Atmosphere - Fortress Ibrox

Scott McRoberts

The Atmosphere inside Ibrox this season has been getting better and better, culminating in the noise of the Rapid and Hearts game. To see the entire stadium in full unison again has been breath taking. For myself long may it continue and with both great performances on the pitch and from the stands, Ibrox will be a fortress again.

Amazing to see full stadium "bouncy's" back and fans getting behind the Union bears and of course the Govan front who have been belting out songs when the stadium goes quiet. Bring back the "to and fro" from Broomloan to the Copland as well. Overall we can see it is having an impact on the players, their tweets, interviews and social media posts all comment on the supporters. @Let's Go

It’s great to see but I still think we are nowhere near full potential or the noise generated v Kiev, Leeds and Parma for example .

I suppose times have changed and it may never be the same as before . Howard Wilkinson said after the Leeds games he couldn’t believe looking around and even the main stand and executive seats were up givin it laldy !

I do agree Axel, but it is definitely coming back, Sunday especially even down to the roar that went up with Flanagan's crunching tackle. More please :)

That tackle was amazing , I wonder if it was caught on camera ? There was an audible roar and more than any goal made me think” yes we are back “ .

Hearts tried to get wide and flannagan went “ take this “ and won the ball like a man posessed . Sportscene didn’t show it .

It it getting better and it CAN be where it used to be. The benchmark game for me will always be the Dynamo Kiev game and slightly behind that are the likes of Leeds, Marseilles, Parma, Man Utd and some of the Old Firm games too - interesting the stand out ones are Euro games not OF games.
A change is coming and there is a whole generation of young fans discovering and about to discover what the grand old place can sound like in full voice in unison. The Union Bears deserve great credit as do those who organise the card displays all of which add to the atmosphere on special nights.
Some people need a mindset change but I can see that coming. We've moved mountains in the last few years, but there's much work still to do, much to be energised and excited about.

We have a part to play in the stands - the players feed off us and we feed from them.

Together we are The Rangers.

It it getting better and it CAN be where it used to be. The benchmark game for me will always be the Dynamo Kiev game and slightly behind that are the likes of Leeds, Marseilles, Parma, Man Utd and some of the Old Firm games too - interesting the stand out ones are Euro games not OF games.
A change is coming and there is a whole generation of young fans discovering and about to discover what the grand old place can sound like in full voice in unison. The Union Bears deserve great credit as do those who organise the card displays all of which add to the atmosphere on special nights.
Some people need a mindset change but I can see that coming. We've moved mountains in the last few years, but there's much work still to do, much to be energised and excited about.

We have a part to play in the stands - the players feed off us and we feed from them.

Together we are The Rangers.

My son is 12 and has had a season ticket since 3rd division, you can see now he is truly "getting it", learning the songs, his excitement building and yaps for Scotland the whole way home. This is what it's about

No more I'll sail the Seven Seas no more I'll ever roam,
Mumble mumble mumble......

Doubt a lot of fans know all the words to all the songs.

It's the same at Scotland games (not that I go anymore)

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still Mumble mumble mumble......

Was up in the club deck on sunday, a great vibe all round the stadium. I can only see it getting better.special mention to the union bears they were tremendous.

It’s great to see but I still think we are nowhere near full potential or the noise generated v Kiev, Leeds and Parma for example .

I suppose times have changed and it may never be the same as before . Howard Wilkinson said after the Leeds games he couldn’t believe looking around and even the main stand and executive seats were up givin it laldy !
Last Thursday I was in the main stand (front) and the singing and bouncy at the end was in full swing

Last two games have been starting to get nearer to what it should be like.

I still say that it should have been so much better for the Rapid game. Started well at kick off and - as usual - faded until we scored. Same second half - long periods of silence until we got the penalty. When there is a lull, the team need us more.

It's easy to sing when we are winning or score a goal. The sign of a really top support is how they react when things aren't going so well on the pitch. We're rarely good at that. The manager and players have dropped so many hints this season that they needs us to with them all the way - not just when we are 2 or 3 up. When the players need us most we need to dig even harder. Rapid was a good 5 mins at the start, 5 mins after the equaliser and 10 mins at the end. The rest of the time you could only really hear the Rapid fans - is that acceptable ??

Last two games gives us something to build on. Let's do just that. Don't through away the bit of momentum that we've managed to start. Loads of room for improvement. No complacency.

Last edited:
Going to Ibrox this season has once again been good fun and long may it continue after the struggle of the last few years where it was our loyalty and sense of duty rather than enjoyment that was dragging us along.

I have always said atmosphere is created by what is on the park. The credit is due to the manager and the players and for us in response to what they are doing on the park.

That tackle was amazing , I wonder if it was caught on camera ? There was an audible roar and more than any goal made me think” yes we are back “ .

Hearts tried to get wide and flannagan went “ take this “ and won the ball like a man posessed . Sportscene didn’t show it .
Theres a crunching flannagan tackle in the highlights on RTV, not sure if its the 1 you refer too, Ejaria wins 1 right b4 it.

Theres a crunching flannagan tacjle in the highlights on RTV, not sure if its the 1 you refer too, Ejaria wins 1 right b4 it.

I think that’s the one it’s as if he’s steaming in to help his mate , absolutely levels the guy and whole stadium roared approval

Last two games have been starting to get nearer to what it should be like.

It's easy to sing when we are winning or score a goal. The sign of a really top support is how they react when things aren't going so well on the pitch. We're rarely good at that.

It’s always been like that MB. What separates the likes of Kiev and the last day of the season against the sheep in Smith’s first season was the fans were in a frenzy before the match.

We knew we simply HAD to beat the sheep or the title was gone and we also had been convinced by Souness that beating Kiev would give us a great chance to WIN the CL.

The magnitude of games and their perceived importance have a huge bearing on atmosphere. It’s always been that way.

Lastly, the other common factor in those games is the teams performance. Fans react to what they see on the pitch in Britain. Truthfully, I much prefer that to the clappy clappy drum drum organised stuff. It’s when it’s spontaneous that Ibrox sounds best.

Anyway, it’s great to see the belief coming back amongst our fans. A win against the tramps in December will really crank the volume up to 11 (Spinal Tap Loyal) :D

The atmosphere is getting better but like a lot of posters have said above, it should be better and we know it can be. I think the banning of The Billy Boys more or less killed a lot of peoples favourite so they wouldn't want to sing it if their seat is beside an exit where police and stewards stand.

The atmosphere on Thursday night between Tavernier scoring his penalty, Morelos scoring his goal and the blowing of the full time whistle was probably the loudest since the 4-2 win over Hibs under Warburton.

Also on Sunday the early Kent goal, Morelos' then Arfield's all being in the first half got the ground jumping. Second half the atmosphere was pretty dead.

Basically what I'm getting at is if the team score and drive at the opposition to get another goal the fans feed off that and the Ibrox roar is what it should be. We as fans should try to get the atmosphere going instead of relying on the team to get us up for it. Union Bears have certainly picked up on this anyway.

Enjoyed thursday and Sunday immensely definitely better atmosphere say again those flags like that in the broomloan round the whole stadium would be an amazing site love to see it every home game but we should defo do something for them visiting.

Loving it. Noise has been incredible. My son is 12 and he fell away from coming to games with me from around 2014 due to his love of golf. Took him Thursday and he was absolutley astounded by the noise levels and atmosphere. He said he wants his season ticket back. Told him he better a join a que

This is what many dont understand. The atmosphere is what attracts people to football. Everything else is secondary and that's why we must have safe standing asap.

It’s always been like that MB. What separates the likes of Kiev and the last day of the season against the sheep in Smith’s first season was the fans were in a frenzy before the match.

We knew we simply HAD to beat the sheep or the title was gone and we also had been convinced by Souness that beating Kiev would give us a great chance to WIN the CL.

The magnitude of games and their perceived importance have a huge bearing on atmosphere. It’s always been that way.

Lastly, the other common factor in those games is the teams performance. Fans react to what they see on the pitch in Britain. Truthfully, I much prefer that to the clappy clappy drum drum organised stuff. It’s when it’s spontaneous that Ibrox sounds best.

Anyway, it’s great to see the belief coming back amongst our fans. A win against the tramps in December will really crank the volume up to 11 (Spinal Tap Loyal) :D
Good points mate. I just expect more from the fans in times when it's not all plain sailing on the pitch - that's' when we can really make a difference. Lift and inspire our team and crush the opposition. That's what our objective should always be.

A win v the mentally challengeds in December and I will be disappointed if the roofs on each stand are still in tact !! ;):)

I have always said atmosphere is created by what is on the park. The credit is due to the manager and the players and for us in response to what they are doing on the park.

How do you account for singing before the teams come out to start a game?

The atmosphere is getting better but like a lot of posters have said above, it should be better and we know it can be. I think the banning of The Billy Boys more or less killed a lot of peoples favourite so they wouldn't want to sing it if their seat is beside an exit where police and stewards stand.

The atmosphere on Thursday night between Tavernier scoring his penalty, Morelos scoring his goal and the blowing of the full time whistle was probably the loudest since the 4-2 win over Hibs under Warburton.

Also on Sunday the early Kent goal, Morelos' then Arfield's all being in the first half got the ground jumping. Second half the atmosphere was pretty dead.

Basically what I'm getting at is if the team score and drive at the opposition to get another goal the fans feed off that and the Ibrox roar is what it should be. We as fans should try to get the atmosphere going instead of relying on the team to get us up for it. Union Bears have certainly picked up on this anyway.

This is key - and where it generally falls down for us at times. We can't sit back and just wait for something to happen. If we've not scored early we need to get our act together and lift the place. It's not difficult. It just needs a change in attitude.

Theres a crunching flannagan tackle in the highlights on RTV, not sure if its the 1 you refer too, Ejaria wins 1 right b4 it.

There was a bit in the 2nd half where a few hard tackles were put in next to the SJ stand in our half.
About 3 50/50 tackles and we ran away with the ball.

Before this season we wouldn’t have won any of them.
They tried to use their strength and their pressing game and we just kept calm fought hard and then Coulibaly and Ejaria had the class to find Morelos and Candieas who were sitting on the edge of their high defensive line.
It worked for them against scum, but not against us.

Four words

Safe Standing Copland Front
source.gif

Good points mate. I just expect more from the fans in times when it's not all plain sailing on the pitch - that's' when we can really make a difference. Lift and inspire our team and crush the opposition. That's what our objective should always be.

A win v the mentally challengeds in December and I will be disappointed if the roofs on each stand are still in tact !! ;):)

I agree with all of that. It’s not a new issue, though. Believe me.

In days gone by I could be seen moving up and down the steps in the CR shouting “sing!!!” at people like a drunken jakey :D In truth, I may have had the odd little warmer upper before the match in those days. LOL

Trust me. The Ibrox roar is well and truly on its way back.

Last thing, then I really need to get back to work. Haha. I can’t praise the UB’s enough for their tireless efforts to introduce new songs. We’re on our way being the latest. Unfortunately, TBB has been lost and will be lost because of strict liability. It becomes even more important to develop new songs or reintroduce old ones that won’t harm the club. The UB’s are doing a tremendous job on that front

We’re getting there. I can feel it my bones.

I believe :)

In days gone by I could be seen moving up and down the steps in the CR shouting “sing!!!” at people like a drunken jakey :D In truth, I may have had the odd little warmer upper before the match in those days. LOL

Last thing, then I really need to get back to work. Haha. I can’t praise the UB’s enough for their tireless efforts to introduce new songs. We’re on our way being the latest. Unfortunately, TBB has been lost and will be lost because of strict liability. It becomes even more important to develop new songs or reintroduce old ones that won’t harm the club. The UB’s are doing a tremendous job on that front

Good post mate. Copland Nutter MkII :D Loved him.

Yes - it feels as if it's coming back. Long may it continue.

UB's have to take a huge amount of credit. They have been sensational and utterly fantastic in their efforts. Can't speak highly enough of them.

I still think enclosure would be best for safe standing.

Not for me. Enclosures have a number of problems not least of which is they are split in two. Imagine having the central point of the Kop missing? Another problem is they wouldnt be seen on tv. We want the world to see our fans in action. It helps to promote the club.

Not for me. Enclosures have a number of problems not least of which is they are split in two. Imagine having the central point of the Kop missing? Another problem is they wouldnt be seen on tv. We want the world to see our fans in action. It helps to promote the club.
Has to be Copland or Broomloan Front.

Either way it just needs to get done ASAP.

Has to be Copland or Broomloan Front.

Either way it just needs to get done ASAP.

It’s the broomloan front . No brainer .

The club know the ageing population of the Copland don’t want to move , and despite the fact they can be told to shift at the drop of a hat , why would the club do that when all they need to do is announce BF as safe standing from next season as most of the book holders there are the ones who want to stand anyway ?

Agree with most of your post but don’t feel we should give up on TBB.
It needs one word changing.
Plenty other clubs fans using our bloody anthem.
No surrender to losing TBB

Agree with most of your post but don’t feel we should give up on TBB.
It needs one word changing.
Plenty other clubs fans using our bloody anthem.
No surrender to losing TBB

Agreed , on what planet would a judge rule that a song or tune is banned for one football club only, but allow everyone else to sing it?

Was a farce at the time , and remains a total farce today . Murray and Bain wanted it banned as well and went along with the charade . UEFA even sanctioned TBB at first but then appealed their own decision at the behest of some Austrian admin guy who Graham Speirs had written to .

It’s never gone away anyway .

It’s the broomloan front . No brainer .

The club know the ageing population of the Copland don’t want to move , and despite the fact they can be told to shift at the drop of a hat , why would the club do that when all they need to do is announce BF as safe standing from next season as most of the book holders there are the ones who want to stand anyway ?
Yes - i tend to agree with that now.

I was a 'Copland Front for safe standing' advocate. However, as you say, many of the Copland people are likely to kick up a fuss. Which is disappointing as they have contributed next to nothing to the atmosphere and vocal backing for the team in the last 25 years. 'Home end' ?? I don't think so.

BF should be a shoe in. Club need to stop dragging their heels and start moving on this ASAP. We have a generation of younger, energetic, innovative and enthusiastic fans (and guys and gals of all ages it has to be said) who want to stand and create an atmosphere to be proud of. It HAS to happen. No excuses.

The atmosphere of late has been brilliant, best at Ibrox for a long time, IMO. There's a belief in the team from the fans just now and long may that continue.

That said, I still reckon Safe Standing should be brought in regardless as that can only push the tempo even further.

The atmosphere of late has been brilliant, best at Ibrox for a long time, IMO. There's a belief in the team from the fans just now and long may that continue.

That said, I still reckon Safe Standing should be brought in regardless as that can only push the temp even further.
Yes - it has been better. The focus now is ensuring it stays that way and gets even better match by match.

There is definitely a space and a demand for safe standing within our stadium. It can help compliment the matchday experience and ultimately be a proper focal point to generate an atmosphere worthy of our club's stature. The club need to push on with this at earliest opportunity.

We all rave about things when we experience games like the last two at Ibrox - that must become the norm rather than the exception.

Yes - it has been better. The focus now is ensuring it stays that way and gets even better match by match.

There is definitely a space and a demand for safe standing within our stadium. It can help compliment the matchday experience and ultimately be a proper focal point to generate an atmosphere worthy of our club's stature. The club need to push on with this at earliest opportunity.

We all rave about things when we experience games like the last two at Ibrox - that must become the norm rather than the exception.

Perfectly put.

Whilst I would love to see The Billy Boys back in it's original (or any)version, I think in the 90's at times we relied too much on it. I remember games where it became virtually the only song that was sung.
We have a wonderful songbook with the added advantage of having 'cultural' songs to belt out and many new additions, but an Ibrox at full voice in unison giving it Hullo, Hullo is something else !!
hairs on the back of neck even thinking about it...

personally I'd like the hear The Sash sung more regularly and at full volume :)

Back