Yeah, electronic tickets with a few outlets, ie, next match vs AEK is a sell out (33k), I haven't been over this season, but home attendances have been lower I'm told, people only turning up for the bigger matches. A few of my relatives are season ticket holders.

Yeah, electronic tickets with a few outlets, ie, next match vs AEK is a sell out (33k), I haven't been over this season, but home attendances have been lower I'm told, people only turning up for the bigger matches. A few of my relatives are season ticket holders.

Thanks, seen it is sold out v Villa as you would expect. Matches at Pana always look very chaotic to me where as Olympiakos seems to have more order in the crowd.

You going to head over for the final?

Before they entered the knockouts mate. Final being in Athens was part of my thinking.

Crossed my mind that a Greek side would reach it. PAOK were in knockouts and it looked like Panathinaikos would join them as well.

Only problem is I never put money on it

Back