Brechin City Chairman Stepping Down From SPFL Board/Pyramid Play-off Issues

NorthLanBear

Statement:

Ken Ferguson of Brechin City FC, and the League 1 & League 2 Director on the SPFL Board, has today tendered his resignation as an SPFL director.

He said: “In view of the fact that Brechin City are currently 42nd in the League, it is appropriate for me to step aside at this time – and to devote all my time and energy into ensuring that Brechin City do not finish bottom of League 2 this season.”

SPFL Chairman Murdoch MacLennan commented: “On behalf of the entire SPFL Board, I would like to thank Ken for his huge contribution to the SPFL Board over the past two seasons. I entirely understand and respect his reasons for wanting to step down at this time. Ken’s hard work, commitment and wisdom have been of enormous benefit to the League and he will be missed.”

Gordon Thomson of Clyde FC, the SPFL’s alternate director, will represent League 1 and League 2 until the SPFL’s AGM in July.

The SPFL also announced today that it is considering several issues relating to the Pyramid Play-Offs and that, as a result, it is not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.

The SPFL understands that the Lowland League and the Highland League have each declared ‘League Champions’ for Season 2020/21, with Kelty Hearts having played just 13 games; and Brora Rangers having played only three games this season.

At its meeting on 19 April, the SPFL Board will determine whether each of Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers meet the SPFL’s Membership Criteria. Only then will the SPFL be in a position to announce the position in respect of Pyramid Play-Offs this season.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: “Given that there are a number of uncertainties, including whether League 2 clubs will play 22 or 18 games this season, we are not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season. Whilst we understand that this lack of certainty will be disappointing to supporters of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts, it is important that we are entirely fair to all clubs, including the SPFL club that finishes bottom of League 2 this season. Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season.”

Probably got a wee promise from the other crooks on the board that they will make sure Brechin don't need to play a playoff again.

Wouldn't trust any of them as far as I can throw them.
That’s what I was thinking. There’s certainly a deal been done here somewhere.

In view of the fact that Brechin City are currently 42nd in the League, it is appropriate for me to step aside at this time – and to devote all my time and energy into ensuring that Brechin City do not finish bottom of League 2 this season.”

What is he planning to do?

Pull on a pair of football boots?

No, this is so his buddies will cancel the play-offs and he won't be part of it when it happens. Cvnts the lot of them.

Thought it might be easier for him to help brechin avoid relegation if he stays in the corrupt organisation that is spfl board and does some more dodgy dealing with the crooks he has been working with to ensure his team gets favourable treatment as they did last season with celtic.
Corrupt to the core the lot of them. Hopefully it's goodbye to brechin.

“it is important that we are entirely fair to all clubs, including the SPFL club that finishes bottom of League 2 this season.”

I would suggest they were more than ‘fair’ to Brechin last season at the expense of other clubs.

Genuinely couldn’t mark their necks with a blowtorch.

The corruption in Scottish Football doesn't get highlighted, so it continues.

It needs to be brought under scrutiny and pressure applied by means of demonstrations and protests at their HQ imo.

One key thing is this do Kelty and Brora actually meet the SPFL criteria?

Easy to say they are going to get shafted but if they don't not much the SPFL can do

Presume both will near enough will

Easy to say they are going to get shafted but if they don't not much the SPFL can do

If Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath meet the criteria (ground) it's not a very high bar to clear.

Will probably be replaced by someone just as bad unfortunately
At the end of this season there could be major changes !

Scottish Premiership: Steve Brown (St Johnstone) Les Gray (Hamilton Academical) and Peter Lawwell (Celtic). B-):shh:

Scottish Championship: Ewen Cameron (Alloa Athletic) and Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic)

Scottish League One and Scottish League Two: Ken Ferguson (Brechin City).

Also, Gordon Thomson (Clyde) has been elected as the alternate director for League One & League Two

Could be misinterpreting that statement but it’s almost as if Brechin will be saved again but the guy didn’t want to be on the board that makes the decision

I can't imagine why they wouldn't. Grounds are more than acceptable. Club finances not a problem.

Statement:

Ken Ferguson of Brechin City FC, and the League 1 & League 2 Director on the SPFL Board, has today tendered his resignation as an SPFL director.

He said: “In view of the fact that Brechin City are currently 42nd in the League, it is appropriate for me to step aside at this time – and to devote all my time and energy into ensuring that Brechin City do not finish bottom of League 2 this season.”

SPFL Chairman Murdoch MacLennan commented: “On behalf of the entire SPFL Board, I would like to thank Ken for his huge contribution to the SPFL Board over the past two seasons. I entirely understand and respect his reasons for wanting to step down at this time. Ken’s hard work, commitment and wisdom have been of enormous benefit to the League and he will be missed.”

Gordon Thomson of Clyde FC, the SPFL’s alternate director, will represent League 1 and League 2 until the SPFL’s AGM in July.

The SPFL also announced today that it is considering several issues relating to the Pyramid Play-Offs and that, as a result, it is not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season.

The SPFL understands that the Lowland League and the Highland League have each declared ‘League Champions’ for Season 2020/21, with Kelty Hearts having played just 13 games; and Brora Rangers having played only three games this season.

At its meeting on 19 April, the SPFL Board will determine whether each of Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers meet the SPFL’s Membership Criteria. Only then will the SPFL be in a position to announce the position in respect of Pyramid Play-Offs this season.

A spokesman for the SPFL said: “Given that there are a number of uncertainties, including whether League 2 clubs will play 22 or 18 games this season, we are not in a position to announce dates for Pyramid Play-Off ties this season. Whilst we understand that this lack of certainty will be disappointing to supporters of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts, it is important that we are entirely fair to all clubs, including the SPFL club that finishes bottom of League 2 this season. Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season.”
He should have went last season , corrupt as %^*& how there was no play off

Hope Brechin end up in the highland league

Thats the second time I've heard this rhat speak since he was put in the post by Desmond and his cohorts.The only other time was when he did a Q and A where he set the questions and answered them when his favourite team were gifted the tainted league last season.
Its time he was chased down the road along with his pals liewell and Doncaster.

The problem with Scottish football is its run by the clubs who will only be interested in self preservation. We will only improve when the decision makers are picked to do what's best for Scottish football (let's not kid ourselves, FF decides what's best for Rangers, not Scottish football).

Dear god! Scottish football is corrupt to the core. Why are no media OutKast’s questioning or investigating this. Utterly transparent and repugnant

"Our approach has always been to apply the Rules that have been agreed by all member clubs, as well as the Pyramid Play-Off Rules agreed between the SPFL, the Scottish FA, the Lowland League and the Highland League, and we will do so again this season.”

Rubbish. They didn't apply them last season, in order to save Brechin.

It was also leaked out that due to Brechin being likely to drop out of the SPFL, even before Covid kicked in, they tried to change the rules so that Brechin could effectively choose what league they dropped into.

Is he planning to take the team himself! As said above corrupt to the core

The problem with Scottish football is its run by the clubs who will only be interested in self preservation. We will only improve when the decision makers are picked to do what's best for Scottish football (let's not kid ourselves, FF decides what's best for Rangers, not Scottish football).
That's exactly it. And, actually, I think the clubs / companies running the clubs are legally obliged to do what's right for their business first and foremost. So you're right, we need independent people in there. The problem is we could beam administrators in from the Martian Spaceball Superleague to run the game here and people would still want to know what school they went to.

As for the Brechin clown, he's just making sure he can't be there and accused of conflicts of interest when Brechin are inevitably retained in the senior set up. Again.

Brechin City chairman Ken Ferguson has resigned from the SPFL board - just 10 days before a controversial decision which could ultimately save his club from losing their league status.

Now SPFL chiefs are facing another chaotic end to the season after admitting Kelty Hearts’ and Brora Rangers’ pathway to the pro set-up could be blocked for a second year running.

League chiefs revealed they are looking into “several issues” that could prevent the League 2 play-off from going ahead next month.

Record Sport understands SPFL chiefs are looking at the number of games fulfilled by both clubs to be named champions of their leagues. It's also believed they are studying issues relating to the ownership of Brora's ground.

Kelty and Brora - declared Lowland and Highland League champions last week after fulfilling 13 games and three games respectively - will contest the pyramid play-off in two weeks’ time. The winner is then due to face the bottom side in League 2, currently Brechin, for a place in the SPFL.

The same three clubs were involved when last season’s play-offs were scrapped due to the covid crisis. And now the two-legged tie is in doubt again after the SPFL statement said Kelty and Brora’s ability to meet league membership criteria would be decided at the April 19 meeting.

Officials from both clubs were keeping their powder dry last night while Highland League bosses were taking stock of the situation.

Record Sport understands Lowland League chiefs are surprised by the SPFL stance and intend to fight to ensure the play-off does go ahead.

Looks like a smear by the SPFL leaking theres issues over Brora’s ground yet it’s been fine for them to play there for decades, get an SFA Licence, compete in the Scottish Cup and the SPFL’s BetFred and Tunnocks Cup tournements.

Stinks to high heaven to save a Brechin or Cowdenbeath side who have stunk Scottish Football out for years now. This can’t happen again to Brora and Kelty.

Brechin City chairman Ken Ferguson has resigned from the SPFL board - just 10 days before a controversial decision which could ultimately save his club from losing their league status.

Now SPFL chiefs are facing another chaotic end to the season after admitting Kelty Hearts’ and Brora Rangers’ pathway to the pro set-up could be blocked for a second year running.

League chiefs revealed they are looking into “several issues” that could prevent the League 2 play-off from going ahead next month.

Record Sport understands SPFL chiefs are looking at the number of games fulfilled by both clubs to be named champions of their leagues. It's also believed they are studying issues relating to the ownership of Brora's ground.

Kelty and Brora - declared Lowland and Highland League champions last week after fulfilling 13 games and three games respectively - will contest the pyramid play-off in two weeks’ time. The winner is then due to face the bottom side in League 2, currently Brechin, for a place in the SPFL.

The same three clubs were involved when last season’s play-offs were scrapped due to the covid crisis. And now the two-legged tie is in doubt again after the SPFL statement said Kelty and Brora’s ability to meet league membership criteria would be decided at the April 19 meeting.

Officials from both clubs were keeping their powder dry last night while Highland League bosses were taking stock of the situation.

Record Sport understands Lowland League chiefs are surprised by the SPFL stance and intend to fight to ensure the play-off does go ahead.
That’s their whole tactic. Putting out the message that it’s unlikely the playoffs will take place.

They’ll announce it won’t happen in about 10 days time, they’ll say there isn’t any conflict of interest as Ferguson stepped down.

Corrupt to the core. I hope Rangers side with Kelty and Brora on this.

That’s their whole tactic. Putting out the message that it’s unlikely the playoffs will take place.

They’ll announce it won’t happen in about 10 days time, they’ll say there isn’t any conflict of interest as Ferguson stepped down.

Corrupt to the core. I hope Rangers side with Kelty and Brora on this.

The SPFL is unfit to govern and rotten to the core.
I'm still raging that McLennan, Doncaster and McKenzie remain in place after their lies and spin last to gift their team a title a year ago. I sincerely hope that our club is just biding it's time before we call another vote of no confidence in these arrogant shysters. The status quo remains unfortunately.
At least we have the consolation of knowing how much they're hurting at our success, emotionally and financially no doubt.

Back