Brian Rice claims over 80 per cent of dressing room players are gambling on football

ItsInTheNet

Hamilton boss Brian Rice has made a shock claim about gambling addictions in the Scottish game - saying up to 85 percent of those within a changing room are betting on football.

The Accies manager was slapped with a 10 game ban with five matches suspended after admitting to having a gambling problem and writing to the SFA to express his regret and admit guilt.

Rice was inundated with support after his admission but has now claimed the whopping number of those inside the game are gambling on their sport.

Some, he says, even use pseudonyms to hide their true identity and avoid punishment from the higher-ups.

In an interview with Lanarkshire Live Sport, Rice said: "I know for certain there is between 80-85 percent of players in dressing rooms gambling on football. Under various names, other people's names, everything.

Any way to do it and I think there's a very high percentage of young kids who have started gambling or have been caught in the grips of gambling but are scared to come forward because of the consequences.

"These kids need help, they're crying out for help. They want to stop but are afraid to stop in case they get banned or their name is on the front of the papers. I put my career on the line here, everything on the line here to do this. I hope it gives them the strength and courage to come forward and ask for this help."

It certainly would not surprise me at all. Brian Rice is a decent guy who has brave in confronting his demons in public. Time for the Authorities to look at betting companies as sponsors as it reeks of hypocrisy in terms of dishing out fines to players/managers who gamble and/or have an addiction.

I’m not saying which team so no comments asking me to please but I used to work with a lass who’s boyfriend plays in an Prem team who used to gamble on accounts set up in her name

It certainly would not surprise me at all. Brian Rice is a decent guy who has brave in confronting his demons in public. Time for the Authorities to look at betting companies as sponsors as it reeks of hypocrisy in terms of dishing out fines to players/managers who gamble and/or have an addiction.
Hypocrisy ? What a lot of nonsense, betting companies sponsor competitions so that means players have to bet ?
Players and Managers cannot bet on football, that's as simple as it gets yet they do, how does the sponsor make a difference ?
Any of them claiming this is in anyway related to their actions should take some responsibility for their own actions and not just look to make an excuse and be a victim

I think he should keep his mouth shut about others and concentrate on his own problem.

Reeks of "but they all do it as well"

There was program on bbc the other night can you beat the bookies the guy only made money on tennis court counting i think it was called he lost over 3k betting on football on three matches :oops:

They want to stop but are afraid to stop in case they get banned or their name is on the front of the papers.

Am I missing something with this? If they stop how will they end up banned or in the paper?

Think he's impying that they are actually 'addicts' but they cant admit it (councelling, gamblers anonymous etc) as then they would have to admit that they do it, although if the numbers as high as he seems to think what would happen if Everyone just admitted it, hardly going to ban the whole league and have to abandon all the games

I think he should keep his mouth shut about others and concentrate on his own problem.

Reeks of "but they all do it as well"
What a thoroughly shite statement. He’s doing something about his own problem and is simply talking here about a wider problem in football changing rooms. There’s likely a decent percentage of those gambling who he alludes to, who could do with some serious help. If his comments are enough to give them the strength to do so, then good on them and him.

Seems high not sure how he would know about other clubs but least we know none of the refs or their bosses at the sfa are gambling on the cards.

Highly charged young men with disposable cash and lots of downtime on their hands of course they are gambling.

I have no issue with it so long as they are not betting on games they can influence.

I mean what's the harm in a hamilton player betting on real madrid barca or liverpool?

I’m not saying which team so no comments asking me to please but I used to work with a lass who’s boyfriend plays in an Prem team who used to gamble on accounts set up in her name
So easy to do and I don't blame players for doing this. The demands on them are too high. Nothing can, or should, be done about a player's wife having an online account.

Common place, Jamie Redknapp was a major kickback agent back in the day after he retired.

Not surprised with this.

i used to see a Morton player in the bookies every weekend when it just opened, wouldn’t be surprised if they put an accumulater on

The problem as I see it is not that players will place bets with bookies on their own team's result or even the result of other games which they are not involved in.
The problem lies more with players placing wagers with other team members on events within the game, such as which member of their team will receive a yellow card.
However, while this is not betting on the actual result of the game, and the players may consider it acceptable to do so, it may result in behaviour that effects the result of the game.

Bet a lot of hedging win bonuses goes on too. Especially at the lower level where your income can really jump around.

ie. you bet on your team to lose or draw. If you win you get your win bonus minus stake. If you lose or draw you get your winnings (but obvs not your win bonus.) You do your sums right you’ll know exactly what you get at 5pm on Saturday.

I knew it’d be a high figure, however not quite to that extent. Fair play to him for speaking out, he’s doing it in a context as to help others, rather than justifying his own issues. Despite his problems he comes across very very well.

What is the way to stop this epidemic in society overall? Max bet limits as per FOBT’s? There’s a lot of non problem gamblers out there, however there a significant amount of people with major issues that need substantial help.

When Ian Black was getting done.
McCoist passed a notebook round
the dressing room and it was filled with names. He never made them
public.

The SFA/SPFL have a cheek to point fingers and dish out bans given the money they take from sponsorship for the 3 major competitions in Scotland

Think a six month relax of the rules would help, players can use that time to get help if needed with no threat of a ban. Caught after that then heavier punishments?

Last edited:
Reactions: TQ3
Hypocrisy ? What a lot of nonsense, betting companies sponsor competitions so that means players have to bet ?
Players and Managers cannot bet on football, that's as simple as it gets yet they do, how does the sponsor make a difference ?
Any of them claiming this is in anyway related to their actions should take some responsibility for their own actions and not just look to make an excuse and be a victim
I totally disagree! U simply cannot watch a game of football without a betting advert and if u have a problem then having it advertised in your face does. Not help IMO

When I was playing junior a few guys in my team were ex pros and they said at the tail end of every season the players in each team would get together and basically fix the game. They'd all stick a fair wedge on it and that'd cover their summer holidays. That was a few different teams they confirmed it happened at.

Back