Archie McPherson or Arthur Montford ?

My abiding memory of Montford was some meaningless game on Scotsport and a team scored and hes giving it "Sensation Sensation " ....a tap in and two men and a dug behind the goal :D

Grew up listening to Archie McPherson, always remember him commentating on a match v Hearts when we were getting beat, Rangers had a chance - "Ohhh what a goal.................Just wide!!!"

Was jumping about like mad then it sunk in.

My abiding memory of Montford was some meaningless game on Scotsport and a team scored and hes giving it "Sensation Sensation " ....a tap in and two men and a dug behind the goal :D
He would wait till the ball was over the line then exclaim “A chance for (insert player name here)! It’s a goal! What a sensation!!”
My favourite Arthurism was when a corner came over he would shout “up go the heads!”.
My old man always said “whit, just the heads? No the bodies anaw?”.

Arthur Montford was a gentleman.

Archie McPherson is a self-important, pompous, blow-hard windbag.

(But probably the better commentator, to be fair.)

Having watched a few clips, I am now doubting my sanity.
Archie - BBC
Arthur - stv.

I get that.

But whit I for the life of me cannot remember was did both channels cover all highlights, or was it divided?

My favourite bit of Archie McPherson commentary came when we played Man U in the Champions League. “And here comes this player” as the little known Ryan Giggs went sprinting down the wing.

Archie for me.
I only remember one Rangers game with Arthur commentating IIlves Tampere.

Cooper Butcher Fleck - goal.

After Cooper takes on the whole team and rolls it to Fleck.
What
a
goal
Davie Cooper magnificent

I think they were both quite representative of their respective channels - Archie pompous, serious and professional, Arthur homely, hand-knitted and amateurish.
Would probably agree with that and would take either over today’s helium filled commentators, never mind nationalist sympathisers.

Archie was more clued up on the players and teams involved, and was the better commentator. Where as Arthur was as dull as dishwater.

Archie for me.
I only remember one Rangers game with Arthur commentating IIlves Tampere.

Cooper Butcher Fleck - goal.

After Cooper takes on the whole team and rolls it to Fleck.
What
a
goal
Davie Cooper magnificent
he couldn't have sounded less excited crap commentator imo

liked them both but got scunnered with McPherson in the season McLeish won the last league. I remember they were both on some football chat show with that unfunny comedian from Motherwell and McLeish got a dig in about the media writing Rangers off. All McPherson could do was stare at his shoes as he had been one of the biggest critics that particular season. It might have even been helicopter Sunday season :)

Last edited:
Arthur Montford was like a comfy pair of auld slippers, and Archie Mcpherson was the mavrick right enough lol. I grew up listening to both of them, I liked them both :)

Archie for me for TV. David Francey on the radio was absolutely brilliant at building a game up. He even had you sitting on the edge of your seat just by describing the weather at the game.

Archie all day long.

Arthur was on the same program as Ian Archer so that put me off him.

It’s insane to think that even scumbags like Gerry Mcnee and senior mentally challenged employees like Jock Brown were better commentators than the current crop.

Both they and Archie were on the mic for some of my fondest television memories of watching Rangers.

My main memories of Montford are of him presenting Scotsport rather than commentating as much, although what I do recall was fairly uninspiring.

Going slightly off topic, I hate the way the BBC seem to give John Motson god like status as a commentator. For me he was always a pompous old c88nt, and as far as BBC employees went Archie was a far more engaging voice on big games.

Last edited:
Archie for me but a special mention for Arthur, 5-1 game v nonce fc in 1988, Aitken makes an arse of controlling the ball and Arthur chimes in with 'Aitken is in a fankle'. We scored from Aitkens fankle. :))

It’s insane to think that even scumbags like Gerry Mcnee and senior mentally challenged employees like Jock Brown were better commentators than the current crop.

Both they and Archie were on the mic for some of my fondest television memories of watching Rangers.

My main memories of Montford are of him presenting Scotsport rather than commentating as much, although what I do recall was fairly uninspiring.

Going slightly off topic, I hate the way the BBC seem to give John Motson god like status as a commentator. For me he was always a pompous old c88nt, and as far as BBC employees went Archie was a far more engaging voice on big games.

Agreed on the Motty thing but he's seen as a trendsetter amongst modern day English commentators who think it's compulsory to ram so many stats down yer throat. Much preferred the likes of Coleman back in the day. "One nil"! Motson was lucky that Hereford caused the biggest FA Cup upset of the time.

Back