Big next half of Season

Followbear93

I really hope the board know and feel the same way as us supporters feel with this season. It’s a must win, always is but for obvious reasons, winners of the league get the all important league win but automatic champions league and Money.

I think the Patterson money should be spent and reinvested into the squad to make sure we do that. Without Jack. Aribo, Morelos. Davis, and Roofe I’m some games I think we need 2/3 players in to make sure we see this over the line because it’s not as easy as people may think.

I watch them and they attack all game and yes they may be suspect at the back but I feel we just need a few in to see it over the line and with the press conferences from Gio - I get the feeling he’s been told he will need to work with what he’s got. Hopefully wrong but we will see.

12–16 Million for Patterson would make me get Souttar in early, another RW, CM and ST as Defoe is away and also Morelos, please board do what you can cause this is one of the most important seasons in our history and after all we got the coefficient up by winning in Europe so that’s our Champions League automatic spot.

56 please WATP

Celt!c are more than there for the taking. We showed it, teams in Europe showed it.

The problem is Rangers are making hard work of it and the more they do, the more they likely embolden the scumbags.

It can all easily be undone with a strong performance and a win over them, that would I feel essentially kill the challenge for this year such would be the impact of the result.

We have the better players and Coach, lets show it when it counts.

We need at least 1 starter that can go straight into the 11, preferably a right winger.

But there's no chance we're gettting "Souttar in early, another RW, CM and ST" as you're suggesting.

Celt!c are more than there for the taking. We showed it, teams in Europe showed it.

The problem is Rangers are making hard work of it and the more they do, the more they likely embolden the scumbags.

It can all easily be undone with a strong performance and a win over them, that would I feel essentially kill the challenge for this year such would be the impact of the result.

I think they were there for the taking first half of season. How they are now they have got significant reinforcements in remains to be seen but there's no doubt they smell blood a bit and are more than up for it.

It's up to us to match the hunger and underhand tactics they will also no doubt use.

We need at least 1 starter that can go straight into the 11, preferably a right winger.

But there's no chance we're gettting "Souttar in early, another RW, CM and ST" as you're suggesting.
Having simmered from last week and watched Friday I would say we are in a very difficult position right now.

We have potentially a midfield choice of

Davis -Kamara - Jack - Aribo - Lundstrum- bacuna - Sands when all fit

If we bring someone in now then we are overwhelmed however they never all fit so it’s a gamble for the next 4 months and personally Sands is the midfielder who has been brought in.

IMO we need a RW and a RB as priority now, the RW needs to be a fairly big outlay or else you gamble and go with Scott Wright

Wish people would stop with this 'they're there for the taking'.

They are not the shit show from last season anymore and have strengthened. We're in a proper title race.

Sure, if we beat them at their place then we will take a massive step to the title, but we're gonna be in for a proper fight.

They are not the shit show from last season anymore and have strengthened. We're in a proper title race.

Sure, if we beat them at their place then we will take a massive step to the title, but we're gonna be in for a proper fight.
We were in a fight last year until February mate IMO!

I think we forget how the last new year game went and to be honest it’s only positive media spin that somehow puts the fear into our support.

They drop players with injury every week, even a circuit break wrongly deployed by the government hasn’t stopped that lol! Yes we will be in a fight and come up against challenges but 1 defeat in 60 games would tell me we are team who are hard to beat and if we go the rest of the season even going to 3 defeats we still win the league

Centre mid is a real problem and has been for years

The almost ever-present pairing of Steven Davis, the Premier League player of the year, and Glen Kamara were a real problem last year? Until he got injured, Ryan Jack was a problem?

It's absolutley a part of the team that will probably a complete overhaul at the end of this season (Davis and Arfield getting older and out of contract, Jack's injuries, Lundstram and Sands not established in team and Aribo entering the "extend him or sell him" summer of his contract.)

But it's just not true to say it's been a problem area for years.

We were in a fight last year until February mate IMO!

I think we forget how the last new year game went and to be honest it’s only positive media spin that somehow puts the fear into our support.

They drop players with injury every week, even a circuit break wrongly deployed by the government hasn’t stopped that lol! Yes we will be in a fight and come up against challenges but 1 defeat in 60 games would tell me we are team who are hard to beat and if we go the rest of the season even going to 3 defeats we still win the league
Not sure why people keep repeating that (it's not the first time I've read this).

When we beat them in January we were 19 points ahead and by the end of the month it was 23 points.

I really hope the board know and feel the same way as us supporters feel with this season. It’s a must win, always is but for obvious reasons, winners of the league get the all important league win but automatic champions league and Money.

I think the Patterson money should be spent and reinvested into the squad to make sure we do that. Without Jack. Aribo, Morelos. Davis, and Roofe I’m some games I think we need 2/3 players in to make sure we see this over the line because it’s not as easy as people may think.

I watch them and they attack all game and yes they may be suspect at the back but I feel we just need a few in to see it over the line and with the press conferences from Gio - I get the feeling he’s been told he will need to work with what he’s got. Hopefully wrong but we will see.

12–16 Million for Patterson would make me get Souttar in early, another RW, CM and ST as Defoe is away and also Morelos, please board do what you can cause this is one of the most important seasons in our history and after all we got the coefficient up by winning in Europe so that’s our Champions League automatic spot.

56 please WATP
Why do you say that you hope the board feel the same way as us supporters ? The board are born and bread Rangers supporters .

Celtic beat Hibs, Rangers draw with Aberdeen and all the talk was about how we're on a downward spiral and Celtic are going to win the treble etc.

Then they go and struggle against Alloa, so what now?

I must be the only person in our support that thinks the squad we have now is more than good enough to win the league this year.

The next round of fixtures before the split will be where the league is won or lost. We have a very favourable set of fixtures and they have a tough set of fixtures. If we can go on a run of 9/10/11 wins in a row then we’ll have it sown up before the split.

The time for reinvesting is the summer. We have 5/6 options who can play wide right as it is at the moment, we shouldn’t be singing another unless we can offload one of them.

I must be the only person in our support that thinks the squad we have now is more than good enough to win the league this year.

The next round of fixtures before the split will be where the league is won or lost. We have a very favourable set of fixtures and they have a tough set of fixtures. If we can go on a run of 9/10/11 wins in a row then we’ll have it sown up before the split.

The time for reinvesting is the summer. We have 5/6 options who can play wide right as it is at the moment, we shouldn’t be singing another unless we can offload one of them.
Doesn’t matter what you or I think.
The club should be looking to improve our squad every window.
There are areas that could easily be improved.
We should always be looking at improving our weakest area(s).

Doesn’t matter what you or I think.
The club should be looking to improve our squad every window.
There are areas that could easily be improved.
We should always be looking at improving our weakest area(s).

I’m sorry mate but I think that’s just nonsense.

If areas could be “easily” improved it makes it sound like there are obvious weak areas of our squad which just isn’t true.

The main position that people want us to improve is RW but I’d rather see us try and develop the players we currently have at that position rather than sign someone for the sake of it.

Correct.

Pay attention to the above post.

I’m sorry mate but I think that’s just nonsense.

If areas could be “easily” improved it makes it sound like there are obvious weak areas of our squad which just isn’t true.

The main position that people want us to improve is RW but I’d rather see us try and develop the players we currently have at that position rather than sign someone for the sake of it.
You’re right RW is the weakest area we have just now.
I think that’s three different players who’ve played there this season, none overly successful.
We need to look at other options.

We are not even standing still. Lost our top prospect and brought in nobody of note thus far.

If we don't address that central midfield area we are going to have to depend heavily on lady luck with suspension and injuries - even then it might not be enough to see us over the line.

We are not even standing still. Lost our top prospect and brought in nobody of note thus far.

If we don't address that central midfield area we are going to have to depend heavily on lady luck with suspension and injuries - even then it might not be enough to see us over the line.

We literally signed a central midfielder a couple of weeks ago.

We have Davis, Jack, Arfield, Hagi, Aribo, Sands, Lundstram, Kamara, Bacuna and possibly Lowry and Ofoborh. How many more central midfielders do we need?

Help me understand this one.
Centre midfield is the area Steven Davis and/or Glen Kamara play?
Add in Arfield and Jack?
Thats been a problem?

I am pretty sure he is talking about an attacking threat from midfield. Those players have given us a grip of games but often against teams sitting in that midfield hasn't provided the goals or assists that our possession deserves.

Also add in the fact that both our full backs are now being deployed more as regular full backs the midfield has to be a lot more attack minded than previously.

I think it's good enough too, but a couple of injuries to key players could change things.

If Tav gets injured for a few months, are you trusting Balogun to stay fit enough to perform week in, week out at right back? Are you trusting his, or Sands' attacking output from that position against teams sitting in - I'm not.

A Goldson injury at centre back, coupled with Balogun & Helander unable to play every week, could see a centre back combo of Bassey & Simpson.

A Barisic injury would see Bassey moving across there and potentially leaving us lacking at centre back.

Kamara & Morelos are the only players in their positions who have been consistent across the season.

An injury to any of those 5 players and our overall team becomes a lot weaker IMO.

We literally signed a central midfielder a couple of weeks ago.

We have Davis, Jack, Arfield, Hagi, Aribo, Sands, Lundstram, Kamara, Bacuna and possibly Lowry and Ofoborh. How many more central midfielders do we need?

We signed a young defensive squad player on loan (unless I am missing something) we probably aren't expecting massive things from Sands because if that is the level we are looking at then we are in trouble.

Whatever happened to the quality over quantity that we were supposed to be following?

I think it's good enough too, but a couple of injuries to key players could change things.

If Tav gets injured for a few months, are you trusting Balogun to stay fit enough to perform week in, week out at right back? Are you trusting his, or Sands' attacking output from that position against teams sitting in - I'm not.

A Goldson injury at centre back, coupled with Balogun & Helander unable to play every week, could see a centre back combo of Bassey & Simpson.

A Barisic injury would see Bassey moving across there and potentially leaving us lacking at centre back.

Kamara & Morelos are the only players in their positions who have been consistent across the season.

An injury to any of those 5 players and our overall team becomes a lot weaker IMO.

I understand your argument but it’s always going to be the case that if we lose key players then we’re going to struggle to replace them.

We aren’t going to be able to get someone who does what Tav does for us and is willing to sit on the bench for the majority of the season.

Should we have 6 centre halves in the squad just incase 3 of them get injured?

We have 4/5/6 key players and if we are to lose a couple of them then we’re going to struggle. We can’t expect the club to go out and buy players who are at the same level as Tav, Aribo, Morelos etc to sit on the bench just incase the others get injured.

We signed a young defensive squad player on loan (unless I am missing something) we probably aren't expecting massive things from Sands because if that is the level we are looking at then we are in trouble.

Whatever happened to the quality over quantity that we were supposed to be following?

We’re in trouble if we sign a 22 year old international midfielder? Are you writing him off already?

We have a squad full of quality players which the board have went over and above (financially) to assemble.

We’re in trouble if we sign a 22 year old international midfielder? Are you writing him off already?

We have a squad full of quality players which the board have went over and above (financially) to assemble.

I am writing nobody of - but he is yet again another defensive midfielder that we already have an abundance of and likely signed due to his versatility.

We don't need that type of player unless they are outstanding and better than what we have already.

56 please WATP
Im pretty sure they know this

I am writing nobody of - but he is yet again another defensive midfielder that we already have an abundance of and likely signed due to his versatility.

We don't need that type of player unless they are outstanding and better than what we have already.

Or maybe he was signed with a long term view in mind.

It’s possible that we could lose Aribo, Kamara, Davis, Arfield and Lundstram in the summer so he might be being brought in now to help him settle and hit the ground running next season.

I am pretty sure he is talking about an attacking threat from midfield. Those players have given us a grip of games but often against teams sitting in that midfield hasn't provided the goals or assists that our possession deserves.

Also add in the fact that both our full backs are now being deployed more as regular full backs the midfield has to be a lot more attack minded than previously.
I get your second point.
Its just that the poster suggests there’s been a problem for a while and hot just since GvB took over.

I get your second point.
Its just that the poster suggests there’s been a problem for a while and hot just since GvB took over.

Our midfield has been much more dynamic since Gio took over and has contributed with lots of goals. It’s just unfortunate that the two (Aribo and Arfield) that Gio likes to play ahead of the holder (Kamara) are unavailable at the moment.

Big question, even bigger answer.
Short answer, to be as effective and as much a threat as our left side.

So if a RW had the same numbers as Kent you’d be happy with that?

I think we sometimes need to remember that we do have someone on our right hand side who’s just as effective and as much of a threat as Kent, he just doesn’t play RW.

Our midfield has been much more dynamic since Gio took over and has contributed with lots of goals. It’s just unfortunate that the two (Aribo and Arfield) that Gio likes to play ahead of the holder (Kamara) are unavailable at the moment.
Totally agree.
You should have replied this to the guy who says our centre midfield has been a problem for years.

So if a RW had the same numbers as Kent you’d be happy with that?

I think we sometimes need to remember that we do have someone on our right hand side who’s just as effective and as much of a threat as Kent, he just doesn’t play RW.
I don’t always play the numbers game, bud.
I‘ve yet to see the number that describes how much a player occupies a defence, leaving space for others to exploit, taking up tactical thought that helps other players win their own battles.
For example, if an opposition coach utilises a particular tactic, an extra man to combat a Kent, he may be weakening another area of the team.

I still don’t see the scum as being massively improved. I think they had a meltdown under Lennon and everyone chucked it but their actual team man for man last year was probably better, a better manager would’ve gave us a harder challenge.

They’ve already dropped 15 points, and should’ve been a lot more if not for dodgy referee decisions ( 8 minutes added on goal for Ross county, offside winner against Hearts, no stonewall penalty for Livi ).

They’re going to be missing half the team against Hearts. If they lose that and we beat them, they’re a lot closer to a fight for 2nd than they are a fight for 1st. We just need to focus on ourselves, win our games, no silly mistakes and we will be fine.

Last edited:

Your points are all hypothetical though and unlikely we’re going to suffer that many injuries. If we did we deal with it like any other club has to. We have depth across the squad suffice to juggle things when we need to. One draw and the support goes into panic mode, baffles me.

I think you’re doing them a disservice. We do have better players and coach than them. However as much as they’re supposedly shaky at the back, they’ve conceded less than us. Talk of them being ruined in Europe? They got more points that us in a harder group. And as hard as it is to acknowledge, after their crap start in August, they also have more points than us in the league since then.

We should probably start taking them a bit more seriously, otherwise this will continue to creep up on us.

I agree to an extent, but Celtic thought the same in the last couple of seasons and it was their complacency and standing still that allowed us to catch them and surpass them.

We've not really made any signings in the last few windows now.

Back