Balogun

Followbear93

I know he's away and obviously we divided not so renew his contract and was
Surprised, in hindsight do you feel Gio has made a wee Mistake here ?

Loved the club
Had the turn of pace
And was LCB which we really only have Davies as Helander IMO will just continue to be injury prone, sands will do a job but would you have gave the big man a new deal? Very surprised he's no been signed up by another club as
Yet

Thoughts?

If the choice was giving King more game time or signing Balogun for another year then we made the right decision. I like the big guy too but we need to look forward.

Souttar has had 90 mins of competitive football for Rangers, he is better than that Livingston horror show.

Balogun was good but he’s getting old and he can’t play 2 games a week as it is. We’ve got Souttar, Goldson,Helander, Sands, King and Davies in there now.

There needs to be space for players like King to develop, we made space in the squad for Patterson and Bassey to come in as 2nd choice full backs and look how much money they’ve went for.

I was saddened to see Balogun let go. I think we could regret that maybe in the short term. Yes there were injury issues but they were less so than Helander and we signed Soutar who has long had the same issue. The difference for me was the pace of Leon. He wouldn't have been so easily beaten at Livi.

I liked Balogun but, he wasn’t exactly the epitome of reliability, like many of our other players tbf. He had probably the best two seasons of his life and we all thank him for his services and he’ll be fondly remembered, and he’s part of the clubs history.

FWIW I would have given him another year. But in Gio I trust

Still not signed for a new club.

Still in Glasgow.
350.png

Loved the club
Had the turn of pace
And was LCB which we really only have Davies as Helander IMO will just continue to be injury prone, sands will do a job but would you have gave the big man a new deal? Very surprised he's no been signed up by another club as
Yet

Thoughts?
Overrated . I'm comfortable he's away.

Loved the club
Had the turn of pace
Yet

Thoughts?

He isn’t a LCB. He just played there because of Goldson.

Don't know how anyone can say that when Souttar has played one competitive game, Davies hasn't played any and Sands has started on fire there.

That's before you even consider the fact we would have three injury prone centre backs on the books.

I was a fan of him and would like to have seen him get another deal until we at least got someone that was far better and fitter than him, his pace is something we will miss. Hopefully Davies and souttar prove to be much better.

he's unable to play twice a week, we already have helander and souttar with dodgy injury records, we dont need anymore. I'd have no issues playing king in most spl games.
King and Sands will hopefully see a lot of game time this year. Let's be honest it's Goldson +1 and there are 5 options at present for the +1

Loved the club
Had the turn of pace
Yet

Thoughts?

I really liked Balogun, but unfortunately his injuries were becoming more and more common.

That wasn't going to change at his age.

Nope no mistake.

He said he wanted to return to Germany, was prone to injuries and I feel we have better options. Plus strider on H&H had made a good point about not been the same after the Hibs semi final.

How is letting a 34 year old 20 game per season CB a mistake? He seemed a good guy but we need more than that nowadays

I’d have kept him and said so when released

I’ve never been convinced Souttar is a better player than him even when he was at Hearts. From his early start, I stand by that view.

The only advantage I could see with Souttar is the homegrown and being younger.

He was a brilliant signing for us. But he's not the same player he was when he joined, and we're recruiting a better standard of player than we were back then.

That's fair enough and a lot better than your 1st post. I think he could still have done us a turn but as you say, recruitment is upping the standards.

It was the right decision to let him go. On his day a great defender and did us a turn in 2020-21, but can chuck in a horror show from time (Malmö home, Hibs LCSF and to a lesser extent Sparta Prague away).

He’s injury prone and we can’t rely on his availability. We already have Helander and Roofe in that category in the squad. We were relatively strong in that department when he was released and now arguably more so.

I thank him for his service. Seems a decent guy too.

Loved the club
Had the turn of pace
Yet

Thoughts?

Based on Livingston alone, we’d have been better keeping keeping Balogun but I’m sure Souttar has more in his locker.

Davies might just take the LCB position though.

Bassey, had we kept him, would have been a far better option as the left sided partner to Goldson. We've got Davies to get up to speed. Balogun wasn't a natural as left centre back and wouldn't be ahead of either of those 2. He'd also have been behind a fit Helander.

So no. We were right to let him go. Current options if we can get Helander fit and once Davies is up to speed would be far better than Balogun. If we can't get Helander fit again then I'd be wanting better than Balogun as back-up.

Certainly not the answer. We need a settled back line, Balogun can't play game after game.

Time for; Tavernier - Goldosn - Davies - Yilmaz and stick with it until there is a possible injury. No point in paying £8m+ and not playing them.

Back