Borna Boo 'boys'

ArfieldsSalute

This guy seems to polarise opinion, some say he's not good enough, passes back all the time and a 'sh1te bag' and others say he is a good player, great crosser of ball etc.

I believe this guy has become the new whipping boy of Rangers. Today you can hear McGregor screaming 'Borna Borna' at a cross coming in (do we hear 'Tav Tav'???) And is constantly bemoaned by the support. But let's understand a few things here. This is a Croatian Internationalist who has many qualities, crossing being one of the top. His support runs for Kent are key to getting crosses in. He is a confidence player and it is apparent that the support constantly on his back is affecting his play. Now I'm not saying he is without faults. He needs more drive amongst other things but I do feel people are desperate for him to falter so Ridvan can play.

The guy weirdly has been one of our 'best' performers this season so can we just get behind the guy. He has an very out of form Kent in front of him and that can't be helping as well as a midfield who seem to be routed to the spot just now.

One thing that was very noticeable was the amount of times he did want to make a forward pass and there was no movement in front of him, nobody making themselves available for a pass. Kent is really bad for it.

I noticed a few times he threw his hands in the air then passed back the way, he knows the fans are on his back for this, I think he’s trying to make a point.

One thing that was very noticeable was the amount of times he did want to make a forward pass and there was no movement in front of him, nobody making themselves available for a pass. Kent is really bad for it.

I noticed a few times he threw his hands in the air then passed back the way, he knows the fans are on his back for this, I think he’s trying to make a point.
I reckon that's because he has been taking stick and he is showing he is looking up top but getting next to no movement

He’s dire, that’s why.

Him and Kent also play like they hate eachother so that makes it even worse.

Barisic is the easiest shift in Scottish Football as soon as a games remotely tight and he feels pressured.

I'm fed up wirh his on-pitch meltdowns where the head goes and he's worse than a man short. Even when he's playing well, we all know the next meltdown is just around the corner.

I wouldn't want Borna in the trenches beside me.

Time for a change.

He’s dire, that’s why.

Him and Kent also play like they hate eachother so that makes it even worse.

Barisic is the easiest shift in Scottish Football as soon as a games remotely tight and he feels pressured.
In my opinion Kent causes more issues for Borna. Kent doesn't want the ball just now and Barasic can't find the outball- for most part. He does have his issues but is not by any matter of means our main issue

This guy seems to polarise opinion, some say he's not good enough, passes back all the time and a 'sh1te bag' and others say he is a good player, great crosser of ball etc.

I believe this guy has become the new whipping boy of Rangers. Today you can hear McGregor screaming 'Borna Borna' at a cross coming in (do we hear 'Tav Tav'???) And is constantly bemoaned by the support. But let's understand a few things here. This is a Croatian Internationalist who has many qualities, crossing being one of the top. His support runs for Kent are key to getting crosses in. He is a confidence player and it is apparent that the support constantly on his back is affecting his play. Now I'm not saying he is without faults. He needs more drive amongst other things but I do feel people are desperate for him to falter so Ridvan can play.

The guy weirdly has been one of our 'best' performers this season so can we just get behind the guy. He has an very out of form Kent in front of him and that can't be helping as well as a midfield who seem to be routed to the spot just now.
Unfortunately so called supporters have a player they like to slaughter.
Not one player in our squad has not had ridiculous abuse thrown at them.
They are an embarrassment to genuine Rangers suppoters.

You just need to look at the several threads on Kent.
Borna gets a easy ride compared to the new whipping boy.

Definitely something we could be better at imo.

We should wait until after the game to abuse him :D

I actually feel sorry for Borna because I like him and you can see he wants to feel important and loved so to speak but he is infuriating to say the least.

I think Borna's been one of our better and more consistent performers this season, and he was by far the better of the 2 fullbacks today.

You couldn't hear any booing on US TV, but I hate it when the fans give abuse to players during a game. It only has a negative affect on the player and team.
If you just want go along and give abuse, give your ticket to someone who wants to support the team. They need support most when confidence is low, like right now.

And this 'Kent has downed tools' is bollox too. He tries 100%, but nothing is coming off right now.
I'd give him a shot on the right and try Yilmaz on the left, as he looks to have a bag of skill and tricks.

Last edited:
Borna along with Colak have been our two best players this season.

He’s flawed, but he gets zero support on that side from Kent. And yet has been a very reliable player in terms of assists. If you look at our team and think Borna is the problem then I genuinely don’t know what games you watch.

What bothers me with Barisic is that when he does go forward he's one of the best in the business at crossing. The above still-photograph of him passing back when there's options on is what is completely doing everyone's head in and it's why teams are targeting him and pressing him back.

Klopp sussed at HT that him and Kent look weak and bombarded that left hand side for the second half. Motherwell were just hoofing balls on top of him all game yesterday too, fortunately they've very little quality players.

He needs to believe in himself more as he has the quality but isn't showing it

The guy weirdly has been one of our 'best' performers this season so can we just get behind the guy. He has a very out of form Kent in front of him and that can't be helping as well as a midfield who seem to be routed to the spot just now.
Great crosser of the ball at times? Nothing more. Exceptionally poor defender who costs us far far more goals than he creates.

Constantly backs off players and never pressures the ball, loses his man all the time and ends up chasing shadows. He’s a key component in most goals we concede.

I think the issue with Borna is that he has been brought up to retain possession. If a forward pass is on he will play it however he needs to be >90% sure. I wish he would try and make something happen at times instead of always taking that safe option.

I think that is where that McGregor comment came from. He was more or less showing him the line and intimating try and take me on and Borna stopped and passed it back.

too much fans not enough " supporters " in the truest sense

Borna has been far from the biggest problem - Kent downing tools in front of him certainly won't be helping him. Kent needs taken dropped immediately.
he's been a huge problem being dropped for halliday, crapping himself at parkhead, consistently weak performances meaning we had to sign a LB in the summer.

Can swing in the odd good cross some of the time. Heart of a mouse most of the time.

he's been a huge problem being dropped for halliday, crapping himself at parkhead, consistently weak performances meaning we had to sign a LB in the summer.

He's been alright at best this season and has been part of a back four that has shipped four goals twice and seven goals once inside five weeks. The problem with Borna is that cannot be trusted to keep his head when it goes badly. He almost immediately goes into his shell. We shouldn't be having to worry that our near 30 year international left back is going to meltdown every so often.

That Yilmaz is barely getting any minutes even when games are done is the most concerning part. Looked pretty impressive v St Mirren last weekend and doesn't get a sniff in the next two games. It's ludicrous.

We'll see him midweek, he'll probably look impressive and we won't see him to after the World Cup again. I'd love to hear Gio's explanation for it.

Its passing decisions like this where he deserves his criticism. Is also very slow to move the ball at times even taking into account the other players issues.

Summed up how we play this move. Barisic should go to Lundstram but instead goes back to Davies, who then goes to Lundstram. He then, instead of looking around or turning with the ball, blindly plays a slow poor pass towards King which the Motherwell player intercepts and King has to bring him down and take the yellow.

Just such poor, negative stuff that continues to be a theme of our play.

Barisic has been abysmal. There's no two ways about it, regardless if others have been bad too, you can't deflect any hate on Borna by saying what about Tav, what about Kent etc.

He is deserving of that criticism, this was a guy that was starting LB for the runners up of the World Cup.

His only upside is that he can cross in a ball, right now the only saving grace.

Defensively makes poor decisions, gets caught in two minds, recycles possession backwards constantly, runs away from his man, leads people into the box, turns from crosses etc.

And this man is keeping out the LB we spent millions on, gives me the fear to be honest.

I reckon that's because he has been taking stick and he is showing he is looking up top but getting next to no movement
that is because Colak offers nothing outside the box we need to get Morelos playing up there with him to give us forward movements

Even Davis and Davies are telling him where to play the ball. Borna rolls it to Davies ffs.

We see too much of this. It's why so many are becoming frustrated with our play - safe, slow, ponderous football. I'll say it again. Celtic are far from world beaters but 2/3 passes and they are in the oppositions box numerous times throughout a match. 2/3 passes and our defence or midfield sitting deep are still in possession. The above still is a prime example of our negative play.

That ball goes into Lundstram's feet (and not behind him ffs like we do so often) and he drives forward. It takes at least 4 Motherwell players out the equation. What do we do; LB to CB to CM hospital ball, foul, surrender possession and face a free-kick in a dangerous position at 2-1 up with near on 90 minutes on the clock.

You dread seeing the “ trenches” chat on FF as you know it’s a sure sign the team are struggling big time.

It’s highly amusing that a guy kicking a ball forward playing sport signifies that he must be like John James Rambo on the battlefront :))
A guy on a thread about the board recently was comparing our current board's tenure to Winston Churchill during WW2. :oops: :D:D

Some of our fans are some of the most uncouth when it comes to modern football, so the criticism of Barisic isn't entirely justified when it comes to passing it back.

What I would say is he seldom gives the ball away, which is important, but needlessly passing it back does indicate someone lacking in confidence of themselves, or their teammates.

He's a victim of a few things.
Tactically we hamstring him as he's been asked to stay back a bit more to cover Tav being forward more.
Mentally, we all know he has a fragility about him.
Players round him playing poorly make's his job harder.
People are also on his back because we spent a huge chunk on a guy sitting on the bench and they want to see him.

That being said, I would have him up there with our better performers over the last month or so, he still puts in some terrific crosses that Colak will get onto.

Even Davis and Davies are telling him where to play the ball. Borna rolls it to Davies ffs.

We see too much of this. It's why so many are becoming frustrated with our play - safe, slow, ponderous football. I'll say it again. Celtic are far from world beaters but 2/3 passes and they are in the oppositions box numerous times throughout a match. 2/3 passes and our defence or midfield sitting deep are still in possession. The above still is a prime example of our negative play.

That ball goes into Lundstram's feet (and not behind him ffs like we do so often) and he drives forward. It takes at least 4 Motherwell players out the equation. What do we do; LB to CB to CM hospital ball, foul, surrender possession and face a free-kick in a dangerous position at 2-1 up with near on 90 minutes on the clock.
It's called "The Horseshoe"

Because Kent has chucked it it make Bornas life alot harder when defending . That doesn't explain his constant negative play but then again that's how the whole team are set up to play so it's maybe unfair to single him out. He cares and he tries imo.

Okay and sometimes good in low pressure league games, but in the tough matches he is a weak link. Good oppositions target our left side as they see it.

I'm at my wit's end with him. As I said in the match thread, even if Yilmaz turns out to be nothing special he must be worth a go as he can't give us much less than Borna.

He's a victim of a few things.
Tactically we hamstring him as he's been asked to stay back a bit more to cover Tav being forward more.
Mentally, we all know he has a fragility about him.
Players round him playing poorly make's his job harder.
People are also on his back because we spent a huge chunk on a guy sitting on the bench and they want to see him.

That being said, I would have him up there with our better performers over the last month or so, he still puts in some terrific crosses that Colak will get onto.
Excellent post

Borna is the current whipping boy because of a performance like yesterday, but Tav was at least just as bad if not worse. We need to drop Borna and play Yilmaz. Unfortunately I’d play Tav if he had a wooden leg and an eyepatch over Devine, no clue why we got rid of Zukowski because Devine just doesn’t seem like it to me

Borna is the current whipping boy because of a performance like yesterday, but Tav was at least just as bad if not worse. We need to drop Borna and play Yilmaz. Unfortunately I’d play Tav if he had a wooden leg and an eyepatch over Devine, no clue why we got rid of Zukowski because Devine just doesn’t seem like it to me
I think there were personal issues going on with Zukowski. A couple of members hinted at that a while ago.

I think Borna has two issues

1. Gio likes to have his wide midfielders stay to the touchline v the very narrow front 3 gerrard used to play. there is reduced space for him to run into from an attacking point of view.

2. As he is no longer a threat attacking, teams know they can shell balls on top of him all game and more times than not he's not putting a tackle in. He is being targeted, but that is literally what a decent press is supposed to do. Force the other team into mistakes, and the higher probability is that is through Borna.

Because Kent has chucked it it make Bornas life alot harder when defending . That doesn't explain his constant negative play but then again that's how the whole team are set up to play so it's maybe unfair to single him out. He cares and he tries imo.
It's not like our RW covers Tav's arse either (Wright aside as he is a workhorse)
I think in general the wingers are told to stay forward, it's not what we are used to seeing from Kent as Gerrard had him drilled to cover overlaps

I posted in another "Borna Bashing thread" he's the whipping boy of the support, how many times has he had no one to pass forward to ,no one making the proper runs, and I mean Kent ,or when Kent has the ball and Borna makes the overlap and he tries to beat 4 men and losing the ball instead of a simple pass leaving Borna out of position, Yes Borna has his faults but he's definitely not the worst culprit on the pitch.

Back