Brazil 1970 - The Greatest of All Time

mdingwall

Administrator
The Greatest of All Time.

These are the goals from that Brazil side and they do not do the team justice. 6 games, 19 goals, 16 from open play, 3 from set pieces and no extra time, PSO or Pens in normal time needed. This is more than football. It pure artistry. The fact that we are raving about this side over 50 years later, should tell people how magnificent they were. Their legacy will never leave the pitch.

Would love to have seen them live.

You just can’t rate teams that were before your time the same way that you can with teams of your generation

I reckon Barca 07-12 would pump them silly.
Part of that would due to fitness and speed of game. The famous Carlos Alberta goal is like watching a friendly in walking football

I can see the Barca equation but don't get the second part of your argument.

If the Brazil team of 1970 were playing in modern times, they'd be up to speed with today's techniques and training, diet etc. So the skill set would still be there.

As for Carlos Alberta's goal? Feck me, Clodoaldo's run out of defence, taking out maybe three Italians, Pele's imperious pass to his captain and you think that's Keystone Kops football?

Last edited:

If the Brazil team of 1970 were playing in modern times, they be up to speed with today's techniques and training, diet etc. So the skill set would still be there.

As for Carlos Alberta's goal? Feck me, Clodoaldo's run out of defence, taking out maybe three Italians, Pele's imperious pass to his captain and you think that's Keystone Kops football?

I get there is a lovely finish at the end but the build up is a shambles. Literally Italian guys walking around with absolutely no pressure on the ball. Never understood the fuss about it

If the Brazil team of 1970 were playing in modern times, they be up to speed with today's techniques and training, diet etc. So the skill set would still be there.

Totally agree on all points 100%.

Aye it's good to compare great sides from different eras (I put similar on here a few weeks ago with the same two teams), but you're spot-on with your comment regarding training, diet, technique etc. If that Brazil Team had met Barcelona on level terms regarding fitness, training etc., I know where my cash would be going on to win and it wouldn't have been on Messi and Co.

You could never deny that Barcelona Team were fantastic, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc. all world class players. But Brazil weren't short on talent in their team either, Clodoaldo, Gerson, Riveleno, Jairzhino, Tostao and Pele, with the great Carlos Alberto leading them, what a team. Plus that last goal ............ perfection.

Totally agree on all points 100%.

Aye it's good to compare great sides from different eras (I put similar on here a few weeks ago with the same two teams), but you're spot-on with your comment regarding training, diet, technique etc. If that Brazil Team had met Barcelona on level terms regarding fitness, training etc., I know where my cash would be going on to win and it wouldn't have been on Messi and Co.

You could never deny that Barcelona Team were fantastic, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc. all world class players. But Brazil weren't short on talent in their team either, Clodoaldo, Gerson, Riveleno, Jairzhino, Tostao and Pele, with the great Carlos Alberto leading them, what a team. Plus that last goal ............ perfection.

I think that 1970 team all seemed to gel and peak for that competition. Footballing alchemy. And then you have Pele. I mean they were a poor imitation in 74 and sometimes a disgrace.

Factor in that we had games on in the morning, and the fact we didn't have so many live games back then, it all added to the magic and mystique.

Maybe being only nine years old at the time, but there's never been a WC like it.

Since then, Holland in 74 and Brazil in 82 are the best teams not to win it.

These are the goals from that Brazil side and they do not do the team justice. 6 games, 19 goals, 16 from open play, 3 from set pieces and no extra time, PSO or Pens in normal time needed. This is more than football. It pure artistry. The fact that we are raving about this side over 50 years later, should tell people how magnificent they were. Their legacy will never leave the pitch.

The name is ingrained in my head. Edson Arantes do Nascimento. Also the best football film of all time. The World At Your Feet. Happy memories from a primary school kid.

If those players were playing today their level of fitness would've the same or better than any other team. Their ability was second to none.

Correct and to me that's simple.

I mean if Alan Morton could, 100 years ago handle playing in tackety boots and having to control and cross rain sodden leather footballs, why wouldn't he able to do it today with all the modern equipment?

We can all argue about different teams from different eras, as there's been so many you could pick from. There's thousands of great players from the past we could compare, and again it's all aboot opinions.

The great Real Madrid Team from the late 50's/early 60's, what a team that was as well. The night before the great European Cup Final against Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden in 1960, they were training at Hampden. Gento was standing out on the left wing having a smoke, his teammates shouted at him to get into position for a move they were practicing. Gento dropped his cigarette, went off like a greyhound, got the ball, dribbled past three players before putting the ball in the top corner. He slowly walked back out on the wing, picked up his cigarette and continued smoking ............ oh and training.

Now you've got one of thee greatest players that played for one of thee greatest teams in football history - Gento was the only Real Madrid Player to have won six European Cups, like the great Brazil and Barcelona Teams mentioned earlier, how do you compare him with players from today.

Just think what he'd be worth today when in his prime and accessing all the Sports Sciences, Training Techniques available to today's players - mind you, he'd probably still want a smoke.

We can all argue about different teams from different eras, as there's been so many you could pick from. There's thousands of great players from the past we could compare, and again it's all aboot opinions.

The great Real Madrid Team from the late 50's/early 60's, what a team that was as well. The night before the great European Cup Final against Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden in 1960, they were training at Hampden. Gento was standing out on the left wing having a smoke, his teammates shouted at him to get into position for a move they were practicing. Gento dropped his cigarette, went off like a greyhound, got the ball, dribbled past three players before putting the ball in the top corner. He slowly walked back out on the wing, picked up his cigarette and continued smoking ............ oh and training.

Now you've got one of thee greatest players that played for one of thee greatest teams in football history - Gento was the only Real Madrid Player to have won six European Cups, like the great Brazil and Barcelona Teams mentioned earlier, how do you compare him with players from today.

Just think what he'd be worth today when in his prime and accessing all the Sports Sciences, Training Techniques available to today's players - mind you, he'd probably still want a smoke.

What was Socrates on, 40 or 60 fags a day? And I'm not talking about his lifestyle.

I wholeheartedly agree, football at its best and the most enjoyable WC of my lifetime.

great goals.
Some of the 'goalkeeping' though!

Pele himself thought that the team with himself and Garincha in it was a better team ,than the 1970 one , that is a scary thought .

A doctor and a philosopher? :)

What a team.

I loved Cryuff's 74 Holland.

But I genuinely treated Brazil's loss to Italy in 82 as near as I could to the way I reacted to a Rangers defeat.

First WC I watched was Mexico 86.

Brazil were great to watch in that tournament too. Their quarter final vs France was one of the best WC games I have ever seen but as it only had two goals after 120 minutes and neither team reached the final its been mostly forgotten about.

It was Zicos last match at a WC.

Definitely the greatest team of all time. And possibly the best world cup finals I've watched, although West Germany 1974 comes very close, as does Italia '90 (though the final was poor) and in fact, the last world cup finals when Argentina won was a great tournament. I hope that this year's Euros are up to scratch.

The best I can ever remember. They did things others just could not do.
And they did it with a panache and style that was just, as you say artistry.

In my opinion Brazil 1970 were the best ever - even allowing for changes in coaching, fitness etc.
They were unstoppable, yet if I remember right, the only team to give them a game was England.

It’s played in heat and at altitude you daft lady's front bottom.

Anyway - you’re about to get a week in the sinbin for being a windup merchant.
I've made a similar point in previous threads on the 1970 WC. I seriously doubt any matches would be played at those times today in Mexico.

The greatest football side in history,no question.

One good thing about being my age is that the then thirteen year old me was able to watch and up to a point appreciate that team.
Until this day my favourite memory is Clodoaldo’s mazy run in the build-up to Carlos Alberto’s goal. A central defender showing skill like that blew me away.
Then the sheer nonchalance of Pele’s inch perfect pass for the captain’s shot.

First WC in colour
First to have yellow and red cards
First to have a white ball with black panels
First time seeing defenders put up a wall
Odd looking black goal nets
Pele dummying the goalie
Of course Scotland missed being there.

First WC in colour
Pele dummying the goalie

Scotland were screwed as soon as they were put into the same qualifying group as West Germany.

First WC in colour
Pele dummying the goalie

You missed Pele's try from the half way line.

Isn't it amazing that after all these years we still celebrate Pele's genius for two misses?

Back