Ben Davies to start against celtic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not throwing a player under the bus if you pick him and he plays shecht. He throws you under it.

The problem is the likes of Goldson & Barisic have had plenty of howlers in these games in the past few years but it was politically unpopular for the managers to drop them

It was Davies that had to be the fall guy despite being no worse than our other defenders

More likely to struggle with someone like Vassell or Curtis Main, due to his physical limitations. It’s not ideal, but not the end of the world.
A sensible take with a bit of context.

Davies has not been a good signing but he is clearly not a bad player, just ill suited to the thugonomics of Scottish Football. Hardly having the chance to play his natural game and being out the team for the most part is hardly going to have helped him but appearing and scoring a goal last weekend must have given him some boost.

My greater concern is the mistake laden partner he is going to be playing against.

No issue with that.

More likely to struggle with someone like Vassell or Curtis Main, due to his physical limitations. It’s not ideal, but not the end of the world.

Will help us play through them as well.

Yep, I agree.
celtic are probably the least physical side in our league and their forwards don't out muscle anyone, that's not their game.

Davies reads situations well and is probably our only central defender who is comfortable on the left central side of defence.

His lack of match practice is a bit of a concern, but nowhere near as much of a worry as our wide forward options.

Yep, I agree.
celtic are probably the least physical side in our league and their forwards don't out muscle anyone, that's not their game.

Davies reads situations well and is probably our only central defender who is comfortable on the left central side of defence.

His lack of match practice is a bit of a concern, but nowhere near as much of a worry as our wide forward options.
Not sure why we are persisting with a system with wide forwards when it would appear the manager's current best options for the roles are a right back/midfielder and a striker.

Square pegs round holes etc.

Not sure why we are persisting with a system with wide forwards when it would appear the manager's current best options for the roles are a right back/midfielder and a striker.

Agree 100%.

It's not just the lack of forward creativity either, it's also their lack of defensive discipline.

If Silva plays wide left then our left back will be faced with constant overloads, as Silva's defensive tracking is worse than useless.
Johnston and Kuhn will constantly double up on Yilmaz or Barisic.

I have never been less confident going into an
OF. I really have the fear for this one.

You not followed Rangers for long mate?

I can think of plenty of occasions over the past decade that we had far better reason to be less confident going into a game against them.

We've already won the LC, are in the SC Final and just 3 points behind them in the league with 3 games to go.

The 3 previous old firm games this season could easily have gone our way, had the officials done their job properly.
It's been very fine margins.

We're definitely not playing at our best just now, but neither are they.
Let's not forget it was only a couple of weeks ago that they needed penalties to beat the worst Aberdeen side in years, in the SC Semi.

I'm not overly confident, but I've been far less confident about playing them, in the not too distant past.

Look, it’s not ideal, but let’s remember we’re playing a team who were beaten at home by Motherwell and Hearts. It’s not Brazil 70 we’re up against here. We can do this.
We’re a team that was beaten at home by Motherwell and Aberdeen.

He may have had a poor game against them at the piggery, but people have amnesia about Balogun’s performance there in the last game. Sent off and at fault for the second goal when he charged out of defence, ahead of the midfield, to win a ball he didn’t need to win.

You not followed Rangers for long mate?

I can think of plenty of occasions over the past decade that we had far better reason to be less confident going into a game against them.

We've already won the LC, are in the SC Final and just 3 points behind them in the league with 3 games to go.

The 3 previous old firm games this season could easily have gone our way, had the officials done their job properly.
It's been very fine margins.

We're definitely not playing at our best just now, but neither are they.
Let's not forget it was only a couple of weeks ago that they needed penalties to beat the worst Aberdeen side in years, in the SC Semi.

I'm not overly confident, but I've been far less confident about playing them, in the not too distant past.
People have very short memories when it comes things like this. Or just like being over-dramatic.

We’re a team that was beaten at home by Motherwell and Aberdeen.
Exactly. It’s not a given either way. They were taken to penalties 2 weeks ago against the worst Aberdeen team in a decade yet they’re certain they’ll beat us tomorrow. Hate saying it, but maybe we could get some of that mindset to rub off on us. A mediocre team with that mindset has a better chance of winning than a mediocre team who have our mentality.

He might score the winner
I noticed last season that he was up at every corner and felt a goal must be coming… thought it odd that he was about 40/1 for first scorer and 20s for any time.

It cost me a quid most weeks of the season to work out why :eek:

I had a knowing that he would score when he came on at halftime last weekend!
Two in the space of a week seems unlikely though.

Thought he looked good and aggresive when he came on against Killie. I was worried about him being up againts Vassell but he done well against him and seen him subbed about 15 minutes later as he wasn't getting a sniff against him.
I've no problem with him starting.

He is the only player I can remember that the opinion of him is that he is worse the longer he out. If he plays on Sunday he plays and maybe being left footed might help BB if he plays.

He's started 4 games against Celtic. We've conceded 8 goals.

Anyone seeing this as a positive is a better man than me.
It’s pretty fcking far from a positive

Combined with Souttar, Tav and Barisic making up the rest of the back 4 it’s an absolute nightmare

And when it keeps failing

We will just need to support the XI that Clement picks to do the job and send them there with our full backing.

I’m trying to remember how a young me felt on 24 Oct 1970 on hearing the Rangers captain was out of the Old Firm Cup Final and 16 year old Derek Johnstone would play CF, for a Rangers team with no trophies in 5 years. Could you imagine FF that morning.

The problem is the likes of Goldson & Barisic have had plenty of howlers in these games in the past few years but it was politically unpopular for the managers to drop them

It was Davies that had to be the fall guy despite being no worse than our other defenders
A bit of revisionism going on here. I know Goldson is the current whipping boy in the support, but be realistic, Davies absolutely is not as good a player as Goldson, he just isn’t.

He thought the ball was going out and left it, misjudged it completely.
Closed his eyes expecting contact which never came. It was a mistake and we all need to move past it and get behind Davies. But it was a criminal way to concede a goal.

Not good news if we have to go with Davies and Souttar. Throw in our captain who is shit scared of Meada and I can't see it ending well.

The bheasts will come out all guns blazing looking for a couple of goals early on.

Played well against Killie and we’ll need to hope he can build on that. Struggling to think of any of our center halves who’ve had a good game against them recently.

The one thing Ben Davies does improve us on is beating their press when we’re playing out from the back. Having two right footed center backs has hindered us previously and slows our play down massively. Against a pressing team like the scum a left footed center half is a positive.

Until he passes the ball to Barisic and we turn inwards to Butland.

He's so week in all the other parts of his games that I don't see it as any sort of benefit compared to had we had Balogun (who has massive limitations too)

I see Davies as an expensive Danny Wilson really

Sadly it’s what we’re left with as a result of injuries and poor recruitment in the central defensive area under previous regimes.

He doesn’t really inspire me and I don’t think he’s ever really grasped what being a Ranger is in his time at the club and looked like he’d well and truly shat his pants in the game where he had a mare there.

For me, it will purely down to luck as to whether he pulls it out of the bag tomorrow.

Tomorrow he needs to be more aggressive, don't let the ball bounce and find a blue shirt with every pass into midfield.

Never understood the negativity around Davies. This is a guy signed by Jurgen Klopp who’s played at the highest level

The few mistakes he’s made have been highlighted and turned him into a scapegoat. Thrown under the bus by GvB and Beale to try to save their own skin

He’s still a very accomplished player, left footed, experienced & won’t be phased. He’ll manage the mentally challenged attack just fine

Industrial grade nonense, this.

Until he passes the ball to Barisic and we turn inwards to Butland.

He's so week in all the other parts of his games that I don't see it as any sort of benefit compared to had we had Balogun (who has massive limitations too)

I see Davies as an expensive Danny Wilson really
He’s not great but none of our center backs have been against them. Balogun got caught out massively against them last time through his own mistake.

Just trying to look for positives and having Davies playing out from the back will help massively. We ideally need a left footed, right footed, center half partnership next season. For playing out from the back (especially through a press) it’s very important. If Yilmaz plays then it’ll make a huge difference.

Saw this coming a mile off when Goldson got injured tbh. Balogun was never making it through without an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back