Barjonas to sign new deal.

smittbox7

Jamie Barjonas is reportedly close to signing a new deal at Rangers.
The rated midfielder is out of contract in the summer but is said to be on the verge of agreeing new terms for another year.

Barjonas was sent on loan to Bury in the first half of the last campaign before then being farmed out to Raith. In total he made 27 appearances last season.
The 20-year-old is currently back at his parent club despite being linked with short-term moves to clubs such as Mansfield.

He has played nine times for Rangers but such is the regard he is held by Steven Gerrard, a new contract is on its way report the Athletic.

Youth chief Craig Mulholland has regularly cited him as a player who proves the club’s academy is producing talented players.

Although Barjonas was born in England, he has featured for Scotland through the age groups of under 15 to under 19.
Meanwhile, one player who will almost certainly not play for Rangers again is Jordan Rossiter. He is out of contract next summer and is currently on loan at Fleetwood.

No brainer to give him another year and see how he develops. Good crop of youngsters at the club and if a couple of them can make the step up its job done.

He is very good technically but doesnt seem to have kicked on, always see himn in the training videos etc so he must have something about him and still only 20

Lets get him on loan to a Hearts or something in January and see what he can do.

Strange one for me, think his chance has probably passed him by if we are being honest. 21 in January.
Look at Hardie, could have let him go a couple of times but keep reupping him and he had a good couple of loans to Livi and Blackpool decided to pay a fee for him. Im sure this will be the same, someone at the club thinks he has talent even if it's not quite at the level for us and hope someone might pay for him in the future

I was really impressed with Barjonas during that cameo in the first team under Murty. He was superb away at Hibs when it was him and McCrorie in midfield and we won 2-0.

Been surprising to see him not really push on from there and struggle out on loan. But Gerrard's clearly seen in him worthy of another chance so it's up to him to take it.

I know it means virtually nothing but Barjonas seems to have physically matured a lot in the last few years.

He has been a mainstay in the successful colts and I see no reason why we shouldn't extend his contract for 12 to 24 months.

Could this not just so we get a development fee if a team want him, like Hardie?
A one year deal must cost at least £50k a year for salary alone with plenty more extras on top.
We got Kamara for the same last January.
Can’t see the development fee covering a years spend on the player.

He is very good technically but doesnt seem to have kicked on, always see himn in the training videos etc so he must have something about him and still only 20

Lets get him on loan to a Hearts or something in January and see what he can do.
I'd like to see this as well, but he would have been available in the summer on loan yet it looks like nobody came in for him? His previous poor loan spells probably go against him as well.

A one year deal must cost at least £50k a year for salary alone with plenty more extras on top.
We got Kamara for the same last January.
Can’t see the development fee covering a years spend on the player.

I think it's more that if we offer a deal and he leaves this summer, we get a fee.

I was really impressed with Barjonas during that cameo in the first team under Murty. He was superb away at Hibs when it was him and McCrorie in midfield and we won 2-0.

Been surprising to see him not really push on from there and struggle out on loan. But Gerrard's clearly seen in him worthy of another chance so it's up to him to take it.
Our memory of that game (the 2-1 game i assume you meant) must be different, as Barjonas was rotten that night. We got battered yet came away with the win, it was a strange performance all round from the side.

I thought he looked really good when he came through at the end of the season before, played really well away to St Johnstone in the last game of the season but just didn't seem to really kick on from there. A good loan spell would do him the world of good, at his age he needs to be playing football.

Some players continue to develop late on in their career and maybe that is what they have noticed in Barjonas, that he is continually improving.

Ryan Christie is a good example of a player improving after he has turned 21.

Barjonas is an interesting one. In and around the 1st team training. Was pretty involved in one training video a week or so ago. Would be good if a journalist were to ask Gerrard where he sees him going forward.

He has been around the first team for a while now and is in the official team photo. Maybe Gerrard sees something in him?

He has also filled out physically and looks strong as an ox.

What would be the point in giving him an extra year and sending him out on loan again? If he's not going to make it he'd be as well getting another permanent club.

Seen him a couple of times for the youths at Auchenhowie and he has always been a standout. Was really surprised he never shone too much at Raith. Obviously in and around the first team, think he was the only youngster in the team photo with Gazza the other day.

He’s still young enough to improve.

I’ve heard his attitude is spot on and he’s clearly impressed Gerrard with that side of his game.

Good luck to the lad, another year on a low wage gives him a chance to kick on.

Some players continue to develop late on in their career and maybe that is what they have noticed in Barjonas, that he is continually improving.

Ryan Christie is a good example of a player improving after he has turned 21.

at the time Christie was a first pick at ICT and could've went to Swansea , Christie is probably improving because he maintained 1st team football at a high level , its why Docherty Barjonas would do well in getting competitive at as high a level that gets them on the pitch ...........

Docherty could benefit from going back to hamilton till next summer in January window

Must be honest. I’ve never seen anything special about Jamie. Give me Stephen Kelly any time.

Kelly looks a far better prospect, but to be fair to Barjonas, he was the best midfielder on the park by a mile when we played down at Mansfield earlier this season, totally outshining Dorrans, amongst others Grigo.

There was certainly talk down there that day that Mansfield were very keen on him.

Him, McPake and Mayo were all getting mentioned pre match.

Barjonas and Mayo both impressed, but young Josh didn't have his best day.

Kelly looks a far better prospect, but to be fair to Barjonas, he was the best midfielder on the park by a mile when we played down at Mansfield earlier this season, totally outshining Dorrans, amongst others Grigo.

There was certainly talk down there that day that Mansfield were very keen on him.

Was there a reason that you know of why Barjonas didn't get a loan move in the summer? Was this a club decision or were there no offers?

Was there a reason that you know of why Barjonas didn't get a loan move in the summer? Was this a club decision or were there no offers?

Don't know tbh mate.

The directors of Mansfield that I spoke to seemed very keen on him, but it would be their manager's decision I guess.

Certainly impressed that day though.

Could it also have something to do with Europe next season?

Believe we don’t have as many places in squad is due to lack of club trained players over 21 (McGregor being the only one)

Thanks mate. Didn’t know that.

Delighted about Mayo because he looked very encouraging in the albeit limited pre season time on the pitch.

Could this not just so we get a development fee if a team want him, like Hardie?

I thought we get a development fee if he was to sign a pre-contract with someone else anyway since he is under 24. Aribo for instance was out of contract and we paid a development fee.

Our whole youth development system has been fairly poor for a while now if we're being honest. No players coming through to the first team and managing to hold on to a jersey.

I'd be surprised if Barjonas makes it given the options we have in midfield and now that he's almost 21. Must be doing something right though to have earned a new contract.

I thought we get a development fee if he was to sign a pre-contract with someone else anyway since he is under 24. Aribo for instance was out of contract and we paid a development fee.
Only if you offer a contract to the player. If we didn't offer him a contract we wouldn't be due a development fee.

Thanks mate. Didn’t know that.

Delighted about Mayo because he looked very encouraging in the albeit limited pre season time on the pitch.

Mansfield were a big strong physical side and some of our younger players struggled with the physicality of them.

Mayo though stood up well against Nicky Maynard, who certainly put himself about.

Our whole youth development system has been fairly poor for a while now if we're being honest. No players coming through to the first team and managing to hold on to a jersey.

There’s always going to be a time gap between when you get it right & seeing the resultant benefit mate.

If we see nothing in the next few years I’d agree with you, but I think it’s too early to say that now.

It's a pity about Billy Gilmour tbh because he's the one who could've made us a fortune down the line.

There’s always going to be a time gap between when you get it right & seeing the resultant benefit mate.

If we see nothing in the next few years I’d agree with you, but I think it’s too early to say that now.

Who was our last decent youth product? Not talking about McCrorie etc, I mean a player who made a jersey his own and then was sold for decent money?

Serious question. Was it really as far back as Charlie Adam?

Who was our last decent youth product? Not talking about McCrorie etc, I mean a player who made a jersey his own and then was sold for decent money?

Serious question. Was it really as far back as Charlie Adam?

We had Adam, Hutton, Smith pretty much come through together. All are 33/34 but there’s obviously been a gulf since then.

What I’m arguing is that over the last 5 years or so we have basically ripped it up & started again & I feel much more optimistic that we will get results from this in the near future.

Back