Biggest flops on the journey to 55?

Alves and Barton showed up expecting an easy ride......

I think Barton had the fight in him but Warburton didn’t

The fact Murty and Jimmy Nic didn’t start BA tells you everything about his attitude

Every single one played a part in this story. A butterfly effect.

Commented on a Tim's FB the other day who shared the video of SG slipping against Chelsea. All part of the story. If that hadn't happened Celtic may have got 10IAR. If the 5-0/1's didn't happen we might have gone in a different direction. If Pedro wasn't in a bush... etc etc. In the end we're the ones with the big silver thing when it mattered most.
Another part of the story is Shagger's penalty save from Sanaras in 2011. Had that gone in "the 10" might well have been done already. Well 9.75 anyway.

Alves was disappointing.

Had a good pedigree and gave that interview when he signed about being a man and how he was tough, how his Dad was a 'dangerous' defender - few months in he was complaining about the roughness of Scotland. From a guy who nearly decapitated Harry Kane.
He is 39 now and still playing for Parma. Poor man's Davie Weir!

This would be a lot quicker if we reversed it and named the true success stories. Pretty much all of what we watched up to Waburton’s arrival was a bit depressing.

Splashing 500k on MOH was criminal from
Warburton.

This would get my vote though. The cost, the poor return, the fact he’s a rabid mentally challenged who mixed with their fans while he was still contracted to us. Just a horrible signing where a scum fan got rich and we got nothing.

For me it has to be Black and Simmonsen. My least favourite players! I don’t believe McCoist signed a single player since Bocanegra that was actually any good!

Grezda and Worrall are the only blots on Gerrards record. Warburton signed lots of okay players and that was the problem, they were just “okay”. Pedro was hit and miss with his signings, everyone remembers he signed Pena and Herrara but we also forget he signed Alfie and Jack!

Worst part of this for me was McCoists reign. As a legend he was given far too much time when it was clear he was not manager material. The damage this has done probably added 2-3 years to the “journey”. I guess the fact he’s still a legend we all love even after that shows how much better are fans are than that mob!

Who knows how things may have gone but there's always the possibility that with better recruitment, we may have got back to the top sooner. Hated the recruitment policy under Ally. Wanted us to build a young squad that which would work its way through the leagues (probably naive thinking on my part). Certainly didn't think we'd squander crazy amounts on over paid journey men.

That said, I didn't have much disdain for most players who participated in the journey. The way I see it, whether you're good enough or not, if you're given the chance to sign for Rangers, you take it.

Of those that I do remember less fondly, Alves is the one who stand out as being the most disappointing. I (like many) had a bad feeling about Barton but I thought Alves was a great addition to the squad. Sadly, he simply didn't have the fight required... highlighted by pussying out of a header in the OF game. He went in half-assed and got flattened. He's a great player whose had an amazing career but was not right for this league.

All the bit part players in the lower divisions are exempt in my opinion, it’s the ones we signed after returning to the top flight that the majority of any criticism going should be reserved for, and even then . . .

Peña and Garner were horrific wastes of scant resources, Alves was a huge disappointment, Barton a predictable disaster, but for every one of those there was a Tav or a Foderingham, a Waghorn or a Windass, Andy Halliday giving it his all for the club he loved, Kenny Miller trying (not entirely successfully) to maintain a semblance of our previous standards and respect, so at a time like this, on the cusp of genuine life affirming greatness, it doesn’t really do us any favours to dwell on the failures.

The page is going mad.

Some blowing smoke up many imposters bahookies and others wanting to discuss them.

Enjoy our current team and manager and what they are delivering.

There are plenty from the bottom league onwards that were crap and no fit to wear the shirt but we have moved on.

Thankfully.

We owe quite a number zero thanks.

Inspired by the.excellent "Players worth a special mention" thread yesterday, I thought I'd reverse that and ask who we think the biggest flops have been on the path back to the top? Players who looked like they could make a difference on paper but contributed the sum total of hee-haw? I generally don't like slagging off players too much but its just a bit of fun and you can't really escape the fact we've had some absolute numpties pulling on our famous jersey over the past decade.

I don't think it's fair to count some of the players at div 3 / early recovery stages level cos they were genuinely limited footballers who we had no choice but to give them a game. So no Faure, Agyriou etc for me... but you might think different.

Here's a few to start off:

Pena & Herrera - The obvious 2. Genius level thinking here - let's sign 2 random Mexicans for a combined 5 mil who've never played in Europe. One a big immobile striker who'd scored about 10 goals his entire career and the other with some talent but a raging alky. Couldn't make it up...

Joey Barton - Mouthed off a bit before arrival, underestimated the league, turned up unfit and lasted about 3 months before he fell out with a manager who was never going to be able to handle him anyways. Some of us suspected it might end bad...and it did.

Eros Grezda - The one significant blot on Gerrsards otherwise impeccable recruitment record. Stinking attitude and limited ability do not a Rangers player make.

Kris Boyd - tin hat on here cos obviously love Boydy the pundit these days and can't fault his first spell with us...but he was a shadow of the player he was (and went on to be again at Killie after us, bizarrely) during that season in the championship. Fair to say he wasn't in good shape, scored 3 league goals all season when a finisher of his natural ability should have been ripping it up in that league.

Any more for any more?
We shudnt be goin down this road every player who pulled on that blue jersey did his part for 55 many played a big part sum played a small part but they all played there no matter how well they played or not ⚪

I hold no ill feeling towards anyone, player or coach/manager who came to the club during our journey back from the doldrums. Each of them deserve our respect at the very least. Not to be labelled as a flop by our own support. We were severely limited by the financial constraints enforced upon us by the variety of conmen and shysters who gained control of our beloved club. The quality of our signings was always going to be reflected by our financial position. So let's cut these guys a bit of slack. They were guilty of nothing more than taking an opportunity to play for our wonderful club. An opportunity we would all have taken. Love them or loathe them they have all played a part in our club's history. WATP

Inspired by the.excellent "Players worth a special mention" thread yesterday, I thought I'd reverse that and ask who we think the biggest flops have been on the path back to the top? Players who looked like they could make a difference on paper but contributed the sum total of hee-haw? I generally don't like slagging off players too much but its just a bit of fun and you can't really escape the fact we've had some absolute numpties pulling on our famous jersey over the past decade.

I don't think it's fair to count some of the players at div 3 / early recovery stages level cos they were genuinely limited footballers who we had no choice but to give them a game. So no Faure, Agyriou etc for me... but you might think different.

Here's a few to start off:

Pena & Herrera - The obvious 2. Genius level thinking here - let's sign 2 random Mexicans for a combined 5 mil who've never played in Europe. One a big immobile striker who'd scored about 10 goals his entire career and the other with some talent but a raging alky. Couldn't make it up...

Joey Barton - Mouthed off a bit before arrival, underestimated the league, turned up unfit and lasted about 3 months before he fell out with a manager who was never going to be able to handle him anyways. Some of us suspected it might end bad...and it did.

Eros Grezda - The one significant blot on Gerrsards otherwise impeccable recruitment record. Stinking attitude and limited ability do not a Rangers player make.

Kris Boyd - tin hat on here cos obviously love Boydy the pundit these days and can't fault his first spell with us...but he was a shadow of the player he was (and went on to be again at Killie after us, bizarrely) during that season in the championship. Fair to say he wasn't in good shape, scored 3 league goals all season when a finisher of his natural ability should have been ripping it up in that league.

Any more for any more?

Are you doing research for a future Sun or Daily Record article?

We're about to win our first title in ages and you want to slag off "Rangers Flops"?

Thread should be binned.

It doesn't matter if they flopped this was an unprecedented situation and all players should be mentioned on a plaque who started that journey back to full health with those who cross the finish line title 55 collectively as a team making the hall of fame under special condition due to the circumstances we found our self in!

In terms of outlay in wages and transfer fee compared to his contribution it has to be Pena.

Barton, without a doubt. Partly because of the season he had, prior to us signing him. Pretty sure he won player of the year in the English Championship before he moved to us. Massively underperformed up here.

Could some countless players from title winning teams that were a waste of wages and money. It is what it is

I think there are almost too many players to mention, and there's nothing I can say about the likes of Warburton, Pedro, Murty that hasn't already been covered.

So instead of an individual as such, I'll pick out the SC final in 2016. Losing that game cost us much more than we realised IMO and left the club and support with deep scars that took a long time to heal. It hamstrung us psychologically.

Are you doing research for a future Sun or Daily Record article?

We're about to win our first title in ages and you want to slag off "Rangers Flops"?

Thread should be binned.

Ffs...aye mate, you've rumbled me. I'm clearly an undercover tim Daily Record reporter, been biding my time on here for years only to out myself on the eve of 55.

Look, some people appear to really be taking offence at this thread. Fair enough and with hindsight, it is a shiit thread title. Thought that we could maybe look back at the bits of the road back to the top that didn't work out so well and like it or not, we had some poor signings along the way - was simply interested in who people thought was the biggest disappointment. And some have been alright with debating that but maybe it was too negative or poor timing given all the rightful positivity around the club just now.

For me, none of this diminishes in any way from the tremendous achievements of the management team or squad this season. I actually appreciate the view from some posters that everyone played a part in some way and quite like the "butterfly effect" theory from an earlier post on here - hadn't considered that. Leave the past well alone I suppose.

But aye, admin can bin if they want. It would appear I've had a bit of a 'mare...

After reading this thread it feels like I have awoke from a dreadful nightmare, that has lasted all those years, and then I remember the time and day we are in and the piece and calm is restored to my fevered brow, I along with the rest of our support went to Ibrox more in hope than anything else, but we are now top of the tree, we can breath a lot more easy.
Dalcio, a benfica loanee no less. Sure that I saw a highlight real of him that made him look half decent. Christ, Eduardo Herrera had a highlight reel that made him look like the Mexican McCoist.

Who remembers Francesco Stella? Now that was an absolute head scratcher.

Back