Brazil 1970 - The Greatest of All Time

Too young to have watched the ‘82 World Cup but that Brazil team looked unbelievable. Socrates, Zico, Eder, Falcao… some of the highlights the football they were playing was incredible.

If they had a Pele, Romario or Ronaldo they might well have won it.
It was a fluke Italian win scuppered them. Defensive mistakes.

In the game v Italy, it is the second equaliser by Socrates,(I can't remember) It is the decoy run by Falcao (or maybe it was the other way around?) The decoy run was a thing of beauty and opened up the play for that equaliser.

I read somewhere that the 82 team were revered more in Brazil than the 94 winning team.

Urban myth or legend? Who knows.

Too young to have watched the ‘82 World Cup but that Brazil team looked unbelievable. Socrates, Zico, Eder, Falcao… some of the highlights the football they were playing was incredible.

Great book about them called Brazil 82. Worth a look.

The most indisputable fact in football.

I clicked the video expecting to say, good for their time but wouldn’t even beat us nowadays. My goodness I was so wrong and totally uneducated about how good they were. If there was a way to get that footage to look like our tv quality now, you wouldn’t be able to say it was 50 years ago. Some of the build up, moves, passes, finishes were just like what I’d expect in the champions league.

The short corner for goal number 10 is something we should be looking at. What a clever move, the player going to the by line rather than passing it back the way.

And what was apparent was it wasn’t just Pele. That was a whole team of absolute fantastic football players.

I clicked the video expecting to say, good for their time but wouldn’t even beat us nowadays. My goodness I was so wrong and totally uneducated about how good they were. If there was a way to get that footage to look like our tv quality now, you wouldn’t be able to say it was 50 years ago. Some of the build up, moves, passes, finishes were just like what I’d expect in the champions league.

The short corner for goal number 10 is something we should be looking at. What a clever move, the player going to the by line rather than passing it back the way.

And what was apparent was it wasn’t just Pele. That was a whole team of absolute fantastic football players.

Only those who were old enough to remember that WC recall how magical it was.

Not that I remember this as such, but it was also the start of the TV panels.

Your Cloughs, Malcolm Allisons etc.

I've often thought football can be a generational thing.

For those at 8/9/10 years of age back in 1970, I doubt there will be a WC beats it.

I think Jairinho secured a scoring record in that tournament. The first player to score in every game of the compettion.

Brazil 70 were class all the way through and the classic goal in the final has to be the best ever, i did see them in the flesh at the 82 world cup game in Seville( the game when Nareys toe poke annoyed them) they then ripped us apart.

You have to remember though that no one ever played in goals on the Copacabana. The guy put in goals would be the last guy picked for a team with limited eye foot coordination They relied on scoring more than their opponents.
Absolutely. Football to them was an art form and the glory was laying on the perfect goal. This was not what we considered the great goal of the long range shot but working the ball into the net with short passes and dribbling. Defence and "keeping" just didn't cut the mustard.

'82 was a bit of a watershed. It was basically the end of "Brasilian" football. '86 was the rump end of it as there was still the residual "i'm doing it my way" artist. Thereafter the European strict formula took over and it was down to who could maintain the discipline the best won out. Even Messi and C. Ronaldo fell into line with a bit of leeway.

After 1970 I can remember the excitement leading up to the 1974 World Cup and the chance to see Brazil again, not realising Pele Gerson Tostao and Carlos Alberto and others were all missing for various reasons and they had replaced them with a bunch of thugs

Brazil 70 were class all the way through and the classic goal in the final has to be the best ever, i did see them in the flesh at the 82 world cup game in Seville( the game when Nareys toe poke annoyed them) they then ripped us apart.

I was n/shift but I saw the toe poke before going on my shift. Eder's chipped goal however was something else. Rough's vacant body, never mind stare.

I love that you saw what we saw and appreciate what went on back then. It was basically another form of the sport. Then there was one of the opening tunes from the Beeb or ITV. All latin beat and whistles. Even at 9 y/o you bought into the whole extravaganza.

Before My time but people saying the best team of all time and this is based on what, 6 games? Seems a short window to be considered the best of all time when other teams have done things over prolonged periods. As I say before my time so maybe they were brilliant before and after those 6 games in other tournaments and that's a factor in saying the best of all time?

Before My time but people saying the best team of all time and this is based on what, 6 games? Seems a short window to be considered the best of all time when other teams have done things over prolonged periods. As I say before my time so maybe they were brilliant before and after those 6 games in other tournaments and that's a factor in saying the best of all time?

It's a good point.

But I think most on here are judging them on the WC tournament. alone. There was a sense of did we just witness that? As I say Pele's two misses, the shot from the halfway line and dummying the goalie were like nothing we had ever seen. It changed how we thought about how the game should be played.

The only nation you can say comes near to them is Spain in 2008/10 and 12

Have you came off the back of a WC feeling euphoric?

We all did back in 1970.

Brilliant post `mark, the, the Carlos Alberto goal against Italy still 50 yrs later take me back to that World Cup.
Was that WC the one where Pele dummied the goalkeeper???

I reckon Barca 07-12 would pump them silly.
Part of that would due to fitness and speed of game. The famous Carlos Alberta goal is like watching a friendly in walking football
Jeez mate. The fastest thing on the pitch is the ball. If you can pass and control it with ease you don't need fitness. You learn that once the legs have gone. These guys knew it in their prime.

Can still name the XI from the final. Wouldn’t recognise any of the defenders (Carlos Alberto apart) if I saw photos of them, though. Was all about their attack.

This is a good point. I was 10 at the time and can only tell you the excitement that team had on us. That brief period, and you are correct it is a brief period, did something magical to our generation that I personally have never seen again. Here we are 54 years later and still that love is being shown in these post. Truely remarkable.

This is a good point. I was 10 at the time and can only tell you the excitement that team had on us. That brief period, and you are correct it is a brief period, did something magical to our generation that I personally have never seen again. Here we are 54 years later and still that love is being shown in these post. Truely remarkable.

Agreed. There was just a magic and mystery that surrounded that particular tournament, that unless you witnessed it, you can't really quantify or explain to those who never.

Maybe because I was only 9, maybe it's an age thing but no other WC comes close. Only the Dutch of 74 and Brazil of 82, come close to providing that sense of magic.

I do get that it was remarkable to watch and I'm not trying to take anything away from them as a team im sure that they were an incredible team to watch. My point being if it wasn't sustained over a period of years at other world cups then I think the tag greatest of all time seems a bit much over such a small period of time....literally 6 games over a month.

Memory help needed sure BBC showed highlights of 1970 in early morning about 730 - 830 before heading to school?

Back