Ben Davies to start against celtic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about his performances in europa league especially betis ? And to put it bluntly you have no clue why he’s been out so long and I would bet it’s %^*& all to do with ability
He was pretty poor for the second goal in Betis.

That was one of his better games I’d agree.

But even on a good night he can be a liability.

At least Goldson won't be playing. Don't think I can watch that pair concede the same goal against Kyogo another time.

Balogun had a nightmare last time away to them so not really confident with either of them to be honest but hopefully Davies getting a goal last weekend gives him confidence.

Davies isn't great but the biggest problem is his lack of match practice. I don't know why we haven't been giving him a few run-outs here and there in anticipation of a problem situation like this.

Whit?
Did you watch Tav with Maeda the last game?

Vickers is there defence take him out its a game changer
He had a nightmare overall last game, I accept that (although the goal he gave away was somewhat of a freak that 9 times out of 10 ricochets to safety). The same Tav has also scored half of our last 10 goals against them and assisted another and that includes goals at parkhead.

He had a absalute nightmare at parkhead.

The bheasts will be rubbing their hands if our back 4 is Tav Davies Souttar and Barasic.

Gave me the fear even writing it
Was thinking the same thing. I could feel my bowels start to collapse just reading the names off there

Hopefully we can settle on a first XI like -

Butland

Tavernier
Souttar
Davies
Ridvan

Sterling
Lundstram
Diomande

McCausland
Cantwell

Dessers

Yeah I mean, on his last start there Balogun got a straight red at 0-2 down.

Davies & Souttar played well in the 2-3, apart from the individual moments of insanity. And I accept that’s a pretty bloody monumental caveat!

It is what it is. Strap on!

Errr, in! Strap in, I meant.

Can't wait to see the replies after the game here if he has a stormer and we keep a clean sheet.

Never understood the negativity around Davies. This is a guy signed by Jurgen Klopp who’s played at the highest level

The few mistakes he’s made have been highlighted and turned him into a scapegoat. Thrown under the bus by GvB and Beale to try to save their own skin

He’s still a very accomplished player, left footed, experienced & won’t be phased. He’ll manage the mentally challenged attack just fine

BEN DAVIES is set to start for Rangers in Saturday’s massive Old Firm title crunch.

SunSport understands stopper Leon Balogun won’t be risked in the huge clash, after hurting his back last weekend against Kilmarnock.

Davies, 28, came off the bench to make his first appearance in five months, and scored his first-ever Gers goal in the 4-1 win.

The centre-back is now expected to keep his place alongside John Souttar, with Ibrox boss Philippe Clement reluctant to take any chances on Balogun’s fitness.

The Nigeria international is expected to be back in time for the Scottish Cup final with Celtic on May 25. Connor Goldson is already out for the season after hurting medial knee ligaments last week in a freak training incident.

Davies and Souttar will now be paired in a must-win derby at Celtic Park, as Gers seek to draw level with the Hoops at the Premiership summit.

Midfielder Ryan Jack is also stepping up his latest fightback from injury.

The Scotland star made a Rangers B appearance against Queen’s Park in the Glasgow Cup at Gers’ training centre yesterday.

Jack has been out of first-team action since the March 7 Europa League tie away against Benfica.

Clement recently stated he hoped to get the 32-year-old involved before the end of the season as they chase a Treble.

He played the first half against the Spiders, but was taken off at the break as Gers look to ease him back into action.

Jack has made 24 appearances this season for Rangers and Scotland, half of them starts.

He is desperately hoping to feature again with just three league matches and the Scottish Cup final left this month.

National team boss Steve Clarke is also keeping an interest on Jack’s progress, as he ponders his 26-man squad for next month’s Euros finals.

His last cap came in the 3-3 qualifying draw against Norway at Hampden last November.

Jack’s Gers’ deal is up in June, and his seven-year Ibrox spell is expected to end as Clement prepares for major squad rebuilding.
Balogun news is correct so naturally Davies would come in

Never understood the negativity around Davies. This is a guy signed by Jurgen Klopp who’s played at the highest level

The few mistakes he’s made have been highlighted and turned him into a scapegoat. Thrown under the bus by GvB and Beale to try to save their own skin

He’s still a very accomplished player, left footed, experienced & won’t be phased. He’ll manage the mentally challenged attack just fine
Who gives af if he signed for Liverpool by Klopp? He never made an appearance.

The negativity comes from the fact he's been a rotten signing. What else would it be about?

Last edited:
giphy.gif
Is that the wee Japanese when he's near our box?

Look, it’s not ideal, but let’s remember we’re playing a team who were beaten at home by Motherwell and Hearts. It’s not Brazil 70 we’re up against here. We can do this.
They haven't been beaten by Motherwell all season. Rangers were beaten at home by Motherwell. About 3 weeks after they lost to Hearts at home, they beat Rangers. They've won two derbies and drawn one. Rangers could win on Saturday, but the odds are pretty long...

If our CB pairing is Davies and Souttar, then Souttar MUST pick up Carter-Vickers at set pieces and stick to him like glue. He'll bully Davies and we cannot afford that.

I would rather have Balogun playing, as he is better in the air and has a wee bit of recovery pace, especially as they will be looking for that through ball to Kyogo.

However, Davies is still a decent player, and capable of doing a job on Saturday. As long as the overall approach from the team is spot on, ie take no chances in defence, try and play the game in their half, and show them no respect, then we have a chance. The manager has to make sure the players believe it is still possible.

We have players that can hurt them, and I don’t understand Bears waving the white flag before a ball is kicked. Even a draw isn’t totally the end of the world, as they would need to go to Killie needing a result, with us level on points, assuming we beat Dundee the night before. Overall it is a long shot, but still doable.

I wonder if we could be seeing a bit of mind games from Clement. They pull this shit all the time across the city, indicating either officially or through backchannels that players are injured before they make "miraculous recoveries".

How magic would it be after all this to see Balogun, Goldson, Sima and Danilo all lined up on the teamsheet aha.

I would rather Balogun playing, as he is better in the air and has a wee bit of recovery pace, especially as they will be looking for that through ball to Kyogo.

However, Davies is still a decent player, and capable of doing a job on Saturday. As long as the overall approach from the team is spot on, ie take no chances in defence, try and play the game in their half, and show them no respect, then we have a chance. The manager has to make sure the players believe it is still possible.

We have players that can hurt them, and I don’t understand Bears waving the white flag before a ball is kicked. Even a draw isn’t totally the end of the world, as they would need to go to Killie needing a result, with us level on points, assuming we beat Dundee the night before. Overall it is a long shot, but still doable.
Agree with everything you say except that part. A draw on Saturday and the league will be lost.

We won't claw back 3 points + a goal difference of 5 in two games.

Agree with everything you say except that part. A draw on Saturday and the league will be lost.

We won't claw back 3 points + a goal difference of 5 in two games.
It would obviously make it more difficult if we draw and don’t win, but Killie are capable of beating them, especially if they think it is won after a draw with us.

We beat Dundee by two and they lose to Killie by one, then that would bring it down to just a couple of goals. At the moment, I would take that going into the last game. We have pumped Hearts before at Tynecastle and can do it again.

Yeah I mean, on his last start there Balogun got a straight red at 0-2 down.

Davies & Souttar played well in the 2-3, apart from the individual moments of insanity. And I accept that’s a pretty bloody monumental caveat!

It is what it is. Strap on!

Errr, in! Strap in, I meant.
Our defenders "playing well" apart from the goals they gift away is a real thing for people now isn't it.

It would obviously make it more difficult if we draw and don’t win, but Killie are capable of beating them, especially if they think it is won after a draw with us.

We beat Dundee by two and they lose to Killie by one, then that would bring it down to just a couple of goals. At the moment, I would take that going into the last game. We have pumped Hearts before at Tynecastle and can do it again.
I admire your optimism. Looking at our performances over the last 6 weeks I think we're more likely to drop points from our remaining two games than they are.

For me Saturday is win or bust and to put any hope in Killie doing the job for us is fanciful stuff.

Still get the fear after he gave the ball away on the by line only for them to score
To be honest, man. It's just one more utterly horrific error, lost within the myriad of absolute brainfarts we have had against that mob in the last few seasons.

These players are all much of a muchness and I firmly believe we will be adding another contender to our unbridled capacity for mistakes home Saturday.

Utterly depressing, as it is.

The problem with the idea though is that they play an uninspired St Mirren at Parkhead on the last day.

You're not throwing a player under the bus if you pick him and he plays shecht. He throws you under it.

I just don’t feel confident about this game. We don’t have anything out wide, our striker is inconsistent at best. Souttar always has a mistake in him. Davies in from the cold. Just not a recipe for a good game for us.

Need to be careful with bookings and red cards

We only have king on the bench who is a natural CD
Unless, Phil plays Dujon at left center back

Need to be careful with bookings and red cards

We only have king on the bench who is a natural CD
Unless, Phil plays Dujon at left center back

He had a nightmare previously against them at the crimescene.

Unfortunately you could attach almost any first team player in recent years to this sentence, this why we are the way we are. Need them all to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back