Barisic on his relationship with Gerrard

Barasic will be a star this season.
Meanwhile.... Grezda: what is happening with this guy? He hasn't even featured in any of the reserves or youth, close-doors matches. Is he injured, or is he for the exit?

Borna has the ability to be as good as Numan, Papac et al. If he is ready to battle and fight for the club he can be our LB for years.

This is make or break season.
I love the pre-season optimism.

On the left flank there’s Borna “with the ability to be as good as Numan

On the right, according to another thread “Tav is amongst the best right backs in the world”

On the right, according to another thread “Tav is amongst the best right backs in the world”

Its what being a football fan is all about.:)) Plenty time during the season for the depressing reality to set in - most of the time. Not this year though.;) Let's enjoy the here and now.

Saying all the right things and is clearly knocking his pan in to try and make it with us. Seems a really good guy so you can't help but wish him well.

He has had a good preseason so far and Flanno getting injured as well has given him an in. He really needs to grasp it with both hands.

We quite literally cannot expect to have two bombing fullbacks and STILL not expect to not concede goals from out wide.

It’s simply not possible. One of them will either need to stay at home or our sitting midfielder has to drop in and split the centrebacks.
I expect us to be playing 3 at the back with Tav & Barisic as wing backs. Gerrard spoke about having that option now that Helanders here.

Hope he does go on to prove us wrong. Wether he will remains to be seen

It’s a testament to his newfound determination to succeed with us, that generally fans are looking a lot more positively on him than they were just a few months ago.

Really would love to see him to be a big contributor for us this season.

Look and learn Grezda.

I expect us to be playing 3 at the back with Tav & Barisic as wing backs. Gerrard spoke about having that option now that Helanders here.

Been done to death, but why would we need 3 centre-backs when in the vast majority of our matches we are facing a lone striker - at best. There might be a time and a place for it but it won't be our 'regular' formation. No chance.

Been done to death, but why would we need 3 centre-backs when in the vast majority of our matches we are facing a lone striker - at best. There might be a time and a place for it but it won't be our 'regular' formation. No chance.

I think we need it as an option, mostly because it helps us balance playing a partnership up top.

We might be playing guff for 40% of the year but no way can we play a 4-4-2 equivalent with Tav and Barisic going forward all the time, I actually reckon it’s key that we get the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 sorted to a level where we’re competent at it.

We all know how good he can be. All we ask is he replicates it for Rangers. Big season for him.
Borna Barisic on the 'truth' behind Rangers omission and his relationship with Steven Gerrard
Croatia international fell out of the first team reckoning last season but has returned with a bang this summer.

Borna Barisic has opened up on his relationship with Steven Gerrard as he looks to nail down the left-back slot at Rangers .
The Croatia international had an inconsistent spell last season after his £2million move from NK Osijek.
As he struggled with form and fitness, Barisic only played once in the club's last eight fixtures - that being the last game of the season at Kilmarnock.
But Barisic is back in the starting line-up and has revealed how he sacrificed his summer holiday for extra training in a bid to hit the new season running with the Ibrox side.
The full back scored last week against St Joseph's in Gibraltar with a free kick as Rangers romped to a 4-0 Europa League win.
Barisic, in an interview in a Croatian publication, can't wait to work with Gerrard again this season after brushing off doubts about his future at Rangers.

He said: "The truth is I couldn't get back into the team last season after an injury because they kept winning games. That's the way it is with Rangers - they are a great club with great players.
"I really have a brilliant relationship with Steven Gerrard. We talk about tactics and current issues. There are no problems. I feel great here and I am completely devoted to Rangers. Life in Glasgow is really good."

The left-back also revealed his determination to have a successful season this term after making a goalscoring start against St Joseph's.
Barisic said: "I had a week off during the summer, but decided to use that vacation to do additional training instead.
"I did it to try and make sure I was ready for the new season ahead. So it was nice to hit that free kick against St Joseph's. Some people gave the goal to me and others to Connor Goldson, but it doesn't matter anyway.
"I know all about the philosophy of the club. It's all about winning and I want to be a part of it."
I don't doubt he wants to do well and to be a main part of the team but he's got to stay positive and believe in his own ability when going forward. Last season I felt he would get himself into good positions near the opposition box and then freeze or get rid of the ball like a hot potato. Wish him well for this season.

I was getting really sick and tired of him personally but calmed down in recent weeks. I feel he does have to hit the ground running when the season starts though. Promising signs so far in pre season from him.

I've just never really bought into the "needs time to settle" thing with footballers.

I think we need it as an option, mostly because it helps us balance playing a partnership up top.

We might be playing guff for 40% of the year but no way can we play a 4-4-2 equivalent with Tav and Barisic going forward all the time, I actually reckon it’s key that we get the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 sorted to a level where we’re competent at it.
I'm just saying what Gerrard was saying. It's obviously going to be horses for courses, so to speak.

Oh I don’t doubt we will experiment with it, just that it will be a formation used ‘sparingly’. By that I’d suggest we will only deploy it in less than 10 competitive games, and that might well depend on European progression.

I’d bump the ‘40% guff’ figure up a good bit as well.:)

We quite literally cannot expect to have two bombing fullbacks and STILL not expect to not concede goals from out wide.

It’s simply not possible. One of them will either need to stay at home or our sitting midfielder has to drop in and split the centrebacks.

I accept that but I’m not talking about getting caught in transition the odd time....I’m talking about in and around the box. He does not close down crossers quick enough and he gets caught ball watching.....same things Tav was guilty of a year or so ago. Tav has largely eliminated this from his game.

Also Borna is prone to stupid fouls in dangerous areas. I rate the guy but these are things I’ve noticed even in the last couple of games...

Do you disagree that Barisic has the ability to be as good?

Truly believe this will be his season to shine. If we get the same player we watched in the Osijek games, he will tear this league apart! Seen it already in glimpses this pre-season.

Kent restricted his forward play last season as he would always cut in and across tte field leaving Barasic on his blindside, we also now have a left sided CB which will make a difference as well.

He knows he has to improve, I'm in the Barasic camp, dont think he was anywhere near as bad as people made out, but he can and hopefully will have a stormer this year.

If he can sort his head out and put in the type of performances that got him a move to Rangers and to international caps then he will be the clear owner of the left back slot in the team for most matches.

He’s got to show more than he did last year in terms of being able to play under the pressure that comes with the Rangers first team though.

I think we all agree the guy has class and looked a fantastic player against us last season but has struggled since signing.
I think there are a few reasons for his slow start, we know he’s had injuries which doesn’t help but Scottish football takes some getting used to, it’s brutal at times, the referees let opposition players away with murder. I think that’s effected his confidence and mentally it’s hindered his game.
Add to that every game is a cup final to the opposition and they all raise there game when they play us, it takes some getting used to.
Not every player has it mentally to wear the shirt, Ibrox is an unforgiving place when your struggling.
I really hope the lad kicks on because he is a player of that I’ve no doubt.

His attitude sounds spot on

Ive seen many great Rangers players have a duff first six months or even first season as they adjust to life at the club, only to go on to have very successful careers at Ibrox. We can only hope Borna is one of them

On paper, zero reasons why this guy shouldn’t be a massive success.

On the pitch, I’m less than convinced

I agree, but if he maintains this type of attitude and desire to be a Rangers player, it will become visible on the pitch. That type of attitude can win you more allowance for certain small weaknesses.

We have had many players in the past who were far from excellent, but their desire and attitude won them the hearts of our fans. This should be the aim of EVERY player who is blessed with the opportunity to wear our badge.

Barasic will be a star this season.
Meanwhile.... Grezda: what is happening with this guy? He hasn't even featured in any of the reserves or youth, close-doors matches. Is he injured, or is he for the exit?

A prima-donna who is nowhere near as good as he thinks, and is more interested in his instagram followers than football fans.

He can leave.

The support can be negative in general terms when things don't go right and players sometimes never become favourites for whatever reasons.

However this guy whatever the background, whatever the PR he's tried there simply looks ill equipped to deal with life at Rangers-that's my viewpoint. I'm certain he'll get the chance to prove me and other doubters wrong.

For me he simply doesn't look confident enough or wants the ball enough and albeit clearly he can be technical he is actually quite wasteful on the ball-he is poor support imho for whoever is in front of him. That includes the St J game....

It's also way overstated how good we've seen him to be-where was this? He was good/decent against us....yes he's getting caps at international level but there's .a reason we got him at 1.5M.

Be absolutely delighted if he delivers but the step up he requires is substantial.

Hopefully Borna will kick on, although it was only a friendly i saw more aggression and willingness to get forward v Marseille and i hope he continues in that vein.

Spot on. Aggression in all aspects of his play was clear to see.

He was snapping in to challenges and coming out on top in most (if not all) of the 50/50s he went for.

I think he realised he was close to blowing it

It wouldn’t surprise me if he spoke to Prso or Papac, at least has his head screwed on unlike Grezda

Got a feeling he is better suited to a back 5 with the extra insurance behind him, his positional play is erratic at best

His best game was the 3-3 at Motherwell

If he does deliver this season, as he seems to believe he will, everybody wins from it.

I really hope Borna has an absolute belter of a season

The support can be negative in general terms when things don't go right and players sometimes never become favourites for whatever reasons.

However this guy whatever the background, whatever the PR he's tried there simply looks ill equipped to deal with life at Rangers-that's my viewpoint. I'm certain he'll get the chance to prove me and other doubters wrong.

For me he simply doesn't look confident enough or wants the ball enough and albeit clearly he can be technical he is actually quite wasteful on the ball-he is poor support imho for whoever is in front of him. That includes the St J game....

It's also way overstated how good we've seen him to be-where was this? He was good/decent against us....yes he's getting caps at international level but there's .a reason we got him at 1.5M.

Be absolutely delighted if he delivers but the step up he requires is substantial.

I agree a lot with your post DG.

His attitude has bern first class the preseason and fair play to him for fighting his way back into favour as i thought he was finished after the infamous liverpool friendly last season.

Ive been to all the home friendlys and watched st joes away and still have this nagging doubt about him.

Im usually the guy backing our players and telling other people to give them a chance but after watching borna closely im really not convinced.

Im expecting to be slaughtered on here but i think he is rash in the challenge, positionally poor, mentally fragile, not strong or physical enough in the challenge and does not bring enough of an attacking thread going forward.

I hope im wrong and would love bears to be flagging this back up to me at the end of the season when bornas came onto a game for a league winning rangers team but i genuinely think by xmas it will be a similar situation to last year.

I await the backlash:p

There was a game last season. .cannae remember which one, but I thought this guy looks a player but it didn't really happen for him. Hope he cracks on this season.

Good to hear Borna being so positive and motivated to do well. He’s a real talent and if we get to see that talent on a regular basis he’ll make a massive impact for us and become a very valuable asset in transfer fee terms too. Win win.

I really hope he makes the critics eat their words.

He has a lot to prove as last season simply wasn't good enough from Barišić.

Previous big move earlier on in his career didn't work out, he has also struggled with injuries so you can see why people are concerned. Not sure if I rate the defensive side of his game tbh.

Has to stay injury free, find form and remain consistent or he will be out the team and we will be looking for a new left back in the January transfer window.

The guy should never have been judged so badly last season considering he just moved to a new country and a new club. It takes some players from other countries a good while to settle in and with his injuries aswell last season I wasn't surprised to see he was struggling. This is the season he should be judged properly now he's had a full year to settle and is fully fit. Hes starting to look the player we thiught we were gonna get last season so far in the few games we've played this season. I really think he's gonna be a big success this season and prove a lot of people wrong

Back