Braga rocked ahead of Rangers clash as Sporting Lisbon try to snatch boss Ruben Amorim

Syme

BRAGA have been rocked ahead of their Europa League showdown with Rangers after Sporting Lisbon prepared a shock move to snatch their manager Ruben Amorim.

The in-form Portuguese cracks welcome Steven Gerrard's Gers for the second leg of the last 32 showdown needing to overturn a 3-2 deficit.

But their preparations were not helped after it emerged Sporting have made him their main target to replace under-fire boss Jorge Silas, who is out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

Braga value Amorim so highly, they have inserted an £8.4million release clause which would have to be met in full to allow him to go to Sporting.

The capital club have reportedly tried to offer Braga £4.2m instead and offer them two players as part of the deal, which has been rejected.

Amorim has won nine of the 11 matches he's been in charge of Braga and that loss in Glasgow was the only time he has tasted defeat.

And Amorim was dealt a further blow when the Portuguese Managers and Coaches Association reiterated their call for him to be banned from managing until he completes his coaching badges.

He's not allowed to coach alone in the dug-out because he hasn't reached Portugal's Level Four stage in his badges.

And the Association's president, Jose Pereira, said: "I am not questioning his ability and competence.

"I am questioning the fact Braga are not complying with the regulations agreed with every club.

"I might be able to fly a plane, but without the correct qualifications, I wouldn't be allowed. It's the same with coaching

Its a common occurrence that most of our European opponents change managers. Or have some "manager uncertainty" when playing us.

Can think of Feynoord, Rapid Vienna, Villareal, Spartak all within the last year.

They are also giving away free tickets to children and students,pleading with employers to let people away from work early to attend the match! It doesnt stop them from being a class team but i will cling onto any old shite in the hope it distracts them :D

That's pretty bizarre that he doesn't hold the relevant qualifications but is being chased based on 11 games. I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the most accurate of sources but it looks like he's managed 11 games for Braga B before managing Braga. Far too untested to for someone to be paying £8m+ for. Mental.

I'm assuming it does, but would also be curious to see if they qualifications are needed for UEFA competitions if he needs a buddy in Portugal.

"rocked" "cracks" "under-fire" "main target" "dealt a blow" the copyright of the Scottish press article for 30 years...........

"rocked" "cracks" "under-fire" "main target" "dealt a blow" the copyright of the Scottish press article for 30 years...........

It's certainly provided a golden opportunity for the Light Blues to get their passport to the next round and silence the boo boys.

Back