Bill Shankly's Rangers connection.

Shankly allegedly wanted to play for Rangers during the war but ended up playing for Partick Thistle. His relative (brother I think) managed Stirling Albion who play at Annfield.
Sure he played for East Fife for a short spell and back in the day Rangers had a lot of dealings with the Black and gold back then was Scott Symon not manager at methil

Nothing to do with the question but continuing the Ayrshire theme, a few years back the wife and I were on the Glasgow Central tour.

The tour guide, clearly an SNP and green and grey Supporter, was waxing lyrical in the bowels of the station -
“ The Station was built using steel made by Irish immigrants in the Parkhead forge” he told us.

“ Is that right”, says I , “ See those big girders up there stamped “Glengarnock steel works…..”

He didn’t look my way for the rest of the tour.
Remember reading on here that guy was a bitter mentally challenged Nat

When shankly signed willie(billy) Stevenson, it was reported that shankly said if rangers have any more player like him to send them down

Should put this in Robert Marshall's thread about areas with this greatest amount of professional players.

I recall nearly 20 plus years ago working in Compaq ,Erskine.Got talking to elder gentleman who was designated to my cell.Talk came round to football and the words he said was .Shankly wanted to manage us because we were a sleeping giant.Never dismissed him as he had been to Liverpool many times and for many years.

That's a new one on me. But that's a find.

The 1920's I assume?
Yes, that's right. Jimmy Smith's obituary was published in the Herald on 6th December 2003. It stated Jimmy was briefly a team mate of Matt Busby's at Denny Hibs as a 14 year old, before being sold to a team called Longriggend. Following a failed trial at Middlesbrough he joined East Stirlingshire before his move to Ibrox. Seem to remember an interview with Jimmy in the matchday programme sometime in the 90s/early 2000s when he referred to the Denny Hibs and Matt Busby connection, I think he was the oldest surviving former Rangers player at the time.

Sometimes just sometimes this place is great for wee nuggets of information and education.
For some reason I always had it in my head that Shankley had leanings towards that mob.
I’m not even sure why.

He played for Cronberry Eglinton but the best name team was Rankinston Mountaineers imo
My dad played with an old Ayrshire team named Vale of Dusk. Thought that was a great name and very poetic, like something Bob Dylan would come out with.

In the authorised biography there is a story about Liverpool in New York in the early 60's. Shankly was asked by Bob Paisley if he fancied adjourning to the bar. Shankly said "At this time of night?". When Paisley pointed out that due to the time difference it was five hours earlier than Shankly thought. Bill simply said "No Yank's going to tell me what time it is" and went to bed.

Shankly allegedly wanted to play for Rangers during the war but ended up playing for Partick Thistle. His relative (brother I think) managed Stirling Albion who play at Annfield.
There was a quiz question in a pub quiz I did one night which said name the other British football team managed by a Mr Shankly whose home ground was called Annfield. (The question was read out so you could not see the spelling of the ground name)
I knew the answer but it flummoxed most teams.
The venue for the quiz was not in Scotland!

Yes, that's right. Jimmy Smith's obituary was published in the Herald on 6th December 2003. It stated Jimmy was briefly a team mate of Matt Busby's at Denny Hibs as a 14 year old, before being sold to a team called Longriggend. Following a failed trial at Middlesbrough he joined East Stirlingshire before his move to Ibrox. Seem to remember an interview with Jimmy in the matchday programme sometime in the 90s/early 2000s when he referred to the Denny Hibs and Matt Busby connection, I think he was the oldest surviving former Rangers player at the time.
Matt Busby also played with Liverpool before going on to be one of Manchester Utds greatest managers.

Back