Ballboys will not be allowed to hand the ball to players from next season in England

I suggested some time ago that a ball placed every ten metres or so on a cone or similar would eliminate the gamesmanship that ball boys/girls are being used for these days.
The ball is retrieved by the ball boy or girl and placed on a cone.
None of this throwing it back, or not, depending on the urgency, or lack of.

Edit: I should have read the link!
At least I did post it months ago.

At nearly every ground we go to in Scotland the ball boys rarely give us the ball and do their own team it slows us down.

Yes we use it against big European teams but we would gain more from this rule than lose.

It's a good thing
We’ve started to do it too.

Time wasting players in Scotland will just walk to another cone, the way a keeper decides he wants to move sides. This is an awful idea.

Crying out for visiting ball boys/girls every other space along the touch line lol the entertainment value alone as they fight for the ball is worth it surely?

What a lot of shite. So if ball goes in the crowd can a spectator chuck it back to a player?

Suck my baws whoever came up with this balderdash

just stop the clock when the ball goes out problem solved , player can take as long as they want with no effect to the “time wasting “
This is the only other way of doing it, other than that, I don’t think it a bad idea.

Sod that, its not always about the time, its the momentum, they try to break up the opponents play.
Stopping the clock would help. Any team wishing to maintain momentum could still do so, while teams trying to waste time would not gain from being slow at a throw-in.

What will happen if the ball goes to a fan and he throws it to the player about to take the throw in?

Instead the player must recieve the ball from the top of a cone.

L another fucking nonsense pointless rule being brought into the game.
Good to see them getting to the bottom of the important issues.
In the name of friar tuck ! Imagine Sir Stanley Matthews / Bill Shankly or any of our long departed heroes coming back to this shitshow, it’s like a fcuking circus now , between VAR , 4th officials , new handball rules , new phased offside rules and they want cones for n the side of the pitch with balls sitting on them , I’m old school but it’s nothing like real football, and that’s not even mentioning players like Ronaldo earning $213 million dollars last year ! the game is actually laughable now ffs x

you will just get snide opponents who will past the cone and kick the spare ball away just to slow things down.

they have this rule in Sweden or Denmark.

Stopping the clock would help. Any team wishing to maintain momentum could still do so, while teams trying to waste time would not gain from being slow at a throw-in.

It would make it worse. Watch today how long they take on throws if we’ve had a bit of pressure. If they have no limit it just gets worse.

Went to the West ham game vrs Bournemouth in January and noticed the cones and balls on top worked well no one to slow/speed the game up ball boy makes sure there is a ball on the cone at all times!

What happens if the throw in is taken and immediately put back out of play?

Do they need to wait for the ball boy to retrieve the ball and take it to the cone?

He could actually be passing by the player, but can't give him the ball!

That raises more questions question actually.
What happens if the ball boy does hand the ball to a player?
Is the ballboy sent off? 2 game touchline ban?
Seriously, what is anyone actually going to do if a kid gives the player a ball?

In the EPL they will get booked for that though. They don’t fuk about on time wasting antics like that now.

same over there, only time I've seen it done is usually late games and teams are chasing it.

starts some rammies as well.

can remember a game in Sweden a few years ago that managed to get the ball from the cone in play and on the immediate counter, only for the opponent to get the actual match ball that had rolled back onto the field and blasted it ahead of the counter attack forcing the ref to stop the game.

coaches and subs were involved they were that pissed.

late in the game and chasing a winner

If the balls are located around the pitch ontop of cones, is there any need for ballboys?
Unless you have balls that can put themselves on top of cones, I'd say you need ball boys.

And yes, I am aware how bad that first line sounds.

Of all the rules that need focusing on, this was not high on my list.
Just another step in making football more robotic. If they really want to cut down on timewasting, start booking and sending off goalkeepers for taking 2 minutes to take a goal kick.

Just another step in making football more robotic. If they really want to cut down on timewasting, start booking and sending off goalkeepers for taking 2 minutes to take a goal kick.
This is the epl that has introduced it, I’m sure this seasons change covers keepers taking too long already.

It should come from ifab and make all countries address it.

Hopefully get to see Mourinho praise a quick thinking cone one day, and make it’s day, by inviting the cone to whatever training ground to meet all players, which it will be able to brag about to all his other cone friends, just so things aren’t changing to much.

Instead the player must recieve the ball from the top of a cone.

L another fucking nonsense pointless rule being brought into the game.
Its to allow multi ball, without the accusations that the ball boys give the ball back to the home team more quickly than they do to the away team.

Some clubs in league 1 are already doing the new approach

The better way to counteract it would’ve been to invite both teams to have ball boys.
O'Neill tried that one down at Kilmarnock the last day of the season 2003 and was rightly told to bolt by the Killie board.

This could be a good thing, those mini mutants at Parkhead do a disappearing act when they go a goal up so having cones around the park will take away that particular part of gamesmanship when we visit that midden.

O'Neill tried that one down at Kilmarnock the last day of the season 2003 and was rightly told to bolt by the Killie board.

This could be a good thing, those mini mutants at Parkhead do a disappearing act when they go a goal up so having cones around the park will take away that particular part of gamesmanship when we visit that midden.
They used to sit in their wee stools right next to the corner flag, far too close to corner taker.

Back