Brechin City 1-2 Rangers (AET), Ramsden's Cup 1st Round - 29th July 2012

crmpicco

The last of my current uploads is the "first game back" in 2012.

An early goal from Andy Little made it look like we were going to stroll the game and the divisions, certainly that's what I thought. After the goal we went in we played average, IMO, and Ian Black had a really poor first half.

The bears were excellent, despite a second half soaking.

A bit of a blast from the past and, to borrow a well-worn phrase, shows how far we have come.

Rangers: Alexander, Goian, Bocanegra, Broadfoot, Wallace, McKay (Naismith 96), Black, Hutton, Macleod, Little (Crawford 111), McCulloch.

Subs Not Used: Gallacher, Cole.

Goals: Little 4, McCulloch 102.

Att: 4,123

Last edited:
@Buzz07 - good times.

I still harboured some excitement about the journey back then.

There was a romantic vision of working our way back to where we belong.

Sadly, many a charlatan, board and player, fucked that for me.

Some honourable names on the team sheet though.

Alexander, McCulloch and Wallace etc. Forever grateful.

Was in the stand behind the goal with the wee man, just remember it as being a terrible game, looking back it does show how far we've came though, he was 7 at the time and had seen us win the league at Kilmarnock just over a year before, he's just turned 15 now and off to Porto next week.

7 years.

From struggling past Brechin, to defeating Feyenoord at Ibrox and sitting top of the SPL.

It’s been a not so enjoyable journey. Parts of Warburton’s were outstanding and he really kick started us getting to where we are now.

Pedro was just shocking all the way through, although I didn’t want to tell myself that at the time.

But these last 18 months have been nothing short of spectacular. Gerrard and the team have provided moments that are up there from when Walter was Manager.

Right man, at the right time, for the right club.

I was there that day and the demand for tickets was strong. Folk offering fifty quid for tickets outside. Some journey and it’s great to see us back at the top.

Is it just me? Those days are gone, they were not romantic and should be binned along with that "journey" dross.
Opens up old wounds.

Whilst I agree that it wasn't romantic, we should wear our scars with pride and not hide from them unlike our scabby neighbours.

Yes, it was bleak at times but it will make us appreciate the imminent good times that are on the horizon that wee bit more.

Is it just me? Those days are gone, they were not romantic and should be binned along with that "journey" dross.
Opens up old wounds.
I don't see it as a romantic journey to look back on either, it was hell let's be honest. But I just wanted to share this game as it was iconic

Didn’t realise Goian and Bocanegra played in this game. They must have left pretty soon after.
I think this was Boca's final game.

Goian switched off for their goal and was 100% to blame. In hindsight looking at where he went on to he was over-rated by the support when he first joined. The comments on here and Twitter were building him up as a stalwart of our defense for years to come.

Didn’t realise Goian and Bocanegra played in this game. They must have left pretty soon after.
That's correct they left before the end of the window to be replaced by Faure et al.
Then the illegal transfer ban kicked in but unfortunately not before we had signed Ian Black.

Shiels and Templeton also signed in the week or so that followed.

I really liked that wee ground. Got the biggest soaking I've ever had at a game there but I enjoyed the place as an away day. Locals were all brand new.

The support in the 3rd division was FANtastic and as I remember it gelled/galvanised us together in spite of all the moves to destroy The RANGERS FC by our enemies within and outwith fitbaw.

30,000 for each of the 2 third division matches at Hampden against a rejuvenated Queens Park who were on our tails most of that season but just ran out of puff to keep with us to get promtion.

2012/13 season

Highest home attendance 4th May 2013 50,048. Versus Berwick R.

Lowest home attendance 2nd December 2012 23,195 Versus Elgin city.

Updated by me.. galvanised.

Last edited:
The thing that irked me was it was released at a bad time because it gave fuel to the fire that we were a "new club". Bland shirt, no stars over the crest etc.

Genuinely never understood why so many folk went into meltdown over that mate, in fact I'd go as far to say, that particular 'fire' only gathered so much momentum because we took the bait (as usual) and indulged it so much. FWIW I've never really liked the stars. Great as a one off to mark the 50th, but would rather it wasnt a permanent feature. That's obviously a different debate altogether.

I agree though, it wasnt a great time to release it. Sort of got lost in all the other shite going on.

'The journey' was one clusterfuck after another. What made it worse was with all the off field nonsense, before we could count on the team to deliver, they were struggling against part time footballers. When we get our title back it will make everyone who wanted us to stay in Div 3 spew their guts and head for the Erskine Bridge.

'The journey' was one clusterfuck after another. What made it worse was with all the off field nonsense, before we could count on the team to deliver, they were struggling against part time footballers. When we get our title back it will make everyone who wanted us to stay in Div 3 spew their guts and head for the Erskine Bridge.

Lets look for a large line of poet leaping lemmings on that day.

We had no computer sales system so I just jumped on the subway went to the ticket office and got 3 tickets.

The atmosphere in the 20 minutes before kick off was amazing - I’m just behind the orange flag in this video

Went sour pretty quickly though. Never forget; never forgive

Can see me bouncing away at the front of the hedge there. Great Video :))

7 years.

From struggling past Brechin, to defeating Feyenoord at Ibrox and sitting top of the SPL.

It’s been a not so enjoyable journey. Parts of Warburton’s were outstanding and he really kick started us getting to where we are now.

Pedro was just shocking all the way through, although I didn’t want to tell myself that at the time.

But these last 18 months have been nothing short of spectacular. Gerrard and the team have provided moments that are up there from when Walter was Manager.

Top of the SPL and kind of joing top of our EL group, just separated by results against!

I think this was Boca's final game.

Goian switched off for their goal and was 100% to blame. In hindsight looking at where he went on to he was over-rated by the support when he first joined. The comments on here and Twitter were building him up as a stalwart of our defense for years to come.

Bocanegra played in 3 of the league games after this - gave away the penalty in the home opener against East Stirlingshire after 3 minutes in fact. I remember that being one of the weirder penalty awards I’ve ever seen in person as the fans didn’t stop singing the atmosphere was so bouncing.

On that day, as much as we'd suffered throughout the summer, we still had the f#cking torture of McCoist's management to endure. An awful time for the Club and supporters.

Genuinely never understood why so many folk went into meltdown over that mate, in fact I'd go as far to say, that particular 'fire' only gathered so much momentum because we took the bait (as usual) and indulged it so much. FWIW I've never really liked the stars. Great as a one off to mark the 50th, but would rather it wasnt a permanent feature. That's obviously a different debate altogether.

I agree though, it wasnt a great time to release it. Sort of got lost in all the other shite going on.
I think the deal to release the "retro" shirt was already agreed before we hit the skids. Celtic had their retro shirt the same season.

4 seasons during the game. Relief when Jig nodded the winner - giant killers, as Brechin were a league above us. Ball in the hedge. Pylon climber. We overfilled Glebe Park & sang lustily. Great day out except hot food ran out, late home/missed dinner & Green sat in the stand lapping up praise.

@Buzz07 - good times.

I still harboured some excitement about the journey back then.

There was a romantic vision of working our way back to where we belong.

Sadly, many a charlatan, board and player, fucked that for me.

Some honourable names on the team sheet though.

Alexander, McCulloch and Wallace etc. Forever grateful.
I still owe you one for getting me a ticket that day mate

Such a bizarre feeling that day. I kept thinking, “we made it, we survived”. And how long the journey ahead of us was going to be.

Such a bizarre feeling that day. I kept thinking, “we made it, we survived”. And how long the journey ahead of us was going to be.
I remember thinking it would be years before we’d be back in Europe, but I admit to thinking we’d sail through each and every league including what is now the Championship. I certainly didn’t expect to lose games to Annan Athletic and struggle away to the likes of Stirling Albion.

I remember going there in the league the following year and it was torrential rain all day and we were 3-0 down at one point I'm sure. I sold my ticket through there and went to the pub as I wasn't getting drenched next to that hedge.

I remember going there in the league the following year and it was torrential rain all day and we were 3-0 down at one point I'm sure. I sold my ticket through there and went to the pub as I wasn't getting drenched next to that hedge.
3-0 down to Brechin? I don’t remember that. I do recall beating them 4-3 away around 2013, but I don’t think we were 3-0 down.

7 years.

Perfectly summed up.

Apologies for this video having no sound. YouTube seem to have botched the re-encoding when stripping out the copyrighted songs and have just wiped all sound from it altogether. The commentary was in Gaelic anyway.

I'm the opposite to some.

I hate the strip ( reminds me of that utter shite time) hate watching those games back.

The journey was an absolute drag and I think the novelty wore off after the first game.

Back