Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Derek Parlane, born May 5th 1953.
Hard to believe he's now 69!

Scorer of 111 goals for Rangers.

3 videos of the great man.

1. A collection of his goals.

2. On his 20th birthday on May 5th 1973, he scored the first Rangers goal in a classic 3-2 win over Celtic in the Scottish Cup final.

3. At just 18, he scored our second goal against German opposition in a European semi final at Ibrox on our way to lifting the trophy.

Happy birthday to the King of Ibrox Park, and I hope May 5th 2022 will be a special day for every Rangers fan.

I listened to an interview with him on H&H last week and he was talking about that night v Bayern and he only found out he was playing an hour and a half before kick off when the team was read out.i always thought he was a striker but he started out at Ibrox as a midfielder.

2. On his 20th birthday on May 5th 1973, he scored the first Rangers goal in a classic 3-2 win over Celtic in the Scottish Cup final.

3. At just 18, he scored our second goal against German opposition in a European semi final at Ibrox on our way to lifting the trophy.

Happy birthday to the King of Ibrox Park, and I hope May 5th 2022 will be a special day for every Rangers fan.
One of my first real heroes when I was just 7. A very brave center forward and a class Ranger. I know it probably won't happen but I'd love to see young Lowry score the goal to take us through tonight just like DP did 50 years ago.

In a way he was really unfortunate that he was competing with DJ as the main striker a lot of the time.i know my rangers supporting mates were constantly debating who was better DJ or Parlane when I was a kid.

He did the Clarkston end of season do a few years ago, his patter was incredible

My hero in my teenage years.

I was at East End park the day he scored 5 goals(yes! 5 goals) in a 6-1 victory in the 74-75 season when we won the league for the first time in ten years.

Great Post on this day.
I remember that game, it was on telly that night but unfortunately never seen it online.

Derek also scored 4 at Tynecastle one day, think we won 4-2?

I remember that game, it was on telly that night but unfortunately never seen it online.

Derek also scored 4 at Tynecastle one day, think we won 4-2?

Yes he did indeed. That was in the previous season to the 5 goals at Dunfermline.

Missed that game as I was playing for my amateur team that day. No goals from me that I remember. :(

He shares a birthday with my late Mum

Quick story

My old neighbour who is a Geordie worked for Reebok, he said casually one day “my boss used to play for Rangers but ive no idea if he was any good”

i asked who it was “Derek Parlane is his name,ever heard of him??”

I laughed at him and told him just how good a player Derek was

A few weeks later i gets a chap at the door and i answer it and there stood Derek with a big smile on his face,we chatted for 5 minutes mostly about how much of an idiot my neighbour was.

Happy Birthday Derek

Big hero of mine in my youth, plus we share the same birthday. Must’ve been a defenders nightmare as he had pace and was a powerful boy. Could do with him tonight in his prime.

My first Rangers hero, his family had a shop at Bonhill Bridge, it was brilliant as a kid when he was in there and wee could see a real live Ranger up close, I was too tongue tied to speak to him though.

One of the first of my Rangers heroes. I remember playing football in the front room and scoring, then running away and shouting “Parlane scores again.”
I was only about 3 or 4.
Happy Birthday Derek.

I was having a kick about with my cousins in rhu next minute derek parlane appears and joins in .same as you tongue tied .my cousins where neighbours of his
Growing up in the village, he was our local hero. Quite often him and his two brothers used to appear when we were having our Sunday afternoon kickabouts. The Parlane family stayed within a McCloy kick away from the amateurs park, they'd hear the noise and pop along!

I was at every one, bar one of these games, and obviously loved Derek's goals!

In 1974, I also saw him score 5 goals at East End Park in a 6-1 Rangers victory (for the benefit of younger Bears, Dunfermline were one of the stronger Scottish sides in the 660's and 70's) where Derek Johnstone scored the other. Great days.

I was at every one, bar one of these games, and obviously loved Derek's goals!

In 1974, I also saw him score 5 goals at East End Park in a 6-1 Rangers victory (for the benefit of younger Bears, Dunfermline were one of the stronger Scottish sides in the 660's and 70's) where Derek Johnstone scored the other. Great days.

That game at East End Park was great. Parlane got 5 & big DJ set a load up for him that day.

They were top class that day.

What a player my hero when I was young top notch striker all the best big man thanks for the fantastic memories you gave me and my family of bears during your time legend

Derek was guest speaker at a sportsmans dinner I was at a couple of years ago and looked like he could still play then.

He takes great delight in telling everyone that both he and his dad have scored for Rangers against the manky mob.

Happy birthday Derek , hope it's a great one for all tonight.

Back