Best right back from premier league era?

The Gallant Few

The finishing question from this week’s EPL pod - Who’s the best right back from the premier league era? Ivanovic, Neville & Zabaleta were the podder’s picks!

Any other contenders?

Neville I'd say, Dixon was veruy consistent in as well, Zabaleta and Ivanovic in recent years excellent as well.

Honestly couldnt split lee Dixon and gary neville
Both did it at the highest level for a good number of years. Both not totally appreciated until they stopped playing.

Gary Neville for me. Funny how the mind plays tricks on you I had memories of him flying up the wing and scoring a few goals. Think he scored 1 in his career haha

Are you 12?

A terrible shout that is onot acceptable if you are in fact, 12.
Was never a big fan of his. Thought he was part of a great defence with the likes of Terry & Cole there but I never thought he was a great RB. Funnily enough I thought his best position would’ve been RCB in a 3/5 but they didn’t really transition into that until he was away.

Tbh I don’t think RB has been a position the PL has been spoiled with quality until more recent years.

Ivanovic was a more rounded footballer than most mentioned imo and would be the best in the current game.

When it comes to pure defending though none of them get close to Gary Neville.

When this topic comes up again in 10 years it’ll be Reece James by an absolute distance.
If he stays fit. He's a better player than Neville in most departments however won't win as much for various reasons.

Neville had some career, if playing today he'd still suit certain teams, not those that want the flying wing back.

England well served by James, TAA, Walker and Trippier just now.

Dixon was also superb in his era and Ivanovic was a tank with many qualities and goal threat.

Good thread this

On the subject of right backs and England, different era I know but Gary Stevens was a sensational full back.
Attacking yes. Not the best defender, I'd have to say Gary Neville as he was a solid defender and to me that's more important.

Neville played in the best team for the longest spell, you have to give him credit for staying for, being professional, giving his all, never having a scandal, great attitude and discipline and getting the most out of himself and those around. He had a really good cross and I actual thought he was slightly better than he thinks he was, but there's definitely better footballers in his era at rb.

Reece James, TAA & Walker are all better than Ivanovic
If Trent could learn to defend then he’d be included in future conversations. Brilliant going forward, but he’s been lucky in that his breakthrough coincided with the rise of the best Liverpool team in decades. For all the grief that Southgate (rightly) gets, he’s quite right to pick Walker over TAA imo.

Attacking yes. Not the best defender, I'd have to say Gary Neville as he was a solid defender and to me that's more important.
You don't win titles and cups in England, European trophy's, play for England in World Cups and European Championships if you're not the best defender.

If Trent could learn to defend then he’d be included in future conversations. Brilliant going forward, but he’s been lucky in that his breakthrough coincided with the rise of the best Liverpool team in decades. For all the grief that Southgate (rightly) gets, he’s quite right to pick Walker over TAA imo.
Walker plays at RCB with England & James or TAA play RWB.

To call him lucky is pure recency bias nonsense. I personally can’t Liverpool but even I have to appreciate how good he is. If he’s got defensive issues, you build a system that masks they weaknesses because he’s technically one of the best players in the league.

It’s Neville but it’s arguable he played in an era when it was much easier to be a full back.

Gary Neville might be a bit of a jumped up arse but what a rightback.

The combination of Neville and Beckham was vital for Manchester United while they played together there.. Neville covered Beckham getting forward and Beckham equally filled back in easily whenever Neville roamed forward.

It was a great partnership.. it ought to have been given they’d been playing together since their teens but it was magic to watch.

It’s Gary Neville by a mile, but I’m astonished that no one has mentioned Paulo Ferreira who was also a brilliant player.

Back