Ben Davies

In what way is it too early? he brings a better balance to the team he's played a lot of first-team football with experience of training at a very high level with Liverpool, his distribution is good and CH is his natural position.

He was bought to play there and should be the starting LCB moving forward including against PSV.
Don't mean to pish on your chips mate but how long did he train with Liverpool before getting loaned out

It's like saying Jack Simpson is better because he trained with the famous

In what way is it too early? he brings a better balance to the team he's played a lot of first-team football with experience of training at a very high level with Liverpool, his distribution is good and CH is his natural position.

He was bought to play there and should be the starting LCB moving forward including against PSV.

Exactly, he had a full pre-season at Liverpool and has now made a few appearances for us to get match sharpness and acquitted with our style. It's madness to suggest Sands should start tomorrow over an established £4m centre back who, like you said, has been training at the highest level, so will have the fitness (and more) that come with that.

Do they get away with wrestling players to the ground and red card offences in Europe these days?
My home work consisted of, is the ref Scottish.
Answer, No.
For 100% mate. Aced it.
PSV which is my concern at this time is crosses to both of the players I mentioned. Look at PSV v Ajax and Monaco, The ball was played to de Jong at the back post. I will say one thing, we can't play a 5ft dwarf there,

PSV which is my concern at this time is crosses to both of the players I mentioned. Look at PSV v Ajax and Monaco, The ball was played to de Jong at the back post. I will say one thing, we can't play a 5ft dwarf there,
Can Tillman play central defence.

I'd take 5-2 now.
On Tuesday that is.

Exactly, he had a full pre-season at Liverpool and has now made a few appearances for us to get match sharpness and acquitted with our style. It's madness to suggest Sands should start tomorrow over an established £4m centre back who, like you said, has been training at the highest level, so will have the fitness (and more) that come with that.
We are going to need defenders that defend first not fancy passing out

To be honest I'd still rather big bassey than 2 players sands and Davies that's built like the side of a chip poke

Goldson Davies
Sands
Lundstram
Tillman
Lawrence Colak Kent

I'd start with that if Kent is fit.
If not. Matonda.
Sands doesn't start in DM for me. He's not been great in that position. And it's a vital one.

I thought Jack and Lundstram played well together on Saturday. Jack offers more too.

Also, I don't fancy Lawrence out wide. I would play Matondo there. Lawrence could maybe even tuck in, in front of lundstram, with Tillman as AM.

It's a pity Morelos isn't up to speed yet, because,

Goldson Davies
Lundstram
Lawrence
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent

looks sexy AF.

Can Tillman play central defence.

I'd take 5-2 now.
On Tuesday that is.
I get the feeling you are not taking PSV serious. If we can stop crosses coming in, then your forecast could be right, but PSV are head strong when it comes to attacking. If they play Xavi Simons instead of Til then they will be more technical than head strong.

Looks a classy CH, but is he fully match fit to start Tuesday ?

It's going to be a physical battle over the 2 legs, and he hardly got tested against StJ.
I think we just need to trust Gio to make the right decision.

You could also push Sands into MF depending on Jack's fitness.

I think Davies will partner Goldson at CB against PSV pretty much shoed on imo. Gio and those who understand this game know that even a half fit Davies at CB will be more effective than full fit Sands. Sands will play an important part in our season no doubt about that but it won’t be agains PSV when the stakes are at the highest.

I rate Sands highly and think he’ll maybe even go on to be the better player. But vs PSV I’d go with Davies as he’s more steady and experienced and we’ll need that level head.
What experience does Davies have playing in Europe?
Because he was on the bench at Liverpool doesn’t make him experienced.

Thought he strolled it but he hardly had anything to do.

Hopefully he nails down that LCB place as it is good having a left footed player there.

I see Sands more of a midfielder than a CB.

What experience does Davies have playing in Europe?
Because he was on the bench at Liverpool doesn’t make him experienced.
275 Senior career appearances vs 70.
Sands has massive potential but he's noticeably raw at times and quite rash, something more games will iron out. Davies looks a lot calmer and that will be needed.

How do you think he played ? Noticed he lost a few headers but was warned beforehand this wasn't his biggest asset.
Thought his passing was brilliant.

Start on Tuesday ? Thoughts

Looked fine, but was totally untested.

Big call for Gio, whether or not Davies or Sands starts alongside Goldson tomorrow night.

Glad it's not me making the decision.

Big call for Gio, whether or not Davies or Sands starts alongside Goldson tomorrow night.

Think it has to be Davies. We've paid good money for him, these are the sort of nights that go towards justifying that.

In reality, it’s absolutely impossible to say when you’re playing the worst team in the league at home and they don’t even get out of their own half.

Let’s come back to this one in 3 months.

Okay mate no problem, dm me in 10 years time and I’ll name the charity for you to donate to.

When Davies was Sands age he was on a loan spells at Newport County who then were in the Conference South and he wasn’t an automatic starter for them.

Sands at 22 is playing for Glasgow Rangers and he has so much more potential and will go on to be a massive player.

I say that as a fan of Davies.
I rate Sands, I thought he was our best defender the best few games despite a couple of mistakes. Sands issue is he is probably more suited to be playing on the right, which means he has got to take his spot from Goldson.

Davies or Sands and Jack or Kamara seem to be the only real decisions to be made I think. Tough, because they all bring their own merits to the team.

Was hoping to see more FF users write him off, usually a cast-iron guarantee that he’ll end up as a very good player.

Far too early to tell how good he is. Gio likes Sands and expect he will play against PSV. (Thankfully I now can type PSV and not PSG)

I think it’ll be Sands and Kamara.
I wasn't going to commit because its such a tough call ha ha.

I thought Davies looked extremely comfortable on Saturday though, as others have said, hardly tested - and he did play his part in the single St J chance. Being a 'leftie' he also seemed to 'fit' better with Barisic. I'm inclined to think he hasn't yet played enough football for us for Tuesday night and will likely miss out. The position will be his in the medium to longer term though. Sands to start Tuesday.

Jack or Kamara is tougher. In a technical game Kamara is probably the better option. If its a battle or if we need someone to get the fans going then probably Jack. I've not seen any of PSV but, being a Dutch team, I expect them to focus on playing technical pass and move football. On that basis I'm edging slightly towards Kamara as well.

Be better games to properly judge him but looks promising, we didnt pay that money for him to not be a starter that's fairly obvious.

Okay mate no problem, dm me in 10 years time and I’ll name the charity for you to donate to.

When Davies was Sands age he was on a loan spells at Newport County who then were in the Conference South and he wasn’t an automatic starter for them.

Sands at 22 is playing for Glasgow Rangers and he has so much more potential and will go on to be a massive player.

I say that as a fan of Davies.

I get the point you're making but the info isn't really accurate.

Newport were in League Two at the time and he started 16 out of his 19 league appearances for them, it was a spell on loan from January on.

He was also only 20 during that loan spell.

By the time he was 22, he was playing for Preston in the Championship.

Can see him struggling against guys like Lafferty or Nouble of Livingston, purely based on the fact that the teams will punt long balls up and play off that.

A perfectly reasonable thread wanting to discuss one of our new signings becomes a shitflinging match within 10 posts B-D.

Davies looked assured against Saints, still early days but I think he will be first choice alongside Goldson. We have a much better squad this season and can make changes without sacrificing a massive amount quality.

I like the balance a left footed centre half gives us but I wonder how he'll deal with a physical striker especially in Scotland.

The only thing I have seen him do was get his foot in as the St J player was about to shoot, and the ball deflected high in the air. Tbf, that’s exactly the type of attitude I like, positive aggression and knowing where you have to be to effect the moment.

275 Senior career appearances vs 70.
Sands has massive potential but he's noticeably raw at times and quite rash, something more games will iron out. Davies looks a lot calmer and that will be needed.
Sands is going good, Davies will be the main partner for goldson I believe.
Just now he is miles off the pace or would be starting, but it’s sands jersey to lose.
Or goldsons if he has a few nightmares.
Time will tell. At least between these 3 I feel batter than I did last season

Goldson needs dropping he thinks he’s un droppable I know it’s risky but you will never find through training if there is better pairing he make’s countless mistakes and gets caught out of position many a time aswell

Goldson needs dropping he thinks he’s un droppable I know it’s risky but you will never find through training if there is better pairing he make’s countless mistakes and gets caught out of position many a time aswell
He’s been very poor this season and started last season exactly the same way but we don’t have great options to replace him.

We would either have to go with Sands and Davies who are good players but both lack physicality. Then there is Souttar who seems to be injured again and has not looked good when he has played and Helander who I doubt will even play with us again if at all

From the limited game time we have seen I would hazard the thought that John Souttar is the most "take no prisoners" central defender that we have. One of the problems is that he clearly prefers right centre where Goldson plays so we are playing him out of position. I don't hugely fancy any of the options for left centre to be honest.

He’s been very poor this season and started last season exactly the same way but we don’t have great options to replace him.

We would either have to go with Sands and Davies who are good players but both lack physicality. Then there is Souttar who seems to be injured again and has not looked good when he has played and Helander who I doubt will even play with us again if at all
I get what your saying but we might just need to try another parternship 2 things It could and maybe also give goldson the boot up arse required you know yourself if you know no matter how you play your in the team same could be said for tav as no cover but hes not nearly as bad

Back