Ban on betting firm shirt sponsors coming

SGL

Despite no definitive link between such advertising and problematic behavior, the moralists have made the case and it seems the government has fallen in line.

Remember when they did it with smoking adverts and finished snooker.

Smoking that is actually a killer and now prohibited indoors in public.

For millions of people choosing to have a bet with their own money, a legal past time is not the same as smoking.

Anyone agreeing with this is agreeing with the start of being told what you can and cant spend your money on. Both in terms of what on and how much. That’s where this is going with betting in the UK.

I notice they are still quite content telling people the money we all lost on the lottery pays for Olympic medals and is a beautiful thing. Can it not pay for our own football team ?

Despite no definitive link between such advertising and problematic behavior, the moralists have made the case and it seems the government has fallen in line.
Another piece of nonsense imho.

People saying things like good have no idea the damage that mentality does - don’t complain when the nanny state (especially in Scotland) step it up a gear and start targeting the things you enjoy like alcohol etc
They already have

Interesting if this will go through. There’s no bargaining chip on the betting side either as I think most operate out with the UK. Thus meaning they can’t threaten to move their tax elsewhere

If C R Smith had been R C Smith , doubt would have been on our shirt !

I gamble with Bet 365 , on horses and football .32 RED appear to be online site for slots , cards etc so of no interest , but if they offered horse and football bet facility , I would not switch . I been betting long before online betting was available , adverts have no influence on me . Have never smoked in 68 years . and I drink whatever lager meets my taste bud requirement ! ( No pun intened )

We are very quickly heading for a complete Nanny State. It's getting quite worrying how many things just get banned because someone says it's not good for everyone.
I agree with other measures/actions drawing us towards a nanny state,
but you have to consider the unspoken thoughts in kids heads as they
start following football

"why are gambling and booze logos bigger than our wee badge, surely our badge is more important dad/mum coz thats about football, should I gamble
when I grow up, will it make me a better footballer?"

If sponsorship didnt increase business then betting firms wouldn't pay to sponsor teams or advertise at sports events outside of horse racing. Clearly there's a business case for them doing so. That doesnt establish a link between betting industry sponsorship of sport and problem gambling. The betting industry still does far too little to tackle problem gamblers. Ending sports sponsorship isnt going to make betting firms more responsible when it comes to excluding problem gamblers and preventing them from accessing betting accounts or using high st shops.

start following football

"why are gambling and booze logos bigger than our wee badge, surely our badge is more important dad/mum coz thats about football, should I gamble
when I grow up, will it make me a better footballer?
"
"You cannot be serious" (c) J McEnroe.

start following football

...Said no kid ever

Not necessarily. In fact, not at all.

Surely less potential sponsors, means less competition and less desire for a potential sponsor to pay us more to be our sponsor?

Especially when you look at how many British teams are sponsored by betting company's. More teams looking for a sponsor at a time when there's less company's able to sponsor us means we could take a hit financially?

start following football

Aye I’m sure a young fan thinks like that what a lot of garbage

start following football

It is the job of parents to raise the child, not the state.

People saying things like good have no idea the damage that mentality does - don’t complain when the nanny state (especially in Scotland) step it up a gear and start targeting the things you enjoy like alcohol etc
They already have. Minimum pricing. Harshest covid rules. Restricted selling times.

The issue I, and a lot of politicians, have is the behaviour of the betting firms towards lucrative/problem (delete as applicable) gamblers.

Betting firms have "VIP" teams that reach out to people with gambling problems, and do all they can to keep that revenue rolling in, regardless of affordability.

Haven't made as many bets this month? "Here's a £200 bonus in your account".

Lost £10k with us this year? "Here's tickets to the FA Cup Final, now remember, we're the only people that that look after you. Have a free £100 bet while you're there".

Look at their predatory methods with the FOBTs. Quite happy for people (usually on low incomes with cash in their pocket) to lose hundreds of pounds a minute, and lobbied like crazy for them to be able to continue doing it. Threatened shops closing etc etc.

This nonsense of "when the fun stops, stop". It's not as easy as that when you've just lost your week's wage and you need to go back to your family and explain. Or do you gamble more and try and get out your slump. Also "loss limits" being advertised as if it's a good thing. "limit how much money we can take from you".

The sooner we get away from providing a platform for these companies, the better. If people want to gamble, they can gamble. It isn't stopping it happening, just stopping the advertising of it which may bring in new, potential problem gamblers with the promise of big riches on this new Cleopatra slot game crap, or drag back people with problems that may be doing everything in their willpower to stay away from.

Surely less potential sponsors, means less competition and less desire for a potential sponsor to pay us more to be our sponsor?

Especially when you look at how many British teams are sponsored by betting company's. More teams looking for a sponsor at a time when there's less company's able to sponsor us means we could take a hit financially?
If it happens, everyone will move on and we will seal a deal with another company from another sector to be our shirt sponsor.

I am not concerned.

Would be good to have tennants again, or Carling looks good. But they'll probs ban alcohol adverts too.

Will be interesting if they go through with this, the tv deal the English premiership is with sky who have their own betting company, Where does it stop ?
Sky sold Sky bet a few years ago, the name is just licensed now.

We are very quickly heading for a complete Nanny State. It's getting quite worrying how many things just get banned because someone says it's not good for everyone.
Whilst I hate the direction general life is heading towards, betting advertising like it is needs patched completely. It's marketed like it's a laugh with some mates when the reality for a lot of people is it is a serious problem. They are chucked in our face at every opportunity. I can't wait to see the back of them.

start following football

Personally don’t like having betting or alcohol sponsors but if they pay the most then thats all that matters.

Not a disaster - gambling ruins the lives of many and it seems to be advertised very heavily despite all the "bet responsibly" stuff

As a student i worked for Ladbrokes - put me off gambling seeing people lose their wages the day they got them

Back