Arsenal v Rangers 1967, 500 Rangers fans take on Arsenal's North Bank.

i was far too young to have been at that game, but going to games in the 70s that's just what happened at most away games, be it Tynecastle, Easter rd, Dens park or Fir park, the bears would make a move on the section of ground the away fans usually congregated at ,and they would flee , in the case at Tynecastle the Hearts fans would be chased from their section below the cameras and end up at the far end corner flag where the shed roof turned the corner, hibs would be the same, chased from the large terracing and end up at the corner of the shed behind the goal

From the tales told, obvious why it took over 40 years for us to be invited back by Arsenal.

Strangely for all Hill-Woods' words, they provided the opposition for the Centenary match just six years later, though this would have been to recognise the historic connections between the clubs.

I was there, can't recall much really other than the guys with the flutes and drums, we were already in the other end and later getting pulled up by a few guys that were told to %^*& off down the road where there were plenty others that would accommodate them for a bit of fisticuffs, surprisingly off they went.

From the tales told, obvious why it took over 40 years for us to be invited back by Arsenal.

Strangely for all Hill-Woods' words, they provided the opposition for the Centenary match just six years later, though this would have been to recognise the historic connections between the clubs.
Nigel winterburn testimonial was 97-98 no?

i was far too young to have been at that game, but going to games in the 70s that's just what happened at most away games, be it Tynecastle, Easter rd, Dens park or Fir park, the bears would make a move on the section of ground the away fans usually congregated at ,and they would flee , in the case at Tynecastle the Hearts fans would be chased from their section below the cameras and end up at the far end corner flag where the shed roof turned the corner, hibs would be the same, chased from the large terracing and end up at the corner of the shed behind the goal
Hibs usually gave us a fight at the shed never ever won right enough

Last edited:
That was the one 3-3 . Seaman got it tight at our end.

It was all good humoured and Seaman loved it!

John Lucic shushing our end for singing, ''There's only one John Lucic!" (referring to the 92 CL game at Ibrox when he played for Leeds) :)

Ian Wright patting the streaker on the arse and asking him to leave the pitch!

Great memories of that game. First game I took my eldest son to. Travelled from Swansea to Luton to team up with the Luton Loyal lads and down to London from there. The boy wore a hat I bought him and waved a flag all the way back to Swansea on public transport. He was a 5 year old then.

Never heard this before and no doubt much of it will be exaggerated bullshit. Any Bears any recollection of the match ?

I was at that game as a young 12 yr old. I was down with family in London for a holiday. My Sisters pal who lived there was a big Rangers supporter and she took me. All I remember was us getting cuffed a bit of trouble at the Clock end and how small the ground was compared to Ibrox and Hampden .I think it must have been Alec Ferguson's first or one of his first games for us. Also our keeper Eric Sorensen ? having a poor game.

I was at the game in 1967, in my seventies now so I guess that makes me a Rangers Da now. I remember guys with flutes and a side drummer marching down from the top of the North Bank terracing. A lot of drink had been taken and I'm not defending that. I consider myself fortunate to still have my ST and will be at the game on Sunday. I think we just swamped the Arsenal support on the day and some of them took umbrage, fair enough, you just had to stand your ground though. Different times in those days.

I was at the game in 1967, in my seventies now so I guess that makes me a Rangers Da now. I remember guys with flutes and a side drummer marching down from the top of the North Bank terracing. A lot of drink had been taken and I'm not defending that. I consider myself fortunate to still have my ST and will be at the game on Sunday. I think we just swamped the Arsenal support on the day and some of them took umbrage, fair enough, you just had to stand your ground though. Different times in those days.
Exactly, I don't think anyone really has the right to criticise or take the moral high ground over football fans' behaviour 50 odd years ago. It was the done thing and every team's supports were at it.

It wasn't right but the same could be said about lots of things that happened years ago. Time moves on

This guy has cobbled bits together to make his video.
But yes this did happen, Rangers were in the North Bank alright and more than 500. This was the time of the skinhead thing starting at Arsenal and other clubs like Chelsea.
Rangers were in there early and some Arsenal tried to take the end back, didn’t fare too well. Some bottles lobbed as was the norm in those days. Frank Warren did mention what he saw that day.
Pretty standard for the times as Rangers went into every end in huge numbers and if there was opposition it was responded to.
As is often said, no one messed the Rangers support around then
P.S. pretty sure the Gers no 9 in the photo with his back to the camera during one of the match stoppages is Alex Ferguson.

Last edited:
Bang on. At Tannadice the Bears would just keep coming in and squeeze the Utd fans away into a wee knot at the corner.
Huge numbers at every ground. The local team just got swamped.

That was the one 3-3 . Seaman got it tight at our end.
iu

What you describe was my first visit to Easter Rd. Was about 10 mins to ko and it went down exactly as you say.

My old man was just starting to let me go on my own to old firm games, but I remember wanting to go down to villa and he nipped that in the bud. Even the dugs in the street knew there would be trouble down there.

You have to laugh I bet there is aulder bears who greet about the UB and younger generation miss behaving but where involved in stuff like this back in the day. Then brush it off with aye thats what we done back then.

Just shown this to my dad. My dad now in his 80’s worked in London at that time. He said he attended that match. His words about it are he was bladdred and all he can remember is battling with navvies. He said there was a lot of Irish in London then and they were drawn to the match. Wonder why? He stayed in Epsom in Surrey and stopped going to watch Arsenal after that game. His pal took him to Crystal Palace games

Just shown this to my dad. My dad now in his 80’s worked in London at that time. He said he attended that match. His words about it are he was bladdred and all he can remember is battling with navvies. He said there was a lot of Irish in London then and they were drawn to the match. Wonder why? He stayed in Epsom in Surrey and stopped going to watch Arsenal after that game. His pal took him to Crystal Palace games

Rangers and Arsenal were the Establishment clubs of the UK just before then. In fact, the relationship between both clubs was quite close due to the prior personal friendship of Bill Struth and his Arsenal counterpart Herbert Chapman. Southern Irish immigration into north London and Arsenal being for many their adopted club. What could possibly go wrong. ?

Yes.

The bears and Arsenal fans mixed outside for over an hour with no problems at all.
There was some trouble that day when a mob of Arsenal charged into Bears heading towards the away end at one point. Didn't see any major disturbances after though.

It was all good humoured and Seaman loved it!

John Lucic shushing our end for singing, ''There's only one John Lucic!" (referring to the 92 CL game at Ibrox when he played for Leeds) :)

Ian Wright patting the streaker on the arse and asking him to leave the pitch!

Great memories of that game. First game I took my eldest son to. Travelled from Swansea to Luton to team up with the Luton Loyal lads and down to London from there. The boy wore a hat I bought him and waved a flag all the way back to Swansea on public transport. He was a 5 year old then.
Yeah it was all good natured, I'm sure seaman intimated he didn't know the sash . Then a cry of seaman disnae know it rang out. I took the oldan to the game, and ended up pissing my mum off by keeping him out.
Luckily it was only a short trip home to Sidcup.

Also remember some trouble the previous season when we played two games in the Midlands on a Wednesday and Saturday in February of 67 against Stoke and Leicester City.

You have to laugh I bet there is aulder bears who greet about the UB and younger generation miss behaving but where involved in stuff like this back in the day. Then brush it off with aye thats what we done back then.
I'll dispute that. I was into all of that stuff and have never had a go at the ub, neither has anyone else I know.

I'm not a hypocrite and won't start being one now. These lads have had a lot of abuse and it's out of order. One example was when they were getting it on here for singing the famine song in the city centre. I thought there behaviour that day was exceptional and if I was younger I would probably have joined in myself. Unfortunately the years get shorter, the older you get. I'd love them to be expanded and take the whole front section of the Copland, then we could bury the, can you hear the copland sing, once and for all.

Yes

yes your probably right there memories fade as you get older but I am certain we did entertain Tottenham pre
Season in the 60s
early 70s i have vague memories of us playing Everton on the Friday night then spurs on the Monday night

I was there that day , it was bedlam in and around the ground. Loads of trouble at a tube station nearby as I recall . I was only nine at the time so it was a bit of an experience.

Love it.

Rangers and Arsenal were the Establishment clubs of the UK just before then. In fact, the relationship between both clubs was quite close due to the prior personal friendship of Bill Struth and his Arsenal counterpart Herbert Chapman. Southern Irish immigration into north London and Arsenal being for many their adopted club. What could possibly go wrong. ?
Arsenal were/ still are kind of until they gave that shower of shite £23m for biscuit hips. I was raging that cu*t was playing for them.

The guy who does those videos trawls the internet for stories and put them together. The basis to the stories are true but greatly exaggerated.
The titles are just click bait grabbing nonsense…
Here is his Man Utd V Rangers 1974 friendly vid, he's looking for validation that it actually happened.

:))

I think folk really did fight back then though, not go to an area they know they can be protected by the Police quite quickly, dance facing each other and have a wee game of chases whilst filming themselves. They maybe greet more at how ludicrous the notion has become.

Back