Balogun's contract

Balogun has played in Germany, UK et al (similiar to Kent) and that kind of experience is priceless in today's football environment. We are very good at creating an environment where players feel at home, continue to improve and thrive not only in the domestic scene, but internationally too.

We will continue to protect our players (investments) as the Eoropa League provides the right kind of exposure (or if you a scum player obviously not) that will make other European clubs aware of how we are developing talent at Rangers.

While the scum mismanage their players and inavertently lead to a reduction in the value of said players, results in Europe will continue to harm them further financially and it doesnt matter how many undervalued titles you happen to accumulate in Scotland, nobody considers that a feat.

However, add to the equation of us winning the league, watch our value soar further,!

Belt up Bears, we are in for one hell of a ride.

WATP
Champions League is they key if we can qualify for that a couple of times in the next few years the rewards aren't only prize money clubs will be willing to pay more for our prized assets

Champions League is they key if we can qualify for that a couple of times in the next few years the rewards aren't only prize money clubs will be willing to pay more for our prized assets
I totally agree however, the players also need to perform at that level too, to be seen as having value.

Getting humiliated 6-0 or 7-0 will only earn you the tag as being "cannon fodder" and again, this is detrimental as the scum have found out.

Only in Scotland is this considered acceptable when the Rings (I dont refer them as hoops) are concerned! Our media have lot to answer for but is a discussion for another day.

WATP

Even the world's best have a mistake in them.

I look around the English Premiership - not just the EPL - and there are very few world class centre backs these days.

An injury at the back and the likes of Manchester United and Manchester City are in trouble. In our league, the bheggars don't have a decent central defender between them.

We've got four. Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Katić. All four have shown their qualities, all four have produced on the big stage. On top of that we've another two below them with potential; Mayo and Edmundson.

Correct. Some cant see it yet but will. That block he did on Thursday would never had been made by Helander, lad scores and the game would probably been lost. Speed of foot at the highest level is the difference between winning and losing.

The block wouldn't have but Helander probably wouldn't have needed to make it in the first place. He doesn't need to recover often mate. He reads the game as well as any CB we've had in the recent past.

It's a bit simplistic just to say that Helander wouldn't have done this or that from the game as he is a CB who has different qualities and, all in all, is probably a better bet than Balogun for the bigger games. But there's certainly no drop off in quality regardless of who plays.

I totally agree however, the players also need to perform at that level too, to be seen as having value.

Getting humiliated 6-0 or 7-0 will only earn you the tag as being "cannon fodder" and again, this is detrimental as the scum have found out.

Only in Scotland is this considered acceptable when the Rings (I dont refer them as hoops) are concerned! Our media have lot to answer for but is a discussion for another day.

WATP
Our recent performances in Europe make me believe that realistically we'd lose a few group games in the champions League but give me confidence that we will never take an absolute scudding

The block wouldn't have but Helander probably wouldn't have needed to make it in the first place. He doesn't need to recover often mate. He reads the game as well as any CB we've had in the recent past.

It's a bit simplistic just to say that Helander wouldn't have done this or that from the game as he is a CB who has different qualities and, all in all, is probably a better bet than Balogun for the bigger games. But there's certainly no drop off in quality regardless of who plays.

Ofcourse your points are valid but what do you class as the " bigger games " because I think the euro games are way bigger in my mind and Balogun appears to be getting the nod in these. Nice problem to have though...compare it to the shitshow across the city.

Ofcourse your points are valid but what do you class as the " bigger games " because I think the euro games are way bigger in my mind and Balogun appears to be getting the nod in these. Nice problem to have though...compare it to the shitshow across the city.

I think if Gerrard had to pick his very top team for an unnamed opponent then he'd chose Helander. I feel he chooses either based on the type of striker they will come up against. But if pushed, Helander would be his choice as the best of the two imo.

But as you say a superb problem to have.

Our recent performances in Europe make me believe that realistically we'd lose a few group games in the champions League but give me confidence that we will never take an absolute scudding
You make a very valid point and I agree.

I also noted that Benfica, arguably a CL team, put 5 past us despite us being ahead and with very little time lefz to play.

Teams at that level can really hurt you, if your concentration levels fall only slightly.

I think if Gerrard had to pick his very top team for an unnamed opponent then he'd chose Helander. I feel he chooses either based on the type of striker they will come up against. But if pushed, Helander would be his choice as the best of the two imo.

I don't mean this as disrespectful as it sounds but I believe this well oiled machine we now observe could mince all before them in the league with all kinds of combination of squad player. The euro games are our true test now. I believe we can rub shoulders with the best now on this learning curve. There are obviously better teams out there but we are making up the ground fast.

Definitely up for that. He's got a mistake or 2 in him for sure, but generally solid and his recovery play is superb. That block last night was top drawer.
He probably learns that from Goldson who's stupidity near cost us again the other night

I rate him -
I'd argue he deserves a longer contract based on his performances

Those posts above pointing out his mistakes are - imo - being selective
He's made no more mistakes than Goldson or Helander & is just as good as either imo

Hope he's here for a while - I feel safe with him in the team

Honestly can’t believe we managed to find an experience centre back on a free with as much class as this guy has. Brilliant signing. I like helander but this Balagun cost us nothing and looks better. Compared to a £7m Julian and this crazy £2m loan for Duffy. Balagun is proper value and proper good work, proper player.

... and he is a Berliner! :cool:

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but according to wiki Helander has played 13 games, Balogun 11. There was also that match Balogun got injured in warm up. If not for that it would be 12 and 12.

There is a slight indication, based on the last couple of games, that Balogun has the jersey in the manager’s eyes for the games that really matter. But given the way the manager has rotated everyone outside of the keeper, wing backs, Goldson and Kent, it’s hard to say.

I would say there is very little objective evidence that Gerrard has a strong view over either Helander or Balogun.

It is horses for courses, although Balogun seems to be riding some positive momentum right now.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but according to wiki Helander has played 13 games, Balogun 11. There was also that match Balogun got injured in warm up. If not for that it would be 12 and 12.

There is a slight indication, based on the last couple of games, that Balogun has the jersey in the manager’s eyes for the games that really matter. But given the way the manager has rotated everyone outside of the keeper, wing backs, Goldson and Kent, it’s hard to say.

I would say there is very little objective evidence that Gerrard has a strong view over either Helander or Balogun.

It is horses for courses, although Balogun seems to be riding some positive momentum right now.

It is horses for courses mate but all the qualifiers where we had the pressure of going out if we lost was Helander and the old firm game, which is our biggest game, was also Helander.

As I've said a few times- it us horses for courses and it's not the case that one is being rested or anything. More that they think each handles different types of attacks better.

But I stand by my view that if you asked Gerrard to pick his very top team without him knowing the opponent then he picks Helander.

Anyway, it was me that started the thread so it's hardly as if I'm critical of Balogun.

I dont think the start of the season alone can be used to reflect the situation now.

Helander was an established member of the squad and Balogun was the newbie. In addition, LB was injured around this period? So not available for selection for some of those games I think (could have my dates wrong, first point still stands).

No way Lincoln Red Imps is getting classed as a bigger game than Benfica either. Your point probably only really stands for the Dutch and Turks (if LB was fit for selection then, I dont quite remember).

I dont think you are critical of LB at all. You dont appear to be one of those odd balls who thinks there is a massive disparity in abilities.

Helander was undoubtedly first choice when it mattered at start of season (albeit injury diminished Balogun's ability to impact this). Helander's poor performance away in Benfica and Balgoun being excellent midweek probably leaves them at worst neck and neck, although I think LB probably has a slight advantage being selected for big games.

Very little in it. Depends if you want LBs pace, or what appears to be Helander's cultured/European defending.

I think its a real coin flip on the manager picking his best team right now. At this exact moment it may even be 55/45 LB.

I dont think the start of the season alone can be used to reflect the situation now.

Helander was an established member of the squad and Balogun was the newbie. In addition, LB was injured around this period? So not available for selection for some of those games I think (could have my dates wrong, first point still stands).

No way Lincoln Red Imps is getting classed as a bigger game than Benfica either. Your point probably only really stands for the Dutch and Turks (if LB was fit for selection then, I dont quite remember).

I dont think you are critical of LB at all. You dont appear to be one of those odd balls who thinks there is a massive disparity in abilities.

Helander was undoubtedly first choice when it mattered at start of season (albeit injury diminished Balogun's ability to impact this). Helander's poor performance away in Benfica and Balgoun being excellent midweek probably leaves them at worst neck and neck, although I think LB probably has a slight advantage being selected for big games.

Very little in it. Depends if you want LBs pace, or what appears to be Helander's cultured/European defending.

I think its a real coin flip on the manager picking his best team right now. At this exact moment it may even be 55/45 LB.

Yeah it's very close between them.

Regards the qualifiers though, I didn't necessarily mean every one was bigger than a group game. Of course it's not. But Willem II and Galatasaray were certainly loseable and more critical than a group game. I only offered these and the old firm as "evidence" of helander being slightly more favoured.

But equally could just be coincidence. You won't get any arguments from me either way.

The bold Tailwind calling others "oddballs" despite the fact he DMs fellow posters strange messages and makes up lies about our fans/Helander :D

Yeah it's very close between them.

Regards the qualifiers though, I didn't necessarily mean every one was bigger than a group game. Of course it's not. But Willem II and Galatasaray were certainly loseable and more critical than a group game. I only offered these and the old firm as "evidence" of helander being slightly more favoured.

But equally could just be coincidence. You won't get any arguments from me either way.
For sure Helander has played in more “key“ games. Those 2 difficult qualifiers. Old Firm. Benfica away.

As I say, can’t remember if LBs injury accounted for any of those earlier games.

My bold prediction is that although Helander had the shirt or position as Goldson’s preferred partner at the start of the season, it will be LB who has that role by the end of the season.

Albeit I expect both players to share a lot of the matches with Gerrard’s obvious rotation policy.

You really have to question Brighton also in that we had an ex-Brighton duo up against Benfica last night while a more regular ex centre half of their's sat on a bench elsewhere in Europe.

Brighton stitched up the poets wi Duffy ....that'll do me

No mate, just a years deal as he signed in the summer & a possible years extension.

So I imagine if someone did approach him on a pre-contract in January we would be given a chance to match?.

Not sure how these ‘possible extension’ clauses work to be honest but I’d rather have him tied down than any chance of him getting a pre-contract offer.
my mistake i would think we had first option on him if someone was interested.

A class act and a brilliant find. Not as good as Helander but what a brilliant back up option.

Our defenders;

Goldson, Helander, Balogun, Katic (when he's back).

Solid.

If you are Balogun I think staying is a no brainier. I can't see him getting many better or bigger clubs at his stage of career and he can see he is becoming a key part of something special. Get him signed up and get some medals and cups in the bag.

Back