Bazza - I Can No Longer Defend The Indefensible

what a meltdown this is, maybe read the article and see why seasons Ferguson played for us might be relevant

Thank you for finally attempting to answer my question. That was it. No need to bring Tavernier into it. You got that wrong. I was genuinely just asking the relevance or the point you were making because Ferguson wasn't Captain, played half a season and you hadn't even mentioned him in your post.

I lived that season. I kmow how important Fergusons return was. I love Ferguson as a player ans enjoy his company also.

All you had to do was explain what point you were making without talking about Tav or name calling mate.

If youre getting at that Ferguson and Ricksen drove us to that title then I agree with you.

Thank you for finally attempting to answer my question. That was it. No need to bring Tavernier into it. You got that wrong. I was genuinely just asking the relevance or the point you were making because Ferguson wasn't Captain, played half a season and you hadn't even mentioned him in your post.

I lived that season. I kmow how important Fergusons return was. I love Ferguson as a player ans enjoy his company also.

All you had to do was explain what point you were making without talking another Tav or name calling mate.

If youre getting at that Ferguson and Ricksen drove us to that title then I agree with you.

Christ sake. :)):))

I’ve not read the article but people forget that the likes of Barry or derek are fans aswel as ex players and have opinions like all of us on here. Just look at the difference of opinions on here when it comes to certain stuff

That’s his opinion fair enough , can’t remember him actually writing (sic) a positive article of even defending the club on his pals sellik love in show

If only we had a player of Barry’s quality and dig in our team.
Exactly. Every successful Rangers team I have seen, some players maybe not as gifted as Barry, but they were always characters who gave it their all.

My first real appreciation of this was probably John Grieg and Tam Forsyth. Believe me I watched Rangers a few times at pre season training at the albion which they would finish off with a bounce game against the reserves. Big Forsyth would be barking mad at just losing a goal in these games, even gave me a fright.

The 9 in a row years speak for themselves, too many to mention. Sadly this is not just a Rangers problem, there are many players these days who think they are bigger than their clubs, something that wasn't tolerated back in the day. Too many have a sole aim of how much they can make these days and see themselves as celebrities. Used to meet many Rangers players, that would bleed for them, that attitude seems to be long gone. There is now a huge disconnect between players and fans.

They must be younger fans who never seen a proper Rangers Captain.

Ferguson would have Tav in a heap shitting his pants in that dressing room.
Fergie would have had the right half covering Tav going forward or face a boot in the ham hawz at half time. He made other players better. Ricksen went from bang average to the third best player in the team (direct quote from FDB)when he moved into midfield. Fernando and Tav down one side would have compared favorably with Steven and Stevens.

I admire your optimism, but back in the real world...

Who is going to score these goals?

I think it's safe to say this team won't be scoring five goals a game from here on in.
That's why the 'however unlikely' was added as i'm not optimistic, just trying to explain that technically it's still in our hands.

We don't need to score 5 every game, IF we win every game it would come down to out scoring them over these games.
Winning the 5 games will be an extremely tall order as it is with our recent performances.

Wasn’t Barry captain when we lost the league to O’Neill’s Celtic by about 20 points, two seasons running?

If only he’d done more Captaining we’d have won them, or something.
I was never a fan of ferguson ,that much has been true on here for about 20 years when I near on copped a lifetime ban for a thread about him.

It also can't be denied he'd have had folk bouncing off walls with that trash recently, not meekly accepting failure and feeling all sorry for himself. He talks nonsense most of the time but the true Barry and his rangers feelings came out after the 3 all draw at their pit about how he feels about us and them. He'd have chewed the leadership team up and spat them out

"The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak" I'm sorry but that simply is not the case. This group of players, especially those in defence have embarrassed us in recent years in games against them.

These are the players supposed to be the "leaders" of Rangers yet time and time again they fail us. It's nothing new. Fair play to Sterling for telling everyone what many of us have felt for years.

That doesn't make it in our hands.

We can't control what Celtic do. Even if we win 4-0 every game, they could win the other four 6-0.

We no longer control our own destiny.
In what world if we win our 5 games and out score them in every game do we not win the league?
I know it's very unlikely.

And finished 3rd behind Hearts.

He was also stripped of it, twice.

That said, we could do with a bit of a moany bastard in the current side.

On another note, many on here seem to think that an effective captain has to be a lady's front bottom of a guy terrorising his teammates in order to be successful. Not true. Look at guys like Phillip Lahm. Extremely well-respected but not a “pointer”

On another note, many on here seem to think that an effective captain has to be a lady's front bottom of a guy terrorising his teammates in order to be successful. Not true. Look at guys like Phillip Lahm. Extremely well-respected but not a “pointer”
I dont think a lot of these moany bastard type players anymore exist or are that good

Last 2 I remember in our league was when Naismith went to Hearts and Still Shinnie at Aberdeen.

Reactions: VGM

My Rangers prediction went horribly wrong and I just don’t know if I can defend them any more – Barry Ferguson

It’s getting difficult for me to defend Gers stars after they’ve thrown away their title advantage.

No one enjoys having to admit when they’ve got it wrong. So what I’m about to write won’t be easy.

But a couple of weeks ago I didn’t just make a mistake in this column - I ignored all my instincts and threw caution to the wind when I predicted Rangers would go into the post split fixtures five points clear at the top of the table and on their way to the title.

In my own defence, I did add that football does have a habit of biting you on the bum if you start taking anything for granted. So now here I am, with teeth marks all over my backside, trying to work out what the hell has just happened over the course of the last fortnight. And the truth of the matter is it’s getting very difficult for me to try to defend the indefensible where my old club’s recent results and performances are concerned.

Let’s just say I was almost lost for words on Wednesday when I watched them lose another two precious points in Dundee and it left me feeling so down that I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep. But, after a lot of tossing and turning, I woke up yesterday morning and gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these.

There’s no point drooping your shoulders and allowing your bottom lip to drag along the ground. Not when there’s a Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts around the corner and the chance to get the whole season back on track. And that’s the message I’d be hammering home to these players if I was inside the training ground over the next 48 hours.

But, like the fans who made the journey to Dens Park the other night and who vented their anger on the final whistle, I must admit that even my own patience is starting to wear a bit thin. I’d imagine Philippe Clement will be feeling much the same way. Because, having worked so hard for so long to drag themselves back into the thick of a title fight, Rangers are now in danger of allowing the season to slip through their fingers. And that’s simply not good enough.

It also raises a lot of unwanted questions about the mentality of some of these guys and about the strength of their character and desire. Every man and his dog have had something to say about it over the last 48 hours. Are they prepared to go that extra mile and fight and scratch for the badge on their chest? Or do they not really have the stomach for it?

I personally didn’t have any doubts about it but, yes, the way they have performed over the last couple of weeks has left me scratching my head and wondering if some of these guys truly understand how privileged they are to be pulling on that shirt. Or if they’re not really all that bothered.

The good news is we’ll soon find out because there will be absolutely no hiding place for any of them over the remaining weeks of the campaign. We’re all about to see in front of our own eyes how much - or how little - it means to them. The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak. As I learned myself, strange things can happen on Old Firm day. That they dug deep and clawed their way back to earn a 3-3 draw from the derby restored a sense of confidence.

But to follow that up with the kind of lacklustre performances they’ve produced at Ross County and Dundee? At such a monumentally important stage in the season? I honestly can’t get my head around it. The only positive thing I can say in their favour is that their destiny is still in their own hands. They still have the chance to show that they do deserve to be champions. But, instead of making it easy for themselves, they’re going to have to do it the most difficult way imaginable.

Not only will they have to beat Celtic at Parkhead on May 11 but they’re also going to have to score more goals than them and maybe hope for someone else to do them a turn or two along the way. And that’s a horrible position for them to find themselves in when they should have been in a commanding position going into the final stretch.

Having been in this situation myself on a couple of occasions I know the stress levels involved in trying to win a title which might come down to goal difference on the final day. We managed it in 2003 when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 on the last day of the season when Celtic could only score four away at Kilmarnock.
Is Baz hoping to sneak an invite to the next NARSA convention?
Where ever it maybe this year.

Nothing like 'banging the drum' eh Keech on his behalf?

In what world if we win our 5 games and out score them in every game do we not win the league?
I know it's very unlikely.

"If" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Inside 7 days we've went from knowing exactly what we needed to do to now trying to get three points and a whole load of goals more than Celtic.

"If" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Inside 7 days we've went from knowing exactly what we needed to do to now trying to get three points and a whole load of goals more than Celtic.
Not the point, you were wrong.
I did say it was unlikely but the point stands.

We can't control what Celtic do. Even if we win 4-0 every game, they could win the other four 6-0.

And they could win every game 1-0 or 2-1. They may even lose a game or draw.

All these hypothetical scenarios are pointless.

All that’s true is that, right now, as unlikely as it seems … it’s in our hands, albeit clinging on by our fingertips.

My Rangers prediction went horribly wrong and I just don’t know if I can defend them any more – Barry Ferguson

It’s getting difficult for me to defend Gers stars after they’ve thrown away their title advantage.

No one enjoys having to admit when they’ve got it wrong. So what I’m about to write won’t be easy.

But a couple of weeks ago I didn’t just make a mistake in this column - I ignored all my instincts and threw caution to the wind when I predicted Rangers would go into the post split fixtures five points clear at the top of the table and on their way to the title.

In my own defence, I did add that football does have a habit of biting you on the bum if you start taking anything for granted. So now here I am, with teeth marks all over my backside, trying to work out what the hell has just happened over the course of the last fortnight. And the truth of the matter is it’s getting very difficult for me to try to defend the indefensible where my old club’s recent results and performances are concerned.

Let’s just say I was almost lost for words on Wednesday when I watched them lose another two precious points in Dundee and it left me feeling so down that I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep. But, after a lot of tossing and turning, I woke up yesterday morning and gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these.

There’s no point drooping your shoulders and allowing your bottom lip to drag along the ground. Not when there’s a Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts around the corner and the chance to get the whole season back on track. And that’s the message I’d be hammering home to these players if I was inside the training ground over the next 48 hours.

But, like the fans who made the journey to Dens Park the other night and who vented their anger on the final whistle, I must admit that even my own patience is starting to wear a bit thin. I’d imagine Philippe Clement will be feeling much the same way. Because, having worked so hard for so long to drag themselves back into the thick of a title fight, Rangers are now in danger of allowing the season to slip through their fingers. And that’s simply not good enough.

It also raises a lot of unwanted questions about the mentality of some of these guys and about the strength of their character and desire. Every man and his dog have had something to say about it over the last 48 hours. Are they prepared to go that extra mile and fight and scratch for the badge on their chest? Or do they not really have the stomach for it?

I personally didn’t have any doubts about it but, yes, the way they have performed over the last couple of weeks has left me scratching my head and wondering if some of these guys truly understand how privileged they are to be pulling on that shirt. Or if they’re not really all that bothered.

The good news is we’ll soon find out because there will be absolutely no hiding place for any of them over the remaining weeks of the campaign. We’re all about to see in front of our own eyes how much - or how little - it means to them. The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak. As I learned myself, strange things can happen on Old Firm day. That they dug deep and clawed their way back to earn a 3-3 draw from the derby restored a sense of confidence.

But to follow that up with the kind of lacklustre performances they’ve produced at Ross County and Dundee? At such a monumentally important stage in the season? I honestly can’t get my head around it. The only positive thing I can say in their favour is that their destiny is still in their own hands. They still have the chance to show that they do deserve to be champions. But, instead of making it easy for themselves, they’re going to have to do it the most difficult way imaginable.

Not only will they have to beat Celtic at Parkhead on May 11 but they’re also going to have to score more goals than them and maybe hope for someone else to do them a turn or two along the way. And that’s a horrible position for them to find themselves in when they should have been in a commanding position going into the final stretch.

Having been in this situation myself on a couple of occasions I know the stress levels involved in trying to win a title which might come down to goal difference on the final day. We managed it in 2003 when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 on the last day of the season when Celtic could only score four away at Kilmarnock.
Aye Barry and 3 years after in 2006 you thought you knew better than the manger.

Surprised he didn't bring lenny into the article.
Great player,but can't take anything he says seriously.
Loves the Rangers no doubt,but l9ves the blue pound more

Can't wait for the new Ford Cortina to be launched and finding out who shot JR!
The game has moved on, when I was an apprentice my tradesman decked me for melting his Kit kat next to a hot pie, it doesn't work like that now. Don't get me wrong it never caused me any harm and I never ran crying but the world is a different place, if you think making people cry in corners will win us a title all the best.
There's a difference between abuse and giving someone a well deserved kick up the arse.

images

When I read the title of the article, I thought he was talking about his hair cut:

Last edited:

That Prso poster has the laughing emoji at your post. Sometimes you think, why bother?

The game against that lot, was bad enough. But the two results last Sunday and then on Wednesday are nails in the coffin.

Can we still win it? Yes we can, but the recent results suggest it is unlikely. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial.

I’m not being a surrender monkey, simply a realist who can’t see where another win is coming from, too many of our players have either shat it, are exhausted, or have simply reverted back to being poor footballers after an improved spell.

Ferguson got it tight on the Forum and in the Stands when we were struggling, I for one criticised him when it was due. But at least he won more trophies than any of the current squad.

I'm still not a fan of him being a Columnist.

Some of us grew up watching football when that kind of player was accepted and expected.
With regret, that style doesn't suit todays game.

Last edited:
Reactions: VGM
Back