Bluenose Bars in Madrid

Dubliner or Oconnell St are Irish Bars in the European sense where they show all sport and sell Guiness.

Always reminds me of a story of being in Madrid for an OF.

Was wandering around with my Hateley top on looking for somewhere to watch it, saw a place advertising the game, went in and it was a bit celticy.

Was pretty dead, went to the bar, English cnt behind the bar says, the owner will kill me if I serve you wearing that - I laughed as if he was joking. He just stared at me, prick was deadly serious.

So now I'm late for the game and come across an O'Neils, pop my head in the door, lassie behind the bar points downstairs, I rush down the stairs just for celtic to score their third!

It was the 6-2 game in 2000 - I got a bigger cheer than the fkn goal. Cnts.

Watched a couple of games in the Dubliner before, only thing Irish about it was it sold Guinness and had a couple of signs saying Dublin 1000mls that way etc and showed rugby.
No idea what it would be like for an OF though.

You might get it in the James Joyce on Calle de Alcala near the Retiro.

We watched Pedro’s 5-1 catastrophe in the Irish Rover on Avenida de Brasil a couple of blocks from the Santiago Bernabeu if you’re going to be around that area.

Just be wary you might need to reserve a table at James Joyce to be sure of seat. Last time I was across there was a couple of big games on telly (ours and a English PL game on different screens) and place was mobbed, and not letting anyone else in, asking if we had a reservation.

JJoyce is probably best bet though. Theres a couple of Irish pubs near Sol as a back-up too,

Watched a match in the James Joyce. It was good enough and plenty screens iirc. Was a Sunday early ko so place was pretty quiet.

Sounds like the James Joyce is where to be

Irish bars are probably ok on the most part don’t see Madrid being full of their lot
We were in it later to watch Joshua v Klitshko after watching the Old Firm game elsewhere, there was a group of mentally challengeds who had been there all day and one ended up with a sore face. Lots of British guys watching the boxing.

Back