Best manager ever?

Superswally173

On the eve of 'sir' walters service, I was thinking about him, and believe he was one of the greatest managers ever...
But due to finances against results, believe he could possibly edge it.
Not aware of too many mangers outwith UK though...

I know Alex Ferguson is an obvious choice also but he had the money behind him too.

Thoughts

On the eve of 'sir' walters service, I was thinking about him, and believe he was one of the greatest managers ever...

I know Alex Ferguson is an obvious choice also but he had the money behind him too.

Thoughts
Don't think you can beat Pep,who spoke well of Walter. I'd have to add Jose to that.

I loved Walter, but he’s far from the greatest Scottish manager ever let alone the whole world.

As much as Ferguson had money at Old Trafford, he didn’t at Pittodrie yet turned them into the premier force in Scottish football winning a European trophy in the process. He’d certainly be my shout for best British manager of all time.

Fergie is the best ever for me. Rebuilt team after team and must’ve dealt well with having to change his man management style a lot with the beginning of the modern superstar egos. Something I’m not so sure many of the old school iron fist managers would’ve dealt with.

SAF replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, Owen and Valencia because of the budget he was under

The team he left was a shambles as well

With time people will only forget that more but he’s got to be the best

Thoughts
We love Walter for what he was. A gent, a leader, a parent, and an all-round good egg.

Not interested in what may have happened if...

Thoughts
Struth beats him even at Rangers, but in modern times far and away our best manager and in my lifetime the best Scottish Manager bar Fergie. All three however in the all time list of greatest managers.

In my lifetime
71-now
Bob Paisley
Sir Alex
Sir Walter
Jose
And as a curveball Warnock

Outwith Rangers, for me Bob Paisley.
Paisley was a great manager.
However, he was part of a well-oiled machine that had been put together by Bill Shankly and the tracks had been so well laid that it was running smoothly for years after even Paisley left.
Shanks had taken over the club when things like doors were hanging off hinges and elevated it from the second division to the top of English football.
Paisley would then build on the inheritance and take it to the top of Europe.

Bill Shankly where Liverpool were to where he took them was a remarkable achievement and put in foundations for a period of prolonged success.

Paisley was a great manager.
However, he was part of a well-oiled machine that had been put together by Bill Shankly and the tracks had been so well laid that it was running smoothly for years after even Paisley left.
Shanks had taken over the club when things like doors were hanging off hinges and elevated it from the second division to the top of English football.
Paisley would then build on the inheritance and take it to the top of Europe.
Absolutely bb. Shankly lay the foundations for 30 + years of unprecedented success of Liverpool. I was taking it from a personal point of view in relation to my age.

In my lifetime
71-now
Bob Paisley
Sir Alex
Sir Walter
Jose
And as a curveball Warnock
Ferguson for me.
But not for his accomplishments at Manchester United which were enough to make him an all-time great, but to elevate him to the very top it has to be his accomplishments at Aberdeen.

Managers at clubs like Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc have fantastic advantages which are never shared north of the border although Rangers and The Filth have some of them, other clubs simply do not, and for a manager to take a club like Aberdeen to a period of dominance in Scotland that was crowned with a European trophy, has to make him the greatest British manager of the post-war period.

Bill Struth stands above them all because he made Rangers into the club it is and he did it without the modern advantages of huge influxes of money that are generated beyond eleven men attracting thousands of paying customers, to watch them on a Saturday.
Further, he made Rangers the biggest football club in Britain notwithstanding all of the disadvantages of the era that came with being a club in a smaller league competing with a bigger neighbour who sucked as much of the blood it could from other parts of the Kingdom.

Absolutely bb. Shankly lay the foundations for 30 + years of unprecedented success of Liverpool. I was taking it from a personal point of view in relation to my age.
Of course, Paisley took the ball and ran into areas Bill never managed to penetrate and stands as a genius in his own right.
However, he did inherit a wonderful platform whilst Bill started off with just the wood and tools.

Of course, Paisley took the ball and ran into areas Bill never managed to penetrate and stands as a genius in his own right.
However, he did inherit a wonderful platform whilst Bill started off with just the wood and tools.
And to think, that all came about with a lad from the wee Ayrshire village of Glenbuck.

It's a hard question to answer due to all different eras.
Brian Clough has to be the correct answer though

Trappatoni has to be a close contender to Ferguson.
Sir Alex for me, but he stayed loyal and did it with two clubs.
Trappatonis record with Juve was something else, but he moved around and won titles and trophies in other leagues.

Ferguson has a couple of things in common

1) they would get players to run through walls for them.
2) they could drain every last ounce of potential out of a squad.

Just look at Uniteds final season under Ferguson and the uefa cup final run.

Neither side had the right to do what they did.

As much as I love Walter. It was clkugh. Best England manager their never was
I’ve never really looked into clough. He hit the heights in the late 70’s. But then didn’t do much beyond that. What was behind that?

The success he had was outstanding till that point

I’ve never really looked into clough. He hit the heights in the late 70’s. But then didn’t do much beyond that. What was behind that?

The success he had was outstanding till that point
I think alcohol took its grip on him mate . P.s. hope your well

Aside from the fact that he was a paedophile enabler, you have to put Jock Stein in the list of top managers.
What he accomplished was very impressive, despite being a despicable cūnt.

Back