At what age did you hang up your boots?

still playing 5s at the min but thinking of hanging them up anyway now, legs can’t keep up

Still play (very these days) sporadically and always will as long as I'm physically capable. Still for the most part shite.

16. Something i regret everyday but i was a drunken wee (unt with zero application

14 , reaalised I wasn’t very good and seemed to fight somebody every game

started boxing and still wind my dad up wondering how he didn’t suggest it

I've only had 1 pair of boots at about 8 or 9 years old,I was that pish I never needed another pair

I stopped playing about 22 when I’d played a couple of season at amateur. Football was brutal at that level and wasn’t enjoyable for me. Got into coaching then and love it

11s chucked it about 18 when I got fed up playing with a hangover and fives at around 30ish because as much as I loved playing hobbling around for 2 days after is no fun at all

Retired from amateur at 40 as I was starting to get too many bookings for hacking down young flying machines running past me. However, I’m still playing seven a sides three times a week and I’m into my 50’s now. Once you retire from playing football for good there’s no going back so I intend to keep going for as long as possible.

38, hardly kicked a ball since. Little did I know that I had played with a form ACL for 10 years. Knee kept giving way, rested for a few weeks but played on. No wonder I wasn’t that good! Got Op done on ACL 2 years later aged 40, just never bothered playing again. Do Triathlon now.. Running in straight lines!!

Last game of competitive(ish) football I played at 38, sevens in a league down south, broke a finger then didn't play again for years, now at 48 (my current job) workmates convinced me to come to some fives, dislocated my shoulder in the first game. That's me done. :)

Im 44 and just bought a nee pair of boots. Didnt think that would be happening.
Just for outdoor 5’s.
But i have to have a ice bath after every game or i cant move for 2 days!!
Still love to play.

About 18 and then immediately into coaching. Still played fives until early 40's. Too old and past it now!!

Still playing fives but my knee is hanging by it’s remaining sinew. This year could see the end but determined not to be retired before Kenny Miller.

17. Lots of boys clubs in Dundee folded at that age so lots of boys came to my team and competition for places was fierce. I never got signed and gave it up after that.

I never had the confidence to try and play elsewhere especially against men as I was a skinny wee lad.

Last game of 11s I played was when I was 35. Stopped enjoying it when injuries started lasting longer. Loved playing from the age of 15 ... 20 years and some great memories. Got loads of other stuff to do now . 43 and still feel fit enough to play but I will leave it to the youngsters

Around 14-15 when I discovered bevvy and burds.

Had a kick about a good few years ago in my late twenties and was fucking gubbed lol!

26 and hadn’t played regularly since 18. Two dodgy knees and I had started to have two full days of sore knees after an hour of fives. Not worth it any more.

I stopped playing in the top local league a couple of years ago when I was 36. I got an injury that I had to rest for 8 months and I piled on 2 stone! I feel that my decision making and composure is the best it's ever been, but I just can't move quick enough. I'm sure these 18 year olds are getting faster every year!
I still play 11s at a lower level and 5s.
I love playing 11s, but playing in the top local league took up so much of my time, so I'm really enjoying having that time back.

Called it a day after 21. Unfortunately a boozer sponsored us.

Hair of the dog when we met up on a Saturday before the game.

Did 5s but was so unfit i was breathing out of my erse. Didn't enjoy it.

Gave up playing with Moorpark AFC at 47 , never kicked a ball since , 54 now and need a effin hip replacement

Latest posts

Back