Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland (Rangers related)

I always enjoyed watching Billy Connolly and always thought that he was pretty fair when it came to religion and football.

That’s your first mistake. I’ve never been interested in any of Billy’s material. I’ve always suspected he had intense anger and hatred of us bubbling under the surface.

Even the seemingly ‘nice’ ones are still completely deluded and unreasonable.

I wonder what Billy’s opinion is on the hanging effigies and kill all huns banner?

Oh that’s right, he ignores it and peddles the Rangers evil celtic good myth.

Old bills coming towards his end, so hedging his bets and returning to the dark side.
Funny guy in his time but he's lost respect for this complete u turn to his previous thoughts on religion and in particular the RC paedophile cult.

His wife wrote his auto biography years ago and she mentioned the Brisbane gig. She said she was freaked out by the abuse but Billy just brushed it off. I can’t remember her saying the concert was stopped.

The book focussed more on the abuse from his family and his dislike for nuns and the RC religion

He makes a joke; 'Is it okay if I'm a Protestant?' in the crucifixion.

I personally think he is/was a comic genius, whose observations on life and the absurd, very well may never be matched.

But he's deluded when it comes to sectarianism in this country and what constitutes right and wrong. Of course I never had the education he had.
He'll be well fu@ked soon as I heard Saint Peter is in the masonic.:))

I must admit i am struggling to believe he said all this, I have met the guy before and he was brilliant, a real gent. Listening to him in the past he has never been bitter.
I am thinking this is a ghost writer ramping up stuff to get people talking , and it has worked.

The style of the book doesn't suggest that an actual 'writer' wrote it. It's written in a style that you and I would probably write a book in, but maybe that was the intent.

With each post made that uses the systematic abuse of children at Celtic as a platform for a quick dig we lose credibility as a fanbase to demand justice for the victims.

Sometimes a little humour needs to be found in the darkest of corners.

Until that disgusting club come out and own up to their crimes, I think I'm completely within my rights to have a dig at them. Incidentally, that's the party line that they bring out!

The custodians of Celtic FC needed to create a scenario about the club and its Irish Catholic heritage that would soft-peddle the latter in order to make it more palatable to the larger community. The most frequently used ploy - the one repeated by Connoly - is that unlike Rangers, Celtic never discriminated in their selection of players, they 'were open to all' as we were frequently told.

Whilst this was superficially true, it was due more to the fact that at the time of their founding - and through much of the 20th C - the percentage of home grown players of Irish Catholic heritage ib Scotland was relatively small, therefore making it difficult numerically to field a team drawn solely from this demographic that would be able challenge consistently for trophies. Consequently, the Cetlic hierarchy made the pragmatic decision to sign Prods in order to be competitive. It was this, rather than some noble ecumenical desire for 'openness' and 'inclusivity' that determined their actions - both in 1887 and today.

I always enjoyed watching Billy Connolly and always thought that he was pretty fair when it came to religion and football.

However, I've been reading his book 'Made in Scotland', which is linked to the TV show, and some of the guff about anti Catholicism and big bad bigoted Rangers, is appalling. Here's some quotes from the book.

"It was only as I got older, and could start to think for myself, that I realised the depth of the discrimination that was all around me". (talking about the shipyards)

"There was this phrase that I would hear all the time, that people would tell us to our faces: 'This is a protestant country'. It angered me. It was the same rejection that my parents' generation had felt".

"On the first night of my first Australian tour, in Brisbane in 1976, a bunch of Scottish religious nuts in the audience yelled anti-catholic abuse at me and sang Rangers songs. It was so bad that I had to stop the show".

"I have known people all through my life who went to Rangers matches and yelled abuse at the opposition all through the game; 'You fucking Catholic bastards! You 19th Century Terrorist Wankers".

"The sectarian prejudice always seemed stronger with Rangers than Celtic to me. Celtic has never been an anti-protestant club. Rangers, however, always were a 100% protestant club. They started as a Presbyterian rowing club and when they became a football club, the Presbyterian thing stuck right up until the 70's"

"Everything has changed nowadays and Rangers have Italian and Spanish player playing for them, who are obviously catholic. Even so, the club still discourages them from making the sign of the cross and blessing themselves".

"Only last season, Neil Lennon, who used to be the celtic manager and is now the manager of Hibs, ran on the pitch and celebrated when his team scored a fifth goal, making it Hibs 5, Rangers 5. He got punished by the Scottish FA for going over the top, but he explained why he had done it: 'The Rangers supporters were calling me a 19th Century Terrorist bastard all match long!'"

All this is in one chapter. No mention whatsoever of the bile and hatred emanating from his 'wonderful celtic".

He did say "celtic kindly gave me a seat for life a while ago (along with Rod Stewart)". This obviously came with the condition of peddling anti Rangers narrative.

As I said at the start, I used to like Billy and thought he was fairly balanced. After reading this bollocks, I've changed my mind.

Papish bast***.

They're all exactly the same, no matter what their public masquerade is.

Only stealing people’s jokes
Always wondered if I was the only one.
I remember when he first started and realised that everything he done was stolen from comedians in Glasgow who would never work outside of the city, they didn't need to swear to be funny either..

The custodians of Celtic FC needed to create a scenario about the club and its Irish Catholic heritage that would soft-peddle the latter in order to make it more palatable to the larger community. The most frequently used ploy - the one repeated by Connoly - is that unlike Rangers, Celtic never discriminated in their selection of players, they 'were open to all' as we were frequently told.

Whilst this was superficially true, it was due more to the fact that at the time of their founding - and through much of the 20th C - the percentage of home grown players of Irish Catholic heritage ib Scotland was relatively small, therefore making it difficult numerically to field a team drawn solely from this demographic that would be able challenge consistently for trophies. Consequently, the Cetlic hierarchy made the pragmatic decision to sign Prods in order to be competitive. It was this, rather than some noble ecumenical desire for 'openness' and 'inclusivity' that determined their actions - both in 1887 and today.

Good post. This point seems to be ignored, for obvious reasons.

"Right", said Stein, "now I'm in charge, listen to what I say.
You really need more Protestants, to help you on your way."

Extract from "Celtic's Kiss of Life". A poem about Celtic reaching the European Cup Final in 1967.

It's bad enough the complete pish he's spouted about our club and supporters, it's further compounded by the fact he doesn't think there's a problem with his beloved yahoos.

Does he sit in his seat next to Rodney Cocknose, with his eyes and ears shut ?

That's the big problem we face. These fuckers lie and spout their own prejudiced views and this becomes fact.

I grew up in Coatbridge and faced discrimination and bigotry way beyond the bullshit Connelly makes up.

But there will never be any mention of that because it doesn't suit Scotlands agenda.

''Even so, the club still discourages them from making the sign of the cross and blessing themselves".
This is simply not true..Young Mepude Blessed himself when he came on at Rugby Park on Sunday..I have saw other players from the team do this as well

I'd actively encourage our players to bless themselves after scoring, let's see who suddenly will have a problem with religion then. Right down the Jon Daly narrative.

Wading through the absolute bollox that is that article, on the subject of Neil Lennon getting called what he was called, if someone refers to me and others as an "orange b@stard" (he was caught on camera doing so back in 2004 at Ibrox) then I don't think they can be afforded much sympathy when people react in kind.

Connolly seems to forget that working in the Shipyards in the sixties was full of sectarianism for example I was the only Protestant apprentice in the joiner shop and the journeymen would not show me how to put a nail into a piece of wood. Works both ways. More importantly there were hundreds of Billy Connolly in the shipyards.Loads of great comedians.

Connolly seems to forget that working in the Shipyards in the sixties was full of sectarianism for example I was the only Protestant apprentice in the joiner shop and the journeymen would not show me how to put a nail into a piece of wood. Works both ways. More importantly there were hundreds of Billy Connolly in the shipyards.Loads of great comedians.
A great deal, if not all, his material was stolen from the guys he worked with, He just told it better than them.

Remember seeing him not long after the pope died and Celtic played hearts the same day,he was on fire that night the best performance I have ever seen from him.
A few sensitive types walked out whilst he was belting out the sash and mimicking the popes robotic dance within the first 5 mins of the show,,I'd love to see a recording of this.

I read it a few months ago and felt he is very out of touch when it comes to Glasgow.

He's a good example of the self perpetuating sectarianism myth where everyone talks about it being a problem, not because they suffer from it or even experience it, but because everyone else is talking about it being a problem.

I've enjoyed Connolly since I first saw him with The Humblebums and doing stints at the Arran Festival himself and even with The Vindscreen Vipers (with the fantastic cartoonist Malky McCormick).
I went to his "big banana boots" shows at Greens Playhouse/Apollo and enjoyed his performances for decades afterwards.
A big part of his humour was his ability to absolutely rip the piss out of organised religion, particularly the RC Church and even though I knew he was a catholic himself and a big sellik supporter I still appreciated his humour.
These comments from his book certainly seem at odds from how I imagined he viewed his life in adulthood.
Of course "sectarianism" was a totally different animal in the sixties and seventies and he's quite right in stating what it was like back then but some of his comments are surprisingly and disappointingly way off the mark.

He had an extremely violent and abusive childhood, an experience little doubt shared by quite a number of his contemporaries. He did very well to escape all of that and find a place in the world where he brought laughter to millions. I wouldn't say a bad word against him, sad to see he's not a well man these days and I suppose some allowances maybe need to be made on his behalf. I wouldnt grudge him t
Connolly is without doubt the best comedian this country has ever produced and was probably in the top five stand up performers in the world.

However his sudden criticism of Rangers and Protestants will be driven by him getting near to the big comedy club in the sky.
He should rein it in then.We have lost some good people from here recently,they may be waiting for him.:cool:

Back