Bacuna set to join Birmingham

Did we pay a fee for him?
No got him for nothing and it was clauses based on performance with a sell on clause. Huddersfield chairman said back in September but when he refers to money back he means the £2m that they paid to sign him which they obviously won't get from the sale.

Rangers were interested in him back in January, they came back in and we ultimately did a deal where we didn’t get a transfer fee up front but we’ve actually done a really good deal. It’s appearance-based, European-based, with a big sell-on, we’ve got a significant sell-on, where we will ultimately at least get our money back.

Posted this in another thread yesterday.

Since we signed Kent in 2019 the vast majority have been squad fillers.

Take out Roofe, Hagi and Bassey this season.

We’re left with:
McLaughlin
Defoe
Balogun
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Wright
Sakala
Lundstram
Bacuna.

We really need to add quality to our starting 11, I know it’s not as easy as it is written done but I think it’s clear we’re needing something fresh in the 11 at times.
Some of Gerrard’s signings have been piss poor.
For whatever reason.

Apart from the top three McLaughlin, Defoe, and Balogun.
The rest just haven’t done it.
Sakala might yet.

But the majority, the others need to be replaced.
Probably in the summer.

That should free up some good money for wages.
Alone.

Yes, an EFL Championship player, but not a Rangers player I’m afraid.

Good luck to the lad all the same.
Seemed intimidated by surroundings and size of the club.
Just too overwhelmed playing the famous, and I think he sees that he may not be getting much time.When everybody is fit.

I think Candeias did the same thing when Kent arrived.
His nose was well out of joint!

Still…life goes on.

Last edited:

Juninho Bacuna set for Rangers exit as Birmingham City near agreement for Dutch midfielder​

Gio van Bronckhorst is open to allowing Bacuna to return to the English Championship in this window.

Birmingham City are closing in on a deal for Rangers midfielder Juninho Bacuna.

The Blues are keen on giving the Dutchman a return to the English Championship.

Birmingham are unable, as it stands, to cover what Bacuna is on at Rangers but an agreement looks likely to be struck.

The Dutchman moved to Rangers from Huddersfield in August but has struggled for first-team football.

Steven Gerrard signed him but he hasn’t had a lot of game time under his successor, Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

His fellow Dutchman is now set to allow him to leave.

Bacuna netted his only Rangers goal in a win over Ross County in November and has made 12 appearances since being signed by Gerrard.

It would be a return to the second tier of English football for the Curacao internationalist having joined from Huddersfield Town five months ago.
What a load of crap. No way a championship club can't afford the same wages we do. Unwilling, maybe. Unable, definitely not.

At the time, it was no fee but rising to £2m based on certain things.
Yeah, sure the Huddersfield chairman mentioned that. It was a deal based on how he got on.

Would be great to get 1 million for him but surely we would owe Huddersfield some of that?

If not, we have screwed them over.

I agree I feel he was a talented player and showed flashes but you know you at rangers you hardly ever get time I would keep him until at least the summer
Wasn't,isn't and never will be good enough for Rangers.
Going by his body language on the rare occasions we did see him I suspect his attitude is questionable too.
No loss to the club.

That Fred's a wage thief. Never even seen him play.

182241_1

Shame. Had seen flashes of a player in there. Think he just needed a run of games to find form.

Another body down in the CM/ "10" Role though. Need some players in.
For me, him leaving is evidence that we're bringing someone in.

Clutching at straws maybe!

If its true that fee is £1m then that's exceptional business. Gone are the days of paying off misfit players.
I find that very hard to believe, if it were true I think itd be detailed given how sensational it would be from Rangers perspective.

As far as paying people off its not dissimilar to putting rubbish players on high wages so we cant sell them, then seeing them not play and run a contract down before leaving for nowt. Its happening before our eyes as it has done many times before.

Yeah, sure the Huddersfield chairman mentioned that. It was a deal based on how he got on.

Would be great to get 1 million for him but surely we would owe Huddersfield some of that?

If not, we have screwed them over.
We didn’t pay a fee for Bacuna and the deal is that Huddersfield instead get a large percentage of any selling on fee

My guess is that it is 50/50

So if he goes for £2m (total with add ons etc) we get £1m and Huddersfield get £1m

If the rumours are true and we've got close to £500k for him, it was worth a punt when we signed him.

Though, going forward, I would prefer to bring in players to improve the starting XI.

Must have been shite in training, would think the Dutch coaches would give him a little extra leeway considering he is Dutch himself.

Worth a punt but it hasn't worked out. No way he was on much of a wage but its still something off the wage bill.

If its 400k as a fee then fair enough.

Didn't work out, at least he's away in the next window.
Birmingham paid £2 million for Cosgrove, Bacuna's worth about £5 million by that reckoning.
He might just do well there.

Bacuna reminded me of a lad called Ravel Morrison who is currently at Derby County. He starred in the Man United youth team and Alex Ferguson thought very highly of him but could not get a tune out of him when promoted to the first team squad. Since then he has been at many clubs, some big ones but always short term. Highly skilled but a fancy Dan who didn’t like to work off the ball. I wish Bacuna well. Just not good enough for us and players like that block the path of potentially better ones coming through our academy.

Back