Barjonas to sign new deal.

We had Adam, Hutton, Smith pretty much come through together. All are 33/34 but there’s obviously been a gulf since then.

What I’m arguing is that over the last 5 years or so we have basically ripped it up & started again & I feel much more optimistic that we will get results from this in the near future.

Ross McCormack was in the same team as Adam too.

I'm a bit surprised by this but maybe the fact he's a home grown player and can qualify as an "extra" for European games helps a bit.

A one year deal must cost at least £50k a year for salary alone with plenty more extras on top.
We got Kamara for the same last January.
Can’t see the development fee covering a years spend on the player.

Depends a lot on how long he's been with us. For example, whilst I have no idea how much Hastie cost us in the end the rumours suggested the Dev Fee would be in the £250-£300k bracket. Barjonas probably has as much first team action as Hastie had and, I think, has more representative honours for Scotland as well.

Depends a lot on how long he's been with us. For example, whilst I have no idea how much Hastie cost us in the end the rumours suggested the Dev Fee would be in the £250-£300k bracket. Barjonas probably has as much first team action as Hastie had and, I think, has more representative honours for Scotland as well.
Good points.
I’m swayed by how much we got Kamara for but I’m not sure if one can influence the other.
Would you pay a six figure sum for Barjonas?

Thought he looked good when he first got into the first team but does not appear to have kicked on . However the manager is a good judge of a player and happy to go with his judgement.

Who was our last decent youth product? Not talking about McCrorie etc, I mean a player who made a jersey his own and then was sold for decent money?

Serious question. Was it really as far back as Charlie Adam?
Lewis Macleod and Barrie McKay.

You can argue whether we got sufficient value for Macleod (at the time, we didn't, with hindsight, we probably did).

We should have made decent money from McKay were it not for Caixinha.

Good points.
I’m swayed by how much we got Kamara for but I’m not sure if one can influence the other.
Would you pay a six figure sum for Barjonas?

No mate, I wouldn't. That is why we have offered the contract though I suspect, same as happened with Ryan Hardie as someone pointed out above.

We have 2 choices with someone who's come through the Academy:

1. We can let their contract run out and they walk away for free.
2. We can offer them a new contract (which has to be on the same or better terms).

If we choose option 2, the player can reject the offer and move on - but the Dev Fee would then be payable. Settled by Tribunal if not agreed between the clubs. If the player accepts the offer, then any subsequent move would be subject to a transfer fee in the normal way.

What I think happens is that we don't want the player to walk away for free. We probably also know that no club is going to pay the Dev Fee for them (which could be well into 6 figures). Accordingly we offer them the contract, they accept it and we then move them on for a transfer fee that will be considerably less than the Dev Fee that no club will pay. For example, the 'set' Dev Fee for A. Player might be £300k (using Hastie as an example). No chance we are going to get that. So, we sign him up and then sell him for a transfer fee of maybe £75k. It may not be huge but its better than having to let the player walk away for free because nobody will pay the Dev Fee. Of course, you are 'down' an extra years salary for the player - but we don't know how much that might be.

Strange one for me, think his chance has probably passed him by if we are being honest. 21 in January.
I also think there is better younger players catching up with him fast,if results in the youth teams are anything to go by.

Lewis Macleod and Barrie McKay.

You can argue whether we got sufficient value for Macleod (at the time, we didn't, with hindsight, we probably did).

We should have made decent money from McKay were it not for Caixinha.

McKay was a product of Kilmarnock

Hopefully he makes it at Rangers, met him a number times knocking about the Nauld and played football with him on a couple of occasions. Levels above everyone else obviously.

Ross McCormack was in the same team as Adam too.

I'm a bit surprised by this but maybe the fact he's a home grown player and can qualify as an "extra" for European games helps a bit.

Good shout TK. Forgot about him.

Of course John Fleck came after them too. He Didn’t make it with us but competing very well in the Premiership now.

Haven’t seen enough of him to say whether he’d make it with us but a 2yr contract and then putting him out on loan/selling him a year later is better than him leaving for pennies.

How many 20 year olds have cemented a first team place by that age at Rangers?
True. But if he was going to make it I'd expect him to at least be making the odd appearance on the bench by now. I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong.

True. But if he was going to make it I'd expect him to at least be making the odd appearance on the bench by now. I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong.
Not right now, we can't afford to bed in and play youth players unless they are absolutely better than players we have or we could buy which will be quite rare and doesn't necessarily mean players like McCrorie/Barjonas/Kelly will never make it. We are trying to win our first trophy for 8 years and stop these cunts winning 9 in a row, if that means holding off bringing youth through a season or two then I'm for it.

This will be just like what happened with Ryan hardie. He will want to play for someone who can’t afford the development fee and so we extend the contract and send him on loan to put him in shop window.

Good shout TK. Forgot about him.

Of course John Fleck came after them too. He Didn’t make it with us but competing very well in the Premiership now.

Yes I remember going to see the team with Fleck in it but was always more impressed by Jamie Ness. Shows you what I know lol.

Adam and McCormack had an almost telepathic connection on the pitch together.

Yes I remember going to see the team with Fleck in it but was always more impressed by Jamie Ness. Shows you what I know lol.

Adam and McCormack had an almost telepathic connection on the pitch together.

I had forgotten Jamie Ness. Him & Young Rhys McCabe too in fact.

Looked like world beaters for a while ;)

Always rated him, minority on here with that view.
Wonder what happens to those with opposite views when the Greatest English midfielder in a Generation rates him also...

Who was our last decent youth product? Not talking about McCrorie etc, I mean a player who made a jersey his own and then was sold for decent money?

Serious question. Was it really as far back as Charlie Adam?
I suppose the recent 2 would be Barrie McKay and Lewis MacLeod.

Not that we got massive sums for either but if it wasn’t for Pedro we would’ve got a lot more for Barrie McKay. Gilmour would’ve gone for big money if he’d stuck around.

I suppose the recent 2 would be Barrie McKay and Lewis MacLeod.

Not that we got massive sums for either but if it wasn’t for Pedro we would’ve got a lot more for Barrie McKay. Gilmour would’ve gone for big money if he’d stuck around.

I know what you mean, but I don't think either of them could really be classed as success stories, either from a footballing or financial point of view.

We should be regularly churning out players who become first team picks for a number of seasons and are eventually sold on for millions. We haven't managed that since Alan Hutton. Is it just down to the quality of player we are getting or is there something inherently wrong with our whole youth development system?

Last edited:
I know what you mean, buy I don't think either of them could really be classed as sucess stories, either from a footballing or financial point of view.

We should be regularly churning out players who become first team picks for a number of seasons and are eventually sold on for millions. We haven't managed that since Alan Hutton. Is it just down to the quality of player we are getting or is there something inherently wrong with our whole youth development system?

In terms of where we were at the time both MacLeod and McKay were relative success stories.

I agree with what you are saying though and I’d like to think that the likes of Stephen Kelly and Robbie McRorie will be the next success stories as they are impressing out on loan.

In terms of where we were at the time both MacLeod and McKay were relative success stories.

I agree with what you are saying though and I’d like to think that the likes of Stephen Kelly and Robbie McRorie will be the next success stories as they are impressing out on loan.

We've yet to see how good (or bad) Gerrard is at bringing through youngsters to the first team. Some managers are obviously better than others.

Hope its only a one year deal and he goes out on loan and actually does something decent this time.
He must have done something decent beforehand or our manager wouldn’t be offering him an extension, one thing SG does is if he doesn’t fancy a player he is out in the cold not offered a new deal

Why are celtic players always used as the bar when talking up our young players?

Every time we mention Barjonas, Kelly, Docherty etc. Mcgregor, Christie, Armstrong etc. keep getting mentioned.

With experienced players and mentors at the club like Gerrard himself, Steve Davis, Scott Arfield I'd be hoping the three mentioned could go on to become better players than their lot.

Armstrong was better than their current two and barely plays for a team who will be lucky to finish 17th in the EPL.

Back