Rangers History Born on this date in 1893, the legendary Alan Morton

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
There is no definitive answer to the question of who is the greatest ever Rangers player. Our club has a history full of great names whose legend will last forever. But on this day in 1893, a man was born in Glasgow who must have as good a claim to the Greatest Ranger title as anyone else. The legendary Alan Morton.

These are just a few facts about the Wee Blue Devil's time as a Ranger.

Bill Struth's first signing, from Queens Park in the summer of 1920. After he turned professional on completion of his studies to become a fully qualified mining engineer. Alan Morton remained a part time footballer, refusing to give up his career outside the game.
He made his debut against Airdrie, a club who had rejected him after a trial with them prior to his Queens Park days.
He scored his first Rangers goal at Parkhead in a Glasgow Cup tie against Celtic.
Only 5 feet 4 inches tall, his speed, trickery and incredible ability with either foot made him an automatic choice for Scotland as well as a creator and scorer of goals for Rangers.
He won 31 Scotland caps, and played in 11 out of 12 games against England, only missing 1926 through injury.
His starring role in the famous 1928 5-1 thrashing of England made him one of the most famous Wembley Wizards.
Alan Morton won 9 league championships in his 12 and a half seasons as a player with the club.
He played in the Rangers team of 1928 who finally ended the club's 25 year hoodoo, hammering Celtic 4-0. He went on to play in 2 more winning Scottish Cup teams.
He played 470 times for Rangers, scoring 109 goals, and was never booked.
Alan Morton was considered by many football judges in the 1920s to not only be the best player in Scotland, but the best in the world.
His last appearance for the club was in January 1933 at the age of 39, and like his debut it was against Airdrie. He scored in a 5-1 victory.

On retiring, Alan Morton became a Director of the club, and he served on the board right up to his death in 1971.
The iconic marble staircase at Ibrox has an oil painting at the top. Of all the figures it could be, it is of the great Alan Morton.

Born April 24th 1893.
Died December 12th 1971

A Ranger on and off the field. A legend immortal.

Alan Lauder Morton.

Great thread. Also, used to play about with the studs on his boots to give him greater ability to twist and turn away from defenders.

Did the nickname stem from a game against England?

I long for those days. Simpler times, everyone immaculately dressed and Rangers icons walking to the match down PRW or getting the train in.

*sighs*

Last edited:
Great thread. Also, used to play about with the studs on his boots to give him greater ability to twist and turn away from defenders.

I long for those days. Simpler times, everyone immaculately dressed and Rangers icons walking to the match down PRW or getting the train in.

*sighs*
I never did the bowler hat and umbrella but was a suit, collar and tie regular:))

Many thanks for this. Alan Morton has serious claims to be both our greatest-ever player and the greatest-ever Ranger (considering his long service to the club after his retirement from playing).
Yet he's not in our Greatest Eleven.

As much as I absolutely loved both Davie Cooper and Brian Laudrup, it shows the problem of having a public vote for a best team for a club with a history like ours.

27 when he signed? I had no idea he was that old.
Alan Morton made his debut for Queens Park in November 2013 as a 20-year-old. His first game was a 2-2 draw with Third Lanark and he scored.
He made 249 appearances for them and scored 50 goals.
His last game for them was a Charity Cup final defeat to Celtic in May 1920.

Probably a candidate for their Hall of Fame as well as in ours.

Last edited:
There is no definitive answer to the question of who is the greatest ever Rangers player. Our club has a history full of great names whose legend will last forever. But on this day in 1893, a man was born in Glasgow who must have as good a claim to the Greatest Ranger title as anyone else. The legendary Alan Morton.

These are just a few facts about the Wee Blue Devil's time as a Ranger.

Bill Struth's first signing, from Queens Park in the summer of 1920. After he turned professional on completion of his studies to become a fully qualified mining engineer. Alan Morton remained a part time footballer, refusing to give up his career outside the game.
He made his debut against Airdrie, a club who had rejected him after a trial with them prior to his Queens Park days.
He scored his first Rangers goal at Parkhead in a Glasgow Cup tie against Celtic.
Only 5 feet 4 inches tall, his speed, trickery and incredible ability with either foot made him an automatic choice for Scotland as well as a creator and scorer of goals for Rangers.
He won 31 Scotland caps, and played in 11 out of 12 games against England, only missing 1926 through injury.
His starring role in the famous 1928 5-1 thrashing of England made him one of the most famous Wembley Wizards.
Alan Morton won 9 league championships in his 12 and a half seasons as a player with the club.
He played in the Rangers team of 1928 who finally ended the club's 25 year hoodoo, hammering Celtic 4-0. He went on to play in 2 more winning Scottish Cup teams.
He played 470 times for Rangers, scoring 109 goals, and was never booked.
Alan Morton was considered by many football judges in the 1920s to not only be the best player in Scotland, but the best in the world.
His last appearance for the club was in January 1933 at the age of 39, and like his debut it was against Airdrie. He scored in a 5-1 victory.

On retiring, Alan Morton became a Director of the club, and he served on the board right up to his death in 1971.
The iconic marble staircase at Ibrox has an oil painting at the top. Of all the figures it could be, it is of the great Alan Morton.

Born April 24th 1893.
Died December 12th 1971

A Ranger on and off the field. A legend immortal.

Alan Lauder Morton.

His grave at New Monkland Cemetery.

@The Moonlighter

His grave at New Monkland Cemetery.

@The Moonlighter
The restoration guys have already been on the case

“Charlie Shaw never saw where Alan Morton put the ba” I remember my Gramps telling me that story.

:))

*sighs*
He was known as The Wee Society Mon before the English press dubbed him The Wee Blue Devil.

Growing up, I knew an old man who went to school with the wee blue deil.

As you say, a Rangers legend.

*sighs*
It was the English who christened him 'The Wee Blue Devil'.

His nickname at Ibrox was The wee Society man.

My dad used to tell me about “The Wee Blue Devil” often as a boy. My old man was born in the late forties into a large poor family and I can only imagine he was told the tales of Alan Morton from his Dad and older brothers.
I imagine him listening intently as I would as a boy. I have no idea why but he was captivated by him and so was I listening to the stories.

It’s touching and somewhat fitting that my old man now shares the same cemetery as TWBD, a fact I did not know until I read this article and the attached on the Rangers graves.

I’ll be sure to pass by Mr Morton’s grave and pay my respects and let my old boy know just where I’ve been.

His wiki page said that he was very interested in unionist politics due to a rise of nationalist support post war. good on you Alan. I share that interest with every bone in my body.

As a kid in the 60's I loved New Year when all the family gathered, usually after the Ne'erday game at my Grandparents house. All the generations from my old Granda down would tell stories of Rangers players of the past, everyone would regale the assembled company of stories of their own favourite. It always ended with my Granda, a typical man of few words, from his chair next to the fireplace telling one and all that Alan Morton was the best that has ever been and he'll never see a better player in a Rangers jersey.
If I was granted the gift of time travel to go back and see a Rangers legend before my time then it would be the Wee Blue Devil.

As much as I absolutely loved both Davie Cooper and Brian Laudrup, it shows the problem of having a public vote for a best team for a club with a history like ours.
I agree, the voting definitely had a modern.day bias!

Incidentally, as a poster I always look out for, who would be in your 11? Of course you are too young to have seen guys like Morton play, but if we were basing it on reputation and contribution rather than your own eyes?

One other wee fact.

He died the same day as another Rangers hall of fame legend, the great Torry Gillick.

What a sad day that must have been.
I remember that day and the news of their passing being on the Scottish News. Torry was a big favourite of my dad's.

I agree, the voting definitely had a modern.day bias!

Incidentally, as a poster I always look out for, who would be in your 11? Of course you are too young to have seen guys like Morton play, but if we were basing it on reputation and contribution rather than your own eyes?
I honestly have no idea what our greatest 11 would be, and after posting this today I'm not even 100% sure I'd have Alan Morton at outside left. Alec Smith has a huge claim to that position based on his reputation and contribution to the club on the pitch. But it would be one of them, despite some incredible number 11s since.
I don't think there's a single position in the team that is a 100% certainty for any one player.

I honestly have no idea what our greatest 11 would be, and after posting this today I'm not even 100% sure I'd have Alan Morton at outside left. Alec Smith has a huge claim to that position based on his reputation and contribution to the club on the pitch. But it would be one of them, despite some incredible number 11s since.
I don't think there's a single position in the team that is a 100% certainty for any one player.
As a bare minimum, a player should have 200 appearances before being considered. That would rule out Gascoigne, Laudrup, Butcher possibly even Hateley and Goram - all top players but there are players with much greater contributions.

As a bare minimum, a player should have 200 appearances before being considered. That would rule out Gascoigne, Laudrup, Butcher possibly even Hateley and Goram - all top players but there are players with much greater contributions.
To be honest, only Goram and Laudrup are contenders anyway from that group.

In my humble opinion.

In 50 years time Cooper and Laudrup will not be in our greatest ever 11. People tend to vote for who they have actually seen play.

Agree with your last sentence @dh1963. Another problem is that most try to pigeon hole a greatest XI into a 4-2-4 or 4-3-3 formation whereas for the majority of our history up to the mid 1960’s, we played more as a 2-3-5 formation.

What's the origin again of the "Wee Society Man" nickname?
My understanding is a society man was a well dressed insurance salesman who used to go round houses collecting weekly money from householders. They were always immaculately dressed in bowler hat and best suit.
Morton was similarly dressed at all times, and that made him look like these "society men" of the time.

that is just time Dh.
There is no Meek or Woodburn, no Alec Smith Vallance or Sandy Archibald. No Willie Waddell and so many more.
Personally our Greatest Eleven is a bit of a sham due to views of current fans still living against the millions now gone.
Butcher over Young?
Cooper over Morton or even Henderson?
All subjective isn't it

As a kid in the 60's I loved New Year when all the family gathered, usually after the Ne'erday game at my Grandparents house. All the generations from my old Granda down would tell stories of Rangers players of the past, everyone would regale the assembled company of stories of their own favourite. It always ended with my Granda, a typical man of few words, from his chair next to the fireplace telling one and all that Alan Morton was the best that has ever been and he'll never see a better player in a Rangers jersey.
If I was granted the gift of time travel to go back and see a Rangers legend before my time then it would be the Wee Blue Devil.
Similar for me my Grandad born 1902 was a great Rangers man and would tell tales of the bygone days-Morton was his favourite

My faither always insisted that the greatest footballer he had ever seen was the wee blue devil. Admittedly, he said Slim Jim was brilliant, but I guess if ’push came tae shove’, he’d give his vote to Alan Morton. I’m assuming that’s because he watched Morton as a young 11/12 year old and that tends to be the major factor when selecting yer favourite. I was only 9 when I first saw Jimmie at Ibrox that late summer when he came to us from Raith, and it has stayed with me ever since.

But saying that, I also consider Laudrup was that good, I would say the Prince of football runs Jimmie very close for what he gave our Club.

Back