Bayern Munich and city in for Kai Kennedy in January window.Todays Papers say.

No to be honest, the fact you keep making ridiculous arguments and excuses for not giving youth a chance says it all really

The point is they still gave Ralston a chance. Same with the likes of Watt, Henderson...
That Frimpong started in Aberdeen ahead of the Israeli
Saying they won’t play if a certain player is fit for a certain game makes you look even more ridiculous to be honest. We aren’t even putting young players on the bench against east Fife and the likes. Trying to compare that to players playing in cup finals, Europa league, champions league when first team players are injured is an argument for giving youth players a chance

Trying to compare the two scenarios if honestly laughable. We’re shite at giving youth players opportunities. No excuses.
Here here sir.
Will be our downfall in the end if we don't rectify it.

Ross McCrorie and Glen Middleton played loads last year.

Other recent examples include Myles Beerman and David Bates, granted he was bought from Raith.

And our trip through the lower leagues was littered with young players.

So we do it if they are good enough.
Middleton bought also Beerman too ok fees of a sort and little older too tbh

Some further thoughts on the topic - In even the best football youth academies, it is only a minority of the players who will go on to enjoy a successful professional career. If we accept this to be the case, and Rangers consistently find it difficult to retain their 'elite' academy products such as Gilmour, Kennedy, and King for eg., or even get a. worthwhile transfer fee, or other compensation for them, it begs the question - why should we even invest in an academy?

In such a scenario where we aren't benefitting either financially, or in terms of the quality these youngsters bring to the first tam's team 's quest for success, wouldn't the money Rangers spend on maintaining and staffing an academy, be better directly invested in the first XI?

Some further thoughts on the topic - In even the best football youth academies, it is only a minority of the players who will go on to enjoy a successful professional career. If we accept this to be the case, and Rangers consistently find it difficult to retain their 'elite' academy products such as Gilmour, Kennedy, and King for eg., or even get a. worthwhile transfer fee, or other compensation for them, it begs the question - why should we even invest in an academy?

In such a scenario where we aren't benefitting either financially, or in terms of the quality these youngsters bring to the first tam's team 's quest for success, wouldn't the money Rangers spend on maintaining and staffing an academy, be better directly invested in the first XI?
As much as we don't like it it's the ultimate question.

So much you think we will get ,my opinion would be around £500k
Wouldn't have a clue, but 500k wasn't much more than the developmental fee, so why would we sell at that level?

I'm not one to throw around crazy transfer fees, but I'd assume teams the size of Bayern and Man City would need to do better than a couple of weeks wages for some of their players.

Wouldn't have a clue, but 500k wasn't much more than the developmental fee, so why would we sell at that level?

I'm not one to throw around crazy transfer fees, but I'd assume teams the size of Bayern and Man City would need to do better than a couple of weeks wages for some of their players.
I don't disagree but I think it's reality of what we would get.

No to be honest, the fact you keep making ridiculous arguments and excuses for not giving youth a chance says it all really

The point is they still gave Ralston a chance. Same with the likes of Watt, Henderson...
That Frimpong started in Aberdeen ahead of the Israeli
Saying they won’t play if a certain player is fit for a certain game makes you look even more ridiculous to be honest. We aren’t even putting young players on the bench against east Fife and the likes. Trying to compare that to players playing in cup finals, Europa league, champions league when first team players are injured is an argument for giving youth players a chance

Trying to compare the two scenarios if honestly laughable. We’re shite at giving youth players opportunities. No excuses.

You're way, way wrong about how much I care about it.

But there's plenty of pretty solid reasons for why we're not seeing much by way of youth involvement in the first team this season so far. Any notion that Gerrard needs to be told to involve them as suggested earlier is just mental.

Surely they don’t count if Ralston being at St Johnstone doesn’t count as giving youth a chance?

You’re tripping over yourself here mate.

Fair enough. It was in response to the notion that Celtic have this wonderful youth development happening in their squad. They put Aitchison out on loan while being forced to play Morgan up front.

That's the sort of decision you'd be criticising if we done similar.

Things are nowhere near as bad this way at Rangers as is being suggested on here.

However there are also questions about our loan deals and how we best match players to suitable clubs. The thread on our loanees is depressing.
I’ve been in favour of loan deals and using this system for years.
Not sure it’s worked for our kids so far.

Aye loads of non performing players in our team this year.

Behind in Europe for a total of half an hour over 13 games and two domestic defeats.

Hunners of underperformance there. Littered with it. Definitely cause to change the team repeatedly.
Like last 3 big important games.

They need to be good enough to begin with.

Not many that have had a chance in the last decade have been.

Plenty of players that haven’t been good enough for Barca in the end but yet they’ve given them a chance
Deulofeu, Adama Traore, Bojan, Samper, Dongou, Bartra, Tello

Inter also brought on a 17 year old when they were on the verge of getting knocked out of the CL

Pressure...

Plenty of players that haven’t been good enough for Barca in the end but yet they’ve given them a chance
Deulofeu, Adama Traore, Bojan, Samper, Dongou, Bartra, Tello

Yeah and we've given loads plenty game time too.

McCrorie, Middleton, McKay, Murdoch, Crawford, Hutton, Aird, Perry, Hegarty, Hemmings, MacLeod, Mitchell, McCabe, Hardie, Little, Ness.

I'm not saying we are perfect. But we do give guys a chance and, in the last decade, not many are anywhere near our standard. Some of those guys aren't even pro footballers now.

Like last 3 big important games.

If you think our team's been underperforming this year then, frankly, it's pointless debating with you mate.

2 domestic defeats and one Euro defeat (with the last kick of the ball).

If the youngsters are good enough they will play. At the moment there isn't much to say they will do better than the guys already doing a great job.

If you think our team's been underperforming this year then, frankly, it's pointless debating with you mate.

2 domestic defeats and one Euro defeat (with the last kick of the ball).

If the youngsters are good enough they will play. At the moment there isn't much to say they will do better than the guys already doing a great job.
I didn’t say team was underperforming ,although we have failed to put games to bed when dominant. Are you trying to tell me Gerrard’s favourite attacking
players Arfield 1 goal in his last 19
starts, Aribo 0 goals in his last 15 starts and Ojo 0 goals in his last 13
starts are not underperforming.
Their assists are not much better.
Tonight a boy just turned 17 became
the youngest player ever to score in the Champions League.

Barcelona and Inter Milan having top class youngsters at 17 to play in games doesn't equate to Kai Kennedy being ready for us.

A number of our youth players are training with the first team regularly. Are people genuinely saying that Gerrard sees them, deems them ready to play, but holds them back anyway?

I don't believe there's any chance of that.

The thing in our league they’ll kick lumps out of him. Not like old days Harold Davis shearer Millar to look after the boys. Not got that type player in our team. When wee Henderson came in to the team if someone put boot in Millar would bo over like a shot to let them know.

We could have a good clear out and help them all see a pathway.

Polster - Patterson
Kai - Murphy
McPake - Barker
Dapo - 3rd Attacker

Sure there are more, but clearing that out would help with wages, but also a better balance for the squad.

Certainly looks like we have some promising youngsters but that's what they are promising.

As our first team improves it will be even harder for youth team players to make the step up.They have to be better than them to get that jersey.That's not easy but I'm sure that now and again some of them could be put on the bench.

Space has to be made, most likely by getting rid of squad players who never get a game without leaving us squad light.

Great point. If they can we can but I think the niar crap has maybe made the gaffer think again,he has said he wouldn't have a problem playing them,trouble is he hasn't had a chance to blood a few of them because all the games are so vital. I'm all for us doing what they do down south and use the league cup to play maybe two or three of them.

One of the reasons why celtic have a better track record of integrating players from their youth system into their first XI, is that because Rangers, to all intents and purposes, had been taken out of the picture as a result of the EBT stitch-up. The consequences of this was that celtic, now playing in a league in which they were under no real competitive pressure, could more easily integrate their youth players into the first XI.

Gerrard, by way of contrast, is playing in a catch-up situation in which he finds himself under enormous pressure to win things, and does not have the luxury of patience and time that is required to successfully 'blood' the young talent currently in the Rangers system into the first team squad.

Barcelona and Inter Milan having top class youngsters at 17 to play in games doesn't equate to Kai Kennedy being ready for us.

A number of our youth players are training with the first team regularly. Are people genuinely saying that Gerrard sees them, deems them ready to play, but holds them back anyway?

I don't believe there's any chance of that.
Yes partly because he signed the seniors he has to be seen to play them.justification

I didn’t say team was underperforming ,although we have failed to put games to bed when dominant. Are you trying to tell me Gerrard’s favourite attacking
players Arfield 1 goal in his last 19
starts, Aribo 0 goals in his last 15 starts and Ojo 0 goals in his last 13
starts are not underperforming.
Their assists are not much better.
Tonight a boy just turned 17 became
the youngest player ever to score in the Champions League.

Aribo scored at Livingston ;)

I have been to a few of the youth games this season. He is good but not sensational. Think John Fleck at exactly the same age and that's Kai.

Would love a John Fleck in our team.

Yes so would I . However the player he developed into bears no resemblance to the player we had. He seemed to be destined to be a mix of his uncle and Wayne Rooney according to the press. A few years later I seen him at Northampton and he was a deep lying midfielder spraying passes about.

17 year old scoring the winner for Barca at the San Siro...

Pressure, mentality, expectation, physicality etc.

I know there through but they look like there playing this wee fella when we couldn’t put one on the bench v East Fife

He's received more award nominations than first-team minutes since his only appearance for the senior squad but Karamoko Dembele was pulling out all the stops during the action packed session on Wednesday. Dembele looked lively he chased down every ball as he looked to turn heads. The 16-year-old left the Hoops faithful purring on the final day of last season against Hearts and supporters will be hoping Dembele will feature against Cluj. The rising star has been honing his skills within the club's academy while earning serious praise on the continent. L'Equipe shortlisted the precocious star alongside Barcelona's Ansu Fati and Dembele will have watched with interest as Fati became the youngest Champions League scorer in history. The Hoops star would love the chance to write his own history in the Europa League by becoming the tournament's third youngest scorer behind Romelu Lukaku and Iker Muniain.

Back