Barisic / Halliday

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Didn't see game last night (forgot to periscope it) but I watched some highlights and read FF.

Halliday seems to have made a difference when he came on and a cracking goal.

Was Barisic particularly good or bad in his 75 minutes though? Did AH improve us or was it more good play on the left? Have we a selection dilemma?

Superb finish from Halliday (Arfield take note, power, no tame passes back to the keeper), but aside from finishing that chance I don’t think he did anymore than Barisic, who I admit has been disappointing lately and looked very nervy.

Also as someone else rightly points out, Kilmarnock were absolutely gassed by the time Halliday came on.

Barisic had a decent game I'd say. Didn't have too much to do, but he definitely was more physical tonight, strange sub I thought - thought Barasic would have benefited from another 90.

Barisic is a Croatian internationalist, but he's been unable to cement the left back spot.

On paper he's ahead of Halliday, but I expect Halliday to start on the plastic on Sunday and that's why Gerrard gave him a run towards the end of the game last night, to keep him sharp.

I still think Barisic will make the spot his own in time, but at the moment there's healthy competition between the 2 of them.

Only thing Halliday done that Barisic didn't was score, but Barisic put great deliveries in all night and won the ball back up the pitch quite a few times

Looks shot of confidence. Any time he received the ball he stopped, turned and played it back to worral. Therefore he slowed play down a lot, meanwhile at the other side Tav was driving at them. I'd expect halliday to start at Hamilton.

Superb finish from Halliday (Arfield take note, power, no tame passes back to the keeper), but aside from finishing that chance I don’t think he did anymore than Barisic, who I admit has been disappointing lately and looked very nervy.

Also as someone else rightly points out, Kilmarnock were absolutely gassed by the time Halliday came on.
I don't like to be highly critical of our players, particularly after such a resounding victory but that is something I've noticed about Arfield this season. He often tries to side foot shots but rarely gets the right connection when he does so resulting in a trickle towards goal.

Don't get me wrong I rate him highly but his insistence on trying to place every shot is frustrating in tight games.

I think barisic actually played quite well yesterday. He was busting his gut to be available on the overlap with Kent at every attack but Kent often elected to turn inside and take the man on, usually successfully.

Barisic is clearly a very good player with pace, forward thinking and great delivery. I think as mentioned above he's suffered from lack of confidence since his injury. We should give him time because he has shown what he can do on the left.

It's also good that we now have a player in Halliday that we can rely on if we need someone to score a cracker!

Thought Barisic looked much improved last night and was showing some fight. Would still take Halliday for the bigger games just now though.

Barisic against St Johnstone was a total sh!tebag.He never bombed forward or down the line and opted every time to just cut inside and roll the ball along the back line.

I thought he was going to repeat this again last night but after playing within himself for the first 20 mins he came onto a game and improved.

Halliday from the off was looking to get forward and link up with Kent & looked far more confident than Barisic.

very average performance from him. Halliday would be my choice at LB as he deserves it imo

Halliday for me all day long. was at the game, BB only started playing good once they lost a man

Didn't see game last night (forgot to periscope it) but I watched some highlights and read FF.

Halliday seems to have made a difference when he came on and a cracking goal.

Was Barisic particularly good or bad in his 75 minutes though? Did AH improve us or was it more good play on the left? Have we a selection dilemma?

I thought Barisic had a pretty decent game last night outwith his crossing. His crossing was abysmal.

Halliday did well for the time spent on the pitch and continues to impress me at left back. He looks like a player who's playing with a point to prove and that can only be a good thing.

I'm now at the stage where I'd personally play Halliday in the 'bigger' games and use Barisic against the lower opposition as I still feel he has a way to go to adjust to the physicality of this league.

Tough for manager...how to give someone game time without playing them in games?

I'd have Halliday in personally.

Barasic and Tav were great outlets all night with good link up play, Davis and Halliday coming on gave us added drive and impetus in the last 20 minutes.
Interesting to hear SG say he was able to rest people with Sunday in mind. Defoe being the obvious one but wonder if Davis and Halliday will also come into the fold

I thought Borna played really well. He broke up play, drove forward, and worked well w/Kent. Clearly carrying a knock as rested towards the end. I haven't seen any highlights but that's my view. He was in about the goal celebrations, too.

Barasic and Tav were great outlets all night with good link up play, Davis and Halliday coming on gave us added drive and impetus in the last 20 minutes.
Interesting to hear SG say he was able to rest people with Sunday in mind. Defoe being the obvious one but wonder if Davis and Halliday will also come into the fold
I thought he meant 'rest = take off early', i.e., Borna/Kamara/Arfield

The one key difference for me between Halliday and Barisic is in Haliday's aggressiveness and Barisic's lack of it.

Barisic doesn't seem to believe he can impact the play going forward at all, and as much as his delivery is good a lot of the time he seems to do it just to get shot of the ball, or have to think about what to do next. What you are left with is some deliveries that look great into the box but no real assists. Also it is difficult for a forward to read what he is going to do and time appropriate runs.

Halliday doesnt seem to suffer from any of the above. And in parts has shown far better and more constructive attacking intent than Borna, coupled with a much higher level of aggression.

Despite what I alluded to after the St J game, Borna is a very good footballer. There is a player in there I am sure, but honestly for me, that player is hiding currently.

Barisic was decent last night. Did nothing wrong of note and crossed some very good balls into the box at times.

There's a wee agenda developing against him, though.

Tries to sidefoot everything and takes the sting out all his efforts.

Quite infuriating

He does an awful lot for the team Arfield, but agree about his finishing.

A better more clinical finisher would be at about 15 goals this season based on the positions Arfield gets himself in. The clamour for a number ten wouldn't be as loud if this was the case either.

He makes us tick though, so does deserve a lot of credit.

Reactions: TQ3
Barisic was decent last night. Did nothing wrong of note and crossed some very good balls into the box at times.

There's a wee agenda developing against him, though.

Totally agree man, I went in heavy on him after Sunday EDIT Saturday and allowed a critical element to take over. He doesn't deserve to be slaughtered and do think the Barisic that starts next season will be unrecognisable from the one we are getting now.

Barsic needs to build his confidence and be more comfortable in his position playing for us. As he gets more familiar with us he will get better. Needs that bit more time, I anticipate he will be excellent I just time.

Barisic is a better player than Halliday and should make left back position his own.

I like that Halliday is an able deputy to cover for injury or lack of form that might afflict Barisic from time to time.

He does an awful lot for the team Arfield, but agree about his finishing.

A better more clinical finisher would be at about 15 goals this season based on the positions Arfield gets himself in. The clamour for a number ten wouldn't be as loud if this was the case either.

He makes us tick though, so does deserve a lot of credit.

Oh absolutely I think he's integral to us but all his shots that have been saved have been like passbacks

Its a tough one. Barisic looks to have lost alot of confidence but we know the quality is there - I think Gerrard is sticking with him to reignite his confidence.

Halliday can feel unlucky to lose his place anyway after his performance in the win against the bheggars and a few other performances.

Borna was much better last night and I'd play Halliday instead of Arfield. Halliday can strike a ball better and you can see his movement is very good as well so would get into the same positions as Arfield.

Barisic is a Croatian internationalist, but he's been unable to cement the left back spot.

On paper he's ahead of Halliday, but I expect Halliday to start on the plastic on Sunday and that's why Gerrard gave him a run towards the end of the game last night, to keep him sharp.

I still think Barisic will make the spot his own in time, but at the moment there's healthy competition between the 2 of them

So what's the line up for Sunday. We cannot treat anyone with disrespect and Defoe cannot play the lone striker. I don't trust Lafferty on his own so do we change the balance of the team and go 442.

I don't know why Barisic and Halliday are forever being compared.

Barisic is a left back playing at left back, Halliday is a midfielder covering at left back.

Halliday has more of an eye for goal because of this and his goal showed that.

Barisic was much improved from Saturday and done a lot of selfless running down the flank to take players away from the middle of the field.

Barisic is still adjusting to the Scottish game and I think his 'physical confidence' is a bit shot from his recent injuries - that will just take time but the talent is clearly there. I think he needs boxing training or something to build up his aggression a bit!

So what's the line up for Sunday. We cannot treat anyone with disrespect and Defoe cannot play the lone striker. I don't trust Lafferty on his own so do we change the balance of the team and go 442.

It could easily be a diamond of Kamara, Jack, Arfield and Kent, with Defoe and Lafferty up front Woodrow.

Alternatively, Gerrard may feel a midfield 3 of Kamara, Jack and Arfield will create a better quality of supply than Defoe got v St Johnstone last Saturday and go 4-2-3-1 again.

It's a hard call which way he'll go I reckon mate.

On Sunday if going 2 up top then I would have Kent, Kamara, Jack and Candeias in midfield with Defoe and Lafferty up top. Kamara and Jack are great at reading the game and covering ground letting the wide players and fullbacks push forward and provide the creative spark.

Borna screams like a girl.

Halliday roars like a bear.

I'm confident Borna will come good. I think he just has to believe he's a lot better than the sh*t he's up against, whilst toughening up a bit.

Hopefully it will only take a bit of time.

Barasic played well. I thought one or two of his deliveries were really dangerous but in general that wasn’t quite as evident as earlier in the season. Defensively I thought he did well and he worked well with Kent

Barisic didn’t really do a lot wrong to be fair to him. I think he’s just taking a bit longer to adjust to our game.

He’s a Croatia internationalist. Let’s remember that
I worry about Barisic.
Undoubted talent, I just wonder if our frantic game suits him.
He’s a better footballer than Halliday but you can’t easily replace Halliday‘s heart and desire.
Sometimes that’s more valuable than skill, so long as others are providing the skill.

Barisic did well last night, without excelling. He was overlapping well and giving Kent options/stretching the Killie back line. Put in some wicked crosses, I'd say alot of them weren't directed at anyone but were put into dangerous areas with real pace. Was fine defensively.

On Sunday if going 2 up top then I would have Kent, Kamara, Jack and Candeias in midfield with Defoe and Lafferty up top. Kamara and Jack are great at reading the game and covering ground letting the wide players and fullbacks push forward and provide the creative spark.

Can't see us going with just 2 midfielders mate.

Gerrard has commented previously about how he hates being outnumbered in the middle of the park.

We need to win enough ball to supply our creative players.

I would go the same team but Defoe for Morelos. The reason we never scored against STJ wasn't because Defoe can play up top alone, it was because we didn't play to our strengths one bit. Defoe would have done well last night with the one touch passing and fast low crosses we were doing, instead of taking an eternity before floating in a ball expecting him to win a header against a 6'3 Jason Kerr.

Back