Basile Boli

The signing of Boli was a helluva coup that quickly descended into farce. Point in case, the club had no idea whatsoever he was banned from the first leg v Athens because we didn't bother to check until UEFA told us he was.

The writing was on the wall for his long term future at the club when he gave the interview to L'Equipe not long after signing and torched Walter and the squad's approach to the 2nd leg v Athens, saying it was an absolute joke in terms of preparation. We got the usual "lost in translation" excuse and the Scottish media defending Walter against the big bad foreign troublemaker but everything he said was spot on and came to a head two years later in Zurich against Grasshoppers when Christian Gross basically said the same thing.

As for his performances, supposedly he had a degenerative knee injury that basically got worse and worse as the season went on and the heavy pitches took their toll.

Bought for £2.7m, sold for £1.5m a year later. Boli should've been at the absolute peak of his powers when he signed for us(27 years of age)

It wasn't supposed to turn out the way it did.
Who was the adminsitrator then I'm guessing Bain, not something Campbell Ogilvie eould have overlooked?

My memories of Boli were when he arrived if Bernard Tapie was fucking us over again ,was his last euro game for us not scoring an OG?

Who was the adminsitrator then I'm guessing Bain, not something Campbell Ogilvie eould have overlooked?

My memories of Boli were when he arrived if Bernard Tapie was fucking us over again ,was his last euro game for us not scoring an OG?

Only played one European game for us, the 0-1 defeat at home to Athens.

Last game in European competition was for Monaco where he suffered a fractured skull in a clash with his own keeper as Tony Yeboah scored for Leeds.

Wattenaccio played him at right back in the home leg against AEK. Straight from the Jim Maclean playbook.

Alan Maclaren marshalled him superbly at Hampden v the Charlies when the Stade de Gadd was undergoing its makeover.

Other than that, the only other thing I can remember about him was him bowing to McCoist in the dressing room when Super walks in with his MBE pinned to his jacket.

Back