Article Blast From The Past – From Easterhouse to Africa with Bobby Williamson

The broken leg seemed to do for him as he looked a real prospect in 83/84. I remember Jock Wallace comparing him to Willie Thornton in the early part of 85/86 but that run, too, fizzled out.

Came across as having a slight chip on his shoulder about Rangers in later years.

The broken leg seemed to do for him as he looked a real prospect in 83/84. I remember Jock Wallace comparing him to Willie Thornton in the early part of 85/86 but that run, too, fizzled out.

Came across as having a slight chip on his shoulder about Rangers in later years.
That's my recollection of him too.

He denied Super Ally a farewell sub appearance for Killie in the last few minutes of the season at Ibrox. Classless.

Raised the ire of the fans in May 2001 when he didn’t bring Coisty off the bench when we beat Killie 5-1 at Ibrox. Ally was set to hang up the golden boots at the end of that season.

That's my recollection of him too.

He denied Super Ally a farewell sub appearance for Killie in the last few minutes of the season at Ibrox. Classless.
He was there as Kilmarnock manager, not to please the Rangers fans and Ally, while his team were getting pumped 5-1.

He was there as Kilmarnock manager, not to please the Rangers fans and Ally, while his team were getting pumped 5-1.
I believe Ally’s reply was along the lines of ‘it’s not Bobby’s job to please the Rangers fans although he did a pretty good job today.’

Advocaat managed to intercept Ally as he was heading up the tunnel and brought him back out into the centre circle.

He done a really good job with Kilmarnock and has done well in Africa. I thought he was a future Scotland manager at one point. He always came across as miserable and unlikeable though.

He done a really good job with Kilmarnock and has done well in Africa. I thought he was a future Scotland manager at one point. He always came across as miserable and unlikeable though.
He was better than given credit for at the time and when you look at some of the clowns currently employed in the League we could do with a few more like Williamson in posts.

40 Years Ago this month.

Fairly late on as I recall - Jimmy Nic was red-carded.

The last game of Jimmy’s loan spell from Toronto Blizzard. Big Jock made him captain too.

He was also sent off earlier in the season at Easter Road on the day that Nicky Walker made his Rangers debut.

Bobby Williamson was a pretty good manager. Not the most attacking of teams he managed but pretty solid. Always seemed a bit down beat ,people skills not his strongest . He should have allowed Ally on they were well beat by that point.

I’ve spoken to Bobby a few times over the years and I can tell you he’s still a Bluenose at heart. As a previous poster said he always has great stories to tell.

He was certainly a big bluenose in his Clydebank days.
Doesn’t stop him having been a qunt later in life.

Always associate him with the obligatory press picture when a bearded player signed for Rangers, him with his shaving razor out to go clean shaven.

Standards :))

Back