Bassey or Balogun for next few games

Ger77

Official Ticketer
Do we keep with Bassey now as he’s part of the future or do we bring Balogun back in now leading up to the Tim’s game?

Bassey for me and I wouldn’t have said that before his run in the team.
I can’t shake the feeling that our run of constantly going one goal down in games coincided with Balogun’s run in the team despite him not playing badly.

Thank god for the options now. I don't really care who is picked there. Both are capable of strong performances when we need it.

I’d rather bassey kept the jersey until proven otherwise. Balogun hates them as much as any of our players though so if it was for a view to that particular game Then I’d have no worries with him playing, however it would be very harsh on bassey

Balogun

Whilst Bassey has done better than expected, still feel he is an accident waiting to happen with strikers targeting just running off the back of him.

Of course, Balogun isnt nailed on solid but he is capable of a good performance

Good decision to have. I would give Balogun another run against Ross County with Bassey at LB . After that make an assessment on how he did.
This for me.

Borna might benefit from being rested.
We get to see Bassey in the more defensive left back role we play now, which I think be will be very well suited to.
Balogan is covering right back and centre back so important we get some minutes into him after his injury.

How is Borna is the question Gio needs answered before making the decision?

If he's fit it's Basseys jersey for now. If not Bassey is needed at LB.

Bassey continues for me. He stepped up & hasn’t done anything wrong but as mentioned previously it’s good to have Balogun back fit he’s done well for us over his couple seasons.

Balogun still the most undervalued and under-appeciated player in the squad.

Can see the comments about not changing a defence that has been performing well. But some of the other comments you see about Balogun personally are daft.

Balogun for me. Bassey has done amazingly well and I love how he carries the ball into midfield. But he has a big mistake in him I feel and his passing from the back is poor.

Defence is definitely not our problem. 4 goals conceded in Gio’s reign to date or something daft like that. Bassey and Goldson have superb so I wouldn’t be changing that.

Balogun needs to play for me, appreciate Bassey has done well in there but for defending set pieces and attacking we need another guy in there who can actually win a header, for the size of Bassey he’s not exactly good in the air.

Right now Bassey is the better option but we need to get Balogun back up to speed, so I'd start him against Livi on Wednesday. I think, ultimately, he is the better option in central defence until Helander returns. I didn't like the switch of CBs last night with Balogun right and Goldson left. They work better as a pair the other way around.

Balogun for me. Bassey has done well but Balogun has more experience and a calmer head. Bassey should be a LB with his pace and strength, he clearly wants to go forward as much as possible. He’s been great cover though and has a big career

Both. I reckon Big Bassey will move to left back, back 4 will be Tav, goldson, Balogun, Bassey. Barasic will be benched for the next two games because Bassey gives us more power going forward. Then Barasic will slot back in for the piggery if he’s still here after the window. Watch this space

Bassey for me he's done nothing wrong really since stepping up and playing centre half and it's his jersey to lose. I think Borna has been much better under Gio so doesn't deserve to lose his place for Bassey.

I like Balogun but not sure how fit he actually is given he only played 60 minutes last night. That might have been the plan all along anyway to get King some game time.

This for me.

Borna might benefit from being rested.
We get to see Bassey in the more defensive left back role we play now, which I think be will be very well suited to.
Balogan is covering right back and centre back so important we get some minutes into him after his injury.
He’s just had 3 weeks off and was rested last night!

Balogun needs to play for me, appreciate Bassey has done well in there but for defending set pieces and attacking we need another guy in there who can actually win a header, for the size of Bassey he’s not exactly good in the air.
This.
Bassey has done great and has an amazing future but he can be naive at times and offers nothing in the air(yet).
Celtic in particular are vertically challenged and awful at set pieces.
I would play the hardened Pro with an ariel threat, but I have confidence in Brassey as well.

Depending on our squad come Feb 2nd...

If Hagi is out, we haven't gotten a forward in, Roofe is away...

We could go Wright or Lowry at RW, OR...

Throw a curve all with Tav at RW and Balogun at RB? Keeping Bassey in the middle?

I know it's not ideal, but I am hypothesizing based on potential short squad.

He’s just had 3 weeks off and was rested last night!
Aye well he needs a 4th week off !!!!

No, good point. I just really want to see Bassey at LB. I think his stint at CB will really have helped him be a better full back.

His speed going forward and defensively could be a real asset there I think.

I thought we looked a little shaky on Tuesday and Bassey didn't have a great time bringing the ball out either. That may have been due to the lack of options being offered by the midfield.

If Souttar is being brought in shortly then I'd imagine he'll start.

Back