Best striker of the 1990 World Cup?

s-l300.jpg

1990 was the first big tournament I really remember

Toto schillachi was the man I ran around the playground pretending to be

Crazy as it is, Van Basten failed to score at any other major finals after finishing as the top scorer at Euro 88.

It was such a shit World Cup in terms of the football on show generally, compared to the world cups recently preceding it but it probably has more memorable moments than any WC since, with Roger Milla, Gazza’s tears, England’s progress, the Pavarotti theme, the Rijkaard incident, etc. History will probably be kinder to it than it deserves. Many of the games were terrible, the average goals were way down, too many sides were negative and defensive, trying not to lose, rather than go and win.

Toto second only to Gazza at the tournament.
Some amazing strikers that year though.Possibly the best of all time at a major competition.

My first real World Cup memories were the 1990 tournament. I probably look back a bit misty eyed due to the stats, but it had some great moments, the theme, the Cameroonians, us (in the moment) beating Sweden, Gazza, Schillaci, Klinsmann, Baggio, Uruguay's late goal etc.

I wept after Scotland got put out and they done the recap with the sad song - :eek::D

I loved that World Cup, the football wasn’t the best and and some stadiums were far from full, however it was just captivating, the excitement and drama was unreal, The Germans, the cheating Argies, Gazza, Cameroon, Baggio and Toto Schillachi all set against a memorable soundtrack.

On the subject of strikers, McCoist actually thought he was playing against Costa Rica first game, Andy feckin Roxburgh had said to the strikers the front 2 are going to be Mo and Nally, meaning Alan McInally, the penny eventually dropped.

What a cretin Roxburgh was.

I was there and after Scotland got papped out we went to visit family near Naples and everyone was schillaci mad

Caniggia scored the goal to knock Brazil out

And to take Italy to pens in the semi.

No idea where he was hiding in groups

I remember being absolutely gutted that he started before Ally - especially after he scored that lob to take us there. Growing up in KP, the kids tickets were only a pound & I don’t really remember Mcinally making much of a contribution in the qualifiers.

I was there and after Scotland got papped out we went to visit family near Naples and everyone was schillaci mad

I was there too.

Put my foot through a Brazilian drum when Bandy made a c#nt of it it the last 10 minutes in Turin.

Note. The only Rangers player (whilst employed @ Ibrox) ever to score for Scotland in a World Cup Finals scored in this WC.

Mo Johnston with a penalty v Sweden in Genoa.

I loved that World Cup, the football wasn’t the best and and some stadiums were far from full, however it was just captivating, the excitement and drama was unreal, The Germans, the cheating Argies, Gazza, Cameroon, Baggio and Toto Schillachi all set against a memorable soundtrack.

On the subject of strikers, McCoist actually thought he was playing against Costa Rica first game, Andy feckin Roxburgh had said to the strikers the front 2 are going to be Mo and Nally, meaning Alan McInally, the penny eventually dropped.

What a cretin Roxburgh was.

The football wasnt great as you say but it was tense and we watched as we did not have wall to wall football on TV all year round as we do now. Its strange watching some of the highlights on the official FIFA film , passing back to the keeper was still allowed.
It was an Iconic world cup and is very memorable for that , the colours in it were amazing Sounds odd but i think because most of the games were at night under floodlights it looked great.

Back