Best midfielder in Italy

given the fact his old man and uncle weren't overly blessed with intellect, the fact he's gone over there, learned the language, adapted to the culture and excelled is a great credit to him and his upbringing.

what school did he go to?

How much did he cost the Italian club who signed him? (I'm that uninterested, I don't know who they are)

Do you think we'd have been able to purchase him for the same price?

Of course we need a core of Scottish, Rangers fans in our side who know what it's all about, but at the same time I don't want us being held to ransom financially.

£2.1m up front and £900,000 in add-ons

No chance we'd have got him for that.

People keep saying this to justify not signing him but it's alot of shit mate. Yes he's against better players but no pressure for Bologna and no European football so far. He would have been a great signing.
Maybe he would have been a good signing, but I doubt he would be same player he is now.

I think it is imperative that we find a Italian club to loan Diomande to for next year, and the one after so that he can develop properly as it won't happen with us.

Calvin Bassey went from a £300k player to a £20m player in 2 years with us.

Absolute nonsense to say players can't develop with us.

People keep saying this to justify not signing him but it's alot of shit mate. Yes he's against better players but no pressure for Bologna and no European football so far. He would have been a great signing.
People keep saying it cos they decide very early that Scottish players are never good enough, more importantly none of them feel exciting or interesting signings..... when you start from that position you are never going to say i got it wrong it is easier to double down with some dung about the food or the tactics.

My favourite is that these clubs wont ever sell to Rangers as if spfl can afford to knock back millions of pounds.

Hindsight's wonderful thing. The player who left for Italy is far removed from the guy we're talking about today. He was a decent workman like midfielder with limited redeeming features to suggest he'd succeed here.

In all honesty the biggest thing Ferguson had going for him in terms of signing for us was his allegiance to Rangers.

People keep saying it cos they decide very early that Scottish players are never good enough, more importantly none of them feel exciting or interesting signings..... when you start from that position you are never going to say i got it wrong it is easier to double down with some dung about the food or the tactics.

My favourite is that these clubs wont ever sell to Rangers as if spfl can afford to knock back millions of pounds.
Spot on. Its annoying alot of our fans don't like or want to sign scottish players because a good Scottish core that know what it's all about is crucial for us winning trophies and has been there for the majority of our trophies in my lifetime and I'm 30.

I never thought he was shite, but was against signing him as he would probably have been red carded every other game if he played for us. Can you (baulk) image Shinnie of the sheep, Devlin of Hearts or Bug eyes from the tramps in our team? Due to bans & red cards they'd have a play time of less than 90mins, over the entire season...

It was well reported and expected that he would’ve been leaving in the summer.

Juventus, Napoli etc were looking at him. His dad was hinting at it on open goal also.
Since when does anyone take anything Derek Ferguson says seriously? And a couple of Daily Record articles linking him is a million miles away from "a deal with Juventus all but done."

He'll end up at a Bournemouth or Brentford.

Since when does anyone take anything Derek Ferguson says seriously? And a couple of Daily Record articles linking him is a million miles away from "a deal with Juventus all but done."

When he’s talking about his son I’d guess he knows more than you! Plenty of talk and noise in Italy if you look further than Scottish newspapers.

I’m sure there will be interest from Premier League clubs but why would he go there when he could stay in Italy. If all goes well with his recovery then I’m sure he’ll make the step up.

One thing is for certain, he would have been best midfielder on the park this coming Saturday, and the one in the blue jersey that would care the most
Btw I know he's injured just speaking hypothetically

It's far from low risk if a club demands £4m or more for an SPFL player. Especially if we're likely to have to pay more than other clubs.

I believe there are players in Scotland that would help our squad but only at the right price.

The way it gets thrown about on here after he’s been good is as if we could have got him for 100k or something.

who are the others that you would like us to sign?
David Watson, Lennon Miller and Miovski are 3 I would say would actually improve our starting 11 immediately.

Watson and Miller could potentially fall into the bracket some people feel "wouldn't develop the same at us" but I would say both are better options than Lundstram.

Even still I'd happily sign both and immediately loan back to their clubs for a year if people were concerned about their development.

Miovski instantly improves our starting 11, clearly knows our league and I'm confident we could easily sell on for double figures. Aberdeen are unlikely to let him go cheap and could easily hold out for £6-8m for him.

One thing is for certain, he would have been best midfielder on the park this coming Saturday, and the one in the blue jersey that would care the most
Btw I know he's injured just speaking hypo

That’s as maybe but who can foresee the future with such accuracy?
Even if he didn’t, he might have developed enough to be the best midfielder in Scotland!
and yet he cant get a start for scotland.

It's a complete miss on our part, and there isn't a thing that gets said about it that has ever been that sensible to justify us not signing him.

It get's said he couldn't have taken over from the likes of Kamara and Jack and would have stayed behind them

That as a point makes no sense given they were players signed of the same profile, players from clubs in Scotland who could be developed and progress, which both did, one of them having been signed from Aberdeen. He also would have displaced Jack given how often injured Jack was.

Our midfield and form during the course of the last 4 years has also often had fans wishing for others of another profile, Kamara was regularly up and down, Lundstram the same, Davis aged rapidly before being injured, Arfield aged steadily and it was clear a player should have been placed in to take minutes away from him long before that happened.

Our midfield was a problem area for years (it still is) the age profile of it was constantly increasing, Jack was a regular injury issue for years. Some have an odd sense of superiority about a group of players who would as often produce poor displays during the last 4 years as they did good.

The idea we never at any stage over the course of the last 4 years needed a young, home grown midfielder to correct the general age profile of that area was just never true.

He wouldn't have been the same player is a terrible argument as well, he feasibly could have worked with Gerrard, McAlister or Gio during his time with us, they had some form of knowledge to share when it came to playing the role of midfield.

When he’s talking about his son I’d guess he knows more than you! Plenty of talk and noise in Italy if you look further than Scottish newspapers.

I’m sure there will be interest from Premier League clubs but why would he go there when he could stay in Italy. If all goes well with his recovery then I’m sure he’ll make the step up.
Talk and noise? You said the deal was all but done. I thought you had insider knowledge of Juventus transfer policy.

Turns out it's just the usual transfer speculation. Papers filling column inches.

He was linked with plenty of teams in the summer and went nowhere. Same with January. He's a good player and hopefully he fully recovers from a serious injury but the way people go on, you'd think we missed out on Frank Lampard and not someone that can't get a game for Scotland ahead of Ryan Christie.

He’s done remarkably well over there, much better than I think most imagined.

I thought he was solid enough at Aberdeen, but didn’t really see him as having anything more about him that would have dislodged the likes of Lundstram, Jack, Arfield, Kamara, etc.

It was the right move for him. Fair play to the lad.
No amount of scounting can give a guarantee... You win some you lose some.

The amount of lads that leave Arsenal and Man City early and not good enough but yet become superstars show this. Everyone makes mistakes and misjudges the progress.

Didn't Man U release Pogba before spending something like £100 million to bring him back.

Looking last night at * i think a PSV player at 30million yet they signed him for £600k from Arsenal.

Its a lottery.

Ryan Christie has been outstanding for Bournemouth this season, nothing like a silver bullet argument against Ferguson if he can't get a game ahead of him, more so given how loyal Clarke typically is to players he uses often

David Watson, Lennon Miller and Miovski are 3 I would say would actually improve our starting 11 immediately.

Watson and Miller could potentially fall into the bracket some people feel "wouldn't develop the same at us" but I would say both are better options than Lundstram.

Even still I'd happily sign both and immediately loan back to their clubs for a year if people were concerned about their development.

Miovski instantly improves our starting 11, clearly knows our league and I'm confident we could easily sell on for double figures. Aberdeen are unlikely to let him go cheap and could easily hold out for £6-8m for him.
Watson and Miller might go on to be the best midfielders in world football but to say they are a better option right now than Lundstram is laughable.

Who's the last teenager to hold down a place at Rangers?

Nathan Patterson could have quite easily held down the RB slot for us at 19 and we would have been utterly fine for it.

He came into the team, didn't look out of place, was outstanding against Celtic in a Cup Tie and got a move for 16 million pounds.

He would never have got the chance to do that if not for injury to another player rather than it being even slightly related to his talent.

If Tavernier had never been injured Patterson would have likely still been with us, sitting on the bench rotting with people saying, just not good enough

Until we actually regularly and more often play young players and have a pathway which fails, it's not really an argument ender when some say it doesn't work, it is equally as possible we just aren't good at it.

Last edited:

This.

I don’t get the attitude at all. The vast majority of our trophy laden squads in the past have had a nucleus of Scottish talent. Signing the best Scottish talent excites me just as much as signing some guy from Colombia I’ve never heard of.

People saying he’s benefited from playing with better players. This may be true to an extent, but it carries less weight when he’s actually the main man in Bologna’s squad, wearing the captain’s armband. He will undoubtedly have made slight improvements to his game by playing in Italy, but you don’t become captain so quickly and win Serie A best midfielder in his second season without already being a quality player.

Nathan Patterson could have quite easily held down the RB slot for us at 19 and we would have been utterly fine for it.

He came into the team, didn't look out of place, was outstanding against Celtic in a Cup Tie and got a move for 16 million pounds.

He would never have got the chance to do that if not for injury to another player rather than it being even slightly related to his talent.

If Tavernier had never been injured Patterson would have likely still been with us, sitting on the bench rotting with people saying, just not good enough

Until we actually regularly and more often play young players and have a pathway which fails, it's not really an argument ender when some say it doesn't work, it is equally as possible we just aren't good at it.
Nathan Patterson isn't a better full back than Tav now, never mind at 19.

You're talking some amount of pish, and clearly have no idea of how his career was progressing in Italy. He's been getting high praise all season, made captain of his club. His manager loves him, says he's a 10/10 every week.

Juventus and other top clubs were and are still keen to sign Lewis. Hopefully he makes a speedy and full recovery and can continue on this career trajectory.

We should have signed him, but missed the boat.
I always wanted to, as he showed the fight, drive and goal threat that's been missing from our midfield in recent years.

Can't wait for the next one of these pointless threads to come along.

A month or so?

Then the same banal shite can be regurgitated yet again.

Can't wait for the next one of these pointless threads to come along.

A month or so?

Then the same banal shite can be regurgitated yet again.

Probably no posts as banal as yours though :)

He was just awarded top midfielder of the season in Serie A,

A young Scottish Rangers fan who would have ran thru a brick wall to play for us. It's kind of relevant on a football forum ?

Probably no posts as banal as yours though :)

He was just awarded top midfielder of the season in Serie A,

A young Scottish Rangers fan who would have ran thru a brick wall to play for us. It's kind of relevant on a football forum ?
It's every fucking month we get the same pish. The exact same thread.

Why?

It's gone. It's done. We keep getting the same thread. Do you understand banal?

It's every fucking month we get the same pish. The exact same thread.

Why?

It's gone. It's done. We keep getting the same thread. Do you understand banal?

Yes, it's the very definition of your contribution.

He was just given an award by his peers in Italy, that I doubt any Scottish player has ever achieved.
Captained his club to CL qualification for the first time in their history.

If you're not interested, don't open the thread and take your miserable comments elsewhere maybe?

Yes, it's the very definition of your contribution.

He was just given an award by his peers in Italy, that I doubt any Scottish player has ever achieved.
Captained his club to CL qualification for the first time in their history.

If you're not interested, don't open the thread and take your miserable comments elsewhere maybe?
Please read the definition of banal.

It doesn't matter if he wins best knobbly knees or Mr Universe.

None of it fucking matters. The same plamfs are banging on about the same shite.

We didn't sign him. We can't go back in time. Move fucking on.

Please read the definition of banal.

It doesn't matter if he wins best knobbly knees or Mr Universe.

None of it fucking matters. The same plamfs are banging on about the same shite.

We didn't sign him. We can't go back in time. Move fucking on.

"boring, ordinary and not original" ... I rest my case, and wish you a goodnight, hopefully you will calm down a bit :))

You're talking some amount of pish, and clearly have no idea of how his career was progressing in Italy. He's been getting high praise all season, made captain of his club. His manager loves him, says he's a 10/10 every week.

Juventus and other top clubs were and are still keen to sign Lewis. Hopefully he makes a speedy and full recovery and can continue on this career trajectory.

We should have signed him, but missed the boat.
I always wanted to, as he showed the fight, drive and goal threat that's been missing from our midfield in recent years.
Juventus and other top clubs were keen to sign him? You got a source for that? Or a quote from someone other than his da?

Funny how we all piss ourselves laughing when it's Tierney to Real Madrid, John McGinn to Man United or David Turnbull to AC Milan but when it's Lewis Ferguson to the Harlem Globetrotters, we've to take it as gospel.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Hilarious that all the dafties on here that only watch Scottish fitba are still dismissing the fact that this was a no brainer at the time.

He might’ve developed a lot over the last two years, but he’d have waltzed in to our midfield the minute he arrived from Aberdeen, and the average Tim players that piss on our midfield every time we play them would have had twice the game on their hands had this lad been in our team.

The disrespect shown to Bologna is also highly amusing. A team with no expectation? They’d batter us and every team in Scotland in to oblivion.

Zirkzee v Souttar would be like Tyson Fury fighting your Da outside the Louden.

Hilarious that all the dafties on here that only watch Scottish fitba are still dismissing the fact that this was a no brainer at the time.

He might’ve developed a lot over the last two years, but he’d have waltzed in to our midfield the minute he arrived from Aberdeen, and the average Tim players that piss on our midfield every time we play them would have had twice the game on their hands had this lad been in our team.

The disrespect shown to Bologna is also highly amusing. A team with no expectation? They’d batter us and every team in Scotland in to oblivion.

Zirkzee v Souttar would be like Tyson Fury fighting your Da outside the Louden.
I don't know if he'd have "waltzed" into our midfield at the time. He could have possibly played his way in given the chance, but who would have been dropped immediately on his arrival for him to start?

Also, how did the filth fare against the Aberdeen team that had (at that point) the all conquering Lewis in their midfield - they hardly seemed to struggle?

He has come on leaps & bounds at Bologna & financially is now well outwith our reach, but when he went there, he wasn't half the player he is now.

There is no way of knowing if he'd have progressed the way he has if he was with us.

I don't know if he'd have "waltzed" into our midfield at the time. He could have possibly played his way in given the chance, but who would have been dropped immediately on his arrival for him to start?

Also, how did the filth fare against the Aberdeen team that had (at that point) the all conquering Lewis in their midfield - they hardly seemed to struggle?

He has come on leaps & bounds at Bologna & financially is now well outwith our reach, but when he went there, he wasn't half the player he is now.

There is no way of knowing if he'd have progressed the way he has if he was with us.

Who would’ve been dropped? Anyone playing in his position. No one other than Steven Davis to have played for us in recent years is anywhere near his level.

You could’ve put Toni Kroos in the Sheep midfield and the Mhanks would still have still battered them. Next.

Who would’ve been dropped? Anyone playing in his position. No one other than Steven Davis to have played for us in recent years is anywhere near his level.

You could’ve put Toni Kroos in the Sheep midfield and the Mhanks would still have still battered them. Next.
No one other than Steven Davis is near his level? You are talking now. Not then. Name the Rangers player/s at that point in time he would have instantly had benched in his arrival?

Now? There is no argument.

Then? Behave yourself!

Back