Boyd on what Gers can expext from Jones and Stewart

Bonnyloyal

He told the Sunday Post: "Jordan is a very good player. He operates down the left-hand side but is right-footed, so when he cuts inside, the whole goal opens up

"But he is equally as comfortable going down the outside. Being able to do both in such good measure makes him a nightmare for defenders.

"He has the ability and mentality to cope with playing for Rangers, I've no doubt about that.

"What he does need to improve on, however, is his goals return.

"He knows that himself, and he should be looking to get into double figures at Ibrox as there will be plenty of goalscoring opportunities for him.

"In Jordan, they will have someone who puts supporters on the edge of their seats."

And Boyd insists the case is the same with Stewart, who will arrive on a free transfer following his release from Birmingham.

Boyd added: "The same applies to Greg Stewart. He is 29 now and at the stage where the next three years should be the best of his career.

"I have to say I'm excited about Greg going to Rangers. He was brilliant at Kilmarnock because Steve Clarke gave him the freedom to roam around the front area, just off the striker - that's why he excelled

"It remains to be seen where he will play for Rangers, but I have a feeling he will fit very nicely into that number 10 role.

"He could turn out to be the missing piece of the jigsaw for Rangers. Greg has it in his locker to be one of the signings of the season.

"He is a Rangers supporter and will feel privileged at getting the opportunity. Again, like Jordan, he has the mentality to cope with playing for Rangers, he knows what the club is all about and the level of expectation.

"To get Jordan and Greg for no transfer outlay is great business."

I think Stewart will play that clever role behind the striker where he should be playing, McInnes wastes him out wide.

Jones - IMO - will be more of a basic winger, continually beat his man and get the ball in. Again, something we lack as Kent is more likely to come inside almost every time.

Honestly, these two boys for free and minimal wages - I honestly can’t see why folk are so against it.

I think Stewart will play that clever role behind the striker where he should be playing, McInnes wastes him out wide.

Jones - IMO - will be more of a basic winger, continually beat his man and get the ball in. Again, something we lack as Kent is more likely to come inside almost every time.

Honestly, these two boys for free and minimal wages - I honestly can’t see why folk are so against it.
Because to many they feel like squad upgrades not first team ones. It’s early days for the latter type of signing though so no point in panicking.

when you look at the sqaud as whole these guys so far will enhance it agree with boyd about Stewart when he was at the sheep he's better more central

I think Jones will blow very hot and cold and never settle, occasional impact off the bench is the most to be expected of both

Jones is Kent’s replacement....Stewart is Candieas replacement in the squad.

Not been overly excited by the signing of Jones but watched norn Ireland yesterday and was impressed with him

He was excellent in the previous Northern Ireland game aswell.

Never been impressed with him at Killie but hopefully playing in a team that has more of the ball suits him.

Stewart I'm not a big fan of but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Jones is Kent’s replacement....Stewart is Candieas replacement in the squad.

Stewart and Candeias have completely different skill sets. Even if Stewart is predominantly going to play right of the front three he'll be an alternative to Candeias when you want a more creative attacking option with a trick or two - he doesn't offer any defensive ability as a wide player and his work rate is not a patch on Daniel's..

I see Stewart as back up to Arfield maybe if we continue with that system

Hopefully he does well as the underwhelmed loyal seem to have him targeted for failure

I think you may be right but unfortunately Arfield is not a genuine no 10 and that is the one position that has not be properly addressed to date.

A genuine no 10, like DeBoer (although I accept not withhis quality) would improve our attack immeasurably - unfortunately they do not grow on trees and do not come cheap. Perhaps SG will surprise us and give the role to Stewart, who by all accounts was sensational at Rugby Park in that role but has underwhelmed playing wide right in his 2 spells at Pittodrie.

Last edited:
Not officially I suspect when the window opens Tuesday they will announce it, not that they have to wait, but so from a PR point of view it looks like we start the window on the front foot, but Allen and Co more time to secure the remaining targets without questions being asked over a lack of imminent signings.

Yeah, it could be as simple as our media team(don't laugh) are maybe on holiday. I would guess this is the quietest period of the year for many of our backroom staff.If Stewart has signed there is no hurry in actually announcing it.

This is it for me. They're good additions to the squad, and their signings don't impinge whatsoever on our ability to bring in more expensive players of top quality that will walk into the first team.

Because to many they feel like squad upgrades not first team ones. It’s early days for the latter type of signing though so no point in panicking.

We’re not going to have a squad of 25 players who consider themselves first team starters every week though, that has never happened ever with any squad in the history of football.

There will be a core of guaranteed starters, others who are on the edge, players who know they’re filling in 20 games a season and then some young guys happy to play a handful of times.

I’m not accusing you of this PMB, but this idea that we don’t need a squad or any squad depth is remarkably naive.

I don't think people are against it as such.

But it's a fact that not every transfer can work out. I'm one of those who believe these 2 may struggle to get game time due to their ability which will ultimately mean it hasn't worked.

But I'm willing and eager to be proved wrong.

I think you may be right but unfortunately Arfield is not a genuine no 10 and that is the one position that has not be properly addressed to date.

A genuine no 10, like DeBoer (although I accept not withhis quality) would improve our attack immeasurably - unfortunately they do not grow on trees and do not come cheap. Perhaps SG will surprise us and give the role to Stewart who by all accounts was sensational at Rugby Park in that role but has been underwhelmed playing wide right in his 2 spells at Pittodrie.

A genuine, consistent, quality number 10 is beyond us. And in truth, I think it's a dying role for top sides now.

Arfield doesn't get anywhere near the praise he deserves for his intelligent play in advanced areas. His link up with Defoe is a type of understanding between players we've not seen in decades.

Were Stewart to do similar, maybe not even as good, I'd be willing to bet he gets higher praise than Arfield just because of the type of player they're reputed to be.

Must admit any time I've seen Jones I've wondered what the fuss was about. Stewart was regularly earning MotM awards at Rugby Park in a central attacking role alongside (or just behind) Brophy. Now that Arfield is playing a more advanced role GS could be competent back up for him.

But what do I know.

Jones looked great when he came on yesterday. Will fit in brilliantly to our fast paced ball movement. Was not sure of the signing but now excited at what he can bring. Buzzin for the season to start.

willing to give them the chances they can hopefully use to succeed, remember the last time we had a "big name" at Ibrox? and people here were pulling themselves? Bruno Alves, that's really all I have to say

not saying Jones or Stewart are going to be similar to a Nacho Novo but remember he came from Dundee for £450k and became one of our best cheap signings

Have no problems with Stewart coming in but I still hope we are after a real technically gifted No10 after that we need a guy to produce a bit of magic in tight games.

Back