Big bad Rangers fans spreading covid narrative has begun on the BBC

Scotty_boy90

Concern is growing about a rising number of Covid cases in Glasgow as the area prepares to move down to level two.

The latest published case rate is 58.3 per 100,000 population - well above a key threshold for easing restrictions.

A senior health official said there were clusters of high infection rates in parts of the city.

The so-called India variant is suspected to be involved, although this has yet to be confirmed.

All mainland council areas with the likely exception of Moray are due to move to level two on Monday. Attention has been focused on a surge in cases in Moray although this increase appears now to be slowing.

Moray's latest rate stands at 100.2 per 100,000 population, almost five times the Scotland-wide average, according to Public Health Scotland (PHS).

Glasgow, however, has also seen a steady rise, and is now above 50 cases per 100,000 population - one of the benchmarks for deciding if level two or level three restrictions are appropriate. Other factors taken into account include the ability of the local NHS to cope.

Scotland's clinical director, Prof Jason Leitch, told BBC Scotland's The Seven that the case rate in Glasgow has been rising for the last five or six days.

He said he was concerned but he was confident Glasgow would still be able to move to level two as hospital admissions, intensive care and mortality remained low.

"The doesn't mean I'm complacent," he said. "In fact I want to encourage people to follow the rules tonight, tonight over the weekend, into Monday and then the new rules on Monday.

"And any suggestion that people should gather in groups, or march or parade or anything that breaks rules - please don't do that because Glasgow is at a fragile moment."

Linda de Caestecker, director of public health at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, said she "anticipated" that Glasgow would still move to the lower level.

But she said officials were carefully monitoring case rates in particular districts such as Pollokshields and Battlefield in the south of the city.

While the figures published by Public Health Scotland relate to three days ago, she told BBC Radio Scotland's Drivetime the most recent data was indicating a city-wide rate of 74 cases per 100,000.

Asked what was driving the increase, she told BBC Scotland: "It seems particularly to be household mixing.

"We know that restrictions are going to be lifted in a few days' time and I do understand people thinking if we can do it on Monday, why can't we do it now. But it is people mixing together in households that we think is the source of this increase."

Ms Caestecker said some upturn in case numbers was to be expected as restrictions eased, but she was "concerned" about the increase in Glasgow.

"It shows we cannot be complacent. The numbers go up very, very quickly - particularly as we see new variants coming in that are more transmissible," she said.

A proportion of the cases in Glasgow are suspected to involve the Indian variant though this has still be confirmed through genomic sequencing.

"What we know is that it's not the Kent variant, so the assumption is it's the Indian variant but we haven't got the sequencing yet so we can't be sure," she said.

Nicola Sturgeon announced on Tuesday that all mainland council areas would move to level two next week, with the exception of Moray where a final decision on whether it should remain in level three is to be made on Friday.

Level two rules mean people can meet up inside homes, pubs and restaurants can sell alcohol indoors and venues such as cinemas can reopen.

The previous major relaxation of Covid restrictions was on 26 April when non-essential shops and hospitality businesses reopened.

The impact of the easing of restrictions tends to show up in the figures about a fortnight later because of the incubation period of Covid-19 which is five to six days on average but can be as long as 14.

Clackmannanshire has also seen rising Covid rates recently, currently just below the 50 case threshold, with provisional data from PHS indicating the figure will rise further in the coming days.

Midlothian, currently with 36 cases per 100,000, is another local authority area where case rates appear to be on the rise.

Amazing how there is concerns about Glasgow now and Leitch is saying people thinking about gathering or parading or march shouldn't as Glasgow is fragile. The mud slinging begins.

Jason Leitch is a fud but he's not mentioned Rangers there?

No but he says this directly -

The doesn't mean I'm complacent," he said. "In fact I want to encourage people to follow the rules tonight, tonight over the weekend, into Monday and then the new rules on Monday.

"And any suggestion that people should gather in groups, or march or parade or anything that breaks rules - please don't do that because Glasgow is at a fragile moment."

Quite clear he is meaning us.

giphy.gif

The doesn't mean I'm complacent," he said. "In fact I want to encourage people to follow the rules tonight, tonight over the weekend, into Monday and then the new rules on Monday.

It's his job to say that though. I have genuine hatred for the guy but it's being made out that he's saying we've caused this when it's nothing of the sort

They've pretty much put it down to families refusing to stop mixing. Almost hinting at the foreign influx of people who just simply refused to do the social distancing and taking vaccine. From around the Southside area I believe.

Leitch hasn't actually blamed Rangers fans but it won't be long. Humza will be all over it soon as well.

Rules are I can meet with up to 15 people outdoors for exercise.

No travel restrictions.

So as I will be dancing and jumping about then that is classed as exercise with my 15 mates.

If 1000 other groups of 15 decide to do the same then that's not my problem.

No rules broken so get it up yeeez.

It's his job to say that though. I have genuine hatred for the guy but it's being made out that he's saying we've caused this when it's nothing of the sort

No but the narrative is being set up on the BBC. Glasgow is fragile. Don't gather in groups, don't parade. Club being told to send a message etc.

Next week... Glasgow is back to level 3 and the finger will be pointed at us.

Special Covid briefing will probably be set up for Monday, they will not miss a chance to put the boot in.

We'll always get the blame, so it doesn't matter what we do, let them see the Union Jacks flying on Saturday, they knew it was coming, %^*& them.

It doesn't but the part about parading and gathering on groups is clearly referencing us.
I don't think it is.

We will no doubt be slated but I don't think what he's said tonight is aimed at us.

More to do with ethnic minorities in the areas with the spikes.

No he's not.

Well this big bad Rangers fan is going to my dad's on Saturday to watch the Rangers game with him.
It's the first time I have visited him for over a year.
Do you think we will / should be be raided by the riot police?

Every single extra word they dedicate to trying to stop us makes me more and more determined to go

What they think they are achieving is beyond me
They want us to turn up. A week's worth of easy headlines after they manipulate the figures to blame us for something that won't happen

No he's not.

OK mate, believe that if you want.

Yousaf has tweeted saying we should not gather or march. The police have said we should not gather or march. Now leitch is saying no one should gather or march in Glasgow this weekend but he's not talking about us...

The whole Glasgow is fragile rhetoric will be thrown in our faces and we will be blamed for a covid increase just as we were in March with 2 polis testing positive and the schools going back but the media report 'not all people who were at george Square were being honest' etc.

Translates as:

“Rangers fans, don’t bother gathering. If you do, we will blame you for this sudden rise in cases, just cos.”

Of course he didn’t mention rangers by name, but let’s not be silly about it. We know who he means, we know who he’s been told to mean and we know why this line is being used prior to this weekend.

We shall see if Sunday’s Plastecine protest garners the same amount of coverage/scaremongering/general hatred aimed towards it.

Did anyone ask him about recent Palestine or Independence marches?
Pretty obvious that a narrative is being set, not just by the BBC.
It’s up to the individual to take responsibility for themselves on Saturday, social distance, wear masks, whatever, stay safe Bears.
The story is already written so other than turning Saturday into another “you’ve been tangoed” moment for the see you next Tuesdays, it will be big bad Rangers all over again.

It’s the insidious drip in preparation for the full on assault on us after saturdays celebrations . Watch this space
Fully expect this. They are as well writing their articles and statements of condemnation now cause as sure as night follows day they'll be pointing a finger at us on Sunday/Monday

Glasgow, however, has also seen a steady rise, and is now above 50 cases per 100,000 population - one of the benchmarks for deciding if level two or level three restrictions are appropriate. Other factors taken into account include the ability of the local NHS to cope.

Scotland's clinical director, Prof Jason Leitch, told BBC Scotland's The Seven that the case rate in Glasgow has been rising for the last five or six days.

Why is nippy announcing the lifting then? They cant have it both ways.

OK mate, believe that if you want.

Yousaf has tweeted saying we should not gather or march. The police have said we should not gather or march. Now leitch is saying no one should gather or march in Glasgow this weekend but he's not talking about us...

The whole Glasgow is fragile rhetoric will be thrown in our faces and we will be blamed for a covid increase just as we were in March with 2 polis testing positive and the schools going back but the media report 'not all people who were at george Square were being honest' etc.
Sorry, but it isn't all about us all of the time and we as a collective support need to stop reading between the lines of anything said to try and find the snallest thing to link it back to us.

As others have said it's also Eid at the weekend as well. He was just generally speaking in general as the rules change and only natural a percentage will relax what they do 1-2 days prior the rules changing.

I don’t understand why would a scientist without evidence guess it was an Indian variant without something to suggest it . What is that detail ? And why with a complete unknown would you slacken the lockdow

Also re this ‘fragile state’ if that is correct Why would you extend the release of lockdown that description does not suggest to me a situation that would say it’s time to open more services .

the substance of this looks extremely dicey

aside : latest study says Pfizer/moderna RNA vaccines neutralise Indian variant and they expect the vector based vaccines do too so AZ does too theoretically .

Last edited:
All the vulnerable have been vaccinated , mostly twice.

They are itching to turn it into a casedemic, that much is clear.

Sorry, but it isn't all about us all of the time and we as a collective support need to stop reading between the lines of anything said to try and find the snallest thing to link it back to us.

As others have said it's also Eid at the weekend as well. He was just generally speaking in general as the rules change and only natural a percentage will relax what they do 1-2 days prior the rules changing.

OK mate, we disagree then. I, and many others on this thread, see this as being a message to our fans. If you don't then fair enough but we will have the only parade and gathering that numbers thousands at the weekend.

It's almost like cases increase in cities once people are allowed back to work and inside pubs/restaurants/shops. If I was the government I'd be more concerned with the fact that the ages allowed to get the vaccines is still only at the youngest 40's/50's after such a good start.

If Glasgow is fragile, why is Sturgeon implying further relaxation of the COVID restrictions. Bit counter intuitive is it not. Maybe she misremembered the scientists advice.

OK mate, we disagree then. I, and many others on this thread, see this as being a message to our fans. If you don't then fair enough but we will have the only parade and gathering that numbers thousands at the weekend.
In the past they haven't been shy of directly naming us. If it was genuinely about us he would have directly said.

Only person that's actually said anything directly is that lady's front bottom Humza.

Cases
Cases
Cases
Cases
Cases

Sick and tired of hearing about fucking cases. We have vaccines, the vast majority of vulnerable people have had them, those that don’t as of yet are much lower down the relative risk scale for potentially needing serious treatment.

Just %^*& off and let people live their lives without the incessant micromanagement by a bunch of power hungry arseholes clinging on for dear life to their 5 minutes of fame before they disappear back into the obscurity they came from.

Well this big bad Rangers fan is going to my dad's on Saturday to watch the Rangers game with him.
It's the first time I have visited him for over a year.
Do you think we will / should be be raided by the riot police?
Enjoy your time with your Da @calderbear You have abided by the rules, have a great time on Saturday.... your post struck a chord with me, as mine is no longer around.... nothing sentimental as such, as we used to disagree like f*ck :)) ... it`s just I don`t have the chance to see my Da any longer to put things to rights... missed him for a moment there.

Back