Bomber Brown (the Dundee player)

The morning after we beat Leeds in Leeds, I had an early morning drive down to a company in Sunderland. Whether it was my accent or because I was hoarse from the night before, my contact started to talk about football and asked me who I supported.

I rarely broke cover re football allegiances but I must have been on a high and I told him I was a Rangers supporter. He then asked me if I had heard of a friend of his who had played for us called Harold Davis. Had I heard of Harold Davis said I and from then on, work went right out the nearest window and we proceeded to have a right good talk about Rangers. I cannot remember who he supported but I think it was one of the big London clubs.

Eventually we put our business heads on and work started. As I was leaving the factory to head home that night, he said “Do you know who really impressed me in the Rangers side last night?” I was expecting him to say Andy Goram / Hateley / McCoist but it was John Brown. The Bomber was a favourite of mine at the time after not being so much when he was with Dundee but it brought home to me, if it needed to be, that John Brown was such a vital part of our NIAR side and it took a non Rangers supporter to give even more credence to this view.

Football mag interview with Bomber:
Reporter: "Best goal scored?"
Bomber: "Yet to come, against Celtic".

And his promise was delivered shortly thereafter, complete with a Serie A celebration in front of a delirious Rangers End.

And his greatest victory of course was his stand against the spivs, crooks and montebanks who tried and failed to destroy our club.

The morning after we beat Leeds in Leeds, I had an early morning drive down to a company in Sunderland. Whether it was my accent or because I was hoarse from the night before, my contact started to talk about football and asked me who I supported.

I rarely broke cover re football allegiances but I must have been on a high and I told him I was a Rangers supporter. He then asked me if I had heard of a friend of his who had played for us called Harold Davis. Had I heard of Harold Davis said I and from then on, work went right out the nearest window and we proceeded to have a right good talk about Rangers. I cannot remember who he supported but I think it was one of the big London clubs.

Eventually we put our business heads on and work started. As I was leaving the factory to head home that night, he said “Do you know who really impressed me in the Rangers side last night?” I was expecting him to say Andy Goram / Hateley / McCoist but it was John Brown. The Bomber was a favourite of mine at the time after not being so much when he was with Dundee but it brought home to me, if it needed to be, that John Brown was such a vital part of our NIAR side and it took a non Rangers supporter to give even more credence to this view.
Now THAT'S what I call a cool story!

What I can remember did he put us out of 2 Scottish cups.
Always remember being at Dens in 85 iirc
Bomber scores, guy shouts ya ***, a voice behind says, naw pal he’s one of us.
He played against us in my first ever rangers game . Jim Duffy too . Actually souness absolutely halved Duffy and he was injured that basically finished him

Utter farce that he was never capped
I think I read somewhere that it was a similar situation to Davie Robertson. He was sounded out and told whatever school teacher was in charge at the time he wasn't going along just to make up the numbers.

Was in the Copland when he scored to put us out the Cup and was probably the lowest point for Mr McCoist he missed a couple of sitters including one from what seemed under the bar - the chants of 'Ally Ally get to f@ck' were deafening (not me) I remember thinking how could he get back from this. John Brown I didn't know his background but I really respected him. I would never have believed that those two would be mainstays of us going on to winning 9 INAR

Back