Brian Rice - Gambling notice of complaint

Apologies if already asked , is he a bear ? seems a genuine nice guy and always talks us up. Of course that could just mean he's knowledgeable and a decent bloke but i've got a suspicious he has leanings to us.

You are right there mate. I wish Brian all the best on his road to recovery and hope the authorities support him rather than going all rule bookie about it.
See tbh if anything it makes more sense. Bookies pay the SPFL , the SPFL stamp out bookies losing money through insider tips etc. They both win, i never used to understand why the rule was there unless betting on own team. However as mentioned players have contacts throughout the game and could make arrangements with other players to split winnings etc, realistically bottom 6 teams could probably make more than their weekly wage in some cases. Studied addiction for a a few years now and must admit gambling is getting quite bad for myself, rather ironically

Apologies if already asked , is he a bear ? seems a genuine nice guy and always talks us up. Of course that could just mean he's knowledgeable and a decent bloke but i've got a suspicious he has leanings to us.
No.

I think he is probably Celtic - but maybe more aligned to Hibs after playing and coaching there.

He is a football man though. That is clear.

He is from Whitburn - and went to St Kents.

No.

I think he is probably Celtic - but maybe more aligned to Hibs after playing and coaching there.

He is a football man though. That is clear.

He is from Whitburn - and went to St Kents.
aye football man seems fair, rather refreshing as opposed to the status quo

Useless fact - but when Rice was at Nottingham Forest (under Cloughy), there was another player there from Whitburn. Terry Wilson.

I think he had to pack in early due to injury.

Some decent football people from Whitburn.

Rice
Terry Wilson
Stevie Gray (who played for Aberdeen) went to Whitburn Academy)
Danny Lennon
Trevor Smith I think (Dunfermline).

And of course........

John Lambie.

That’s why I don’t get this gambling addiction thing, there are shedloads if things he could have fed his habit betting on, just kept away from football and been fine as far as the beaks are concerned
Yes,just keep away from football.i suppose he,Joey Barton et all would reckon they know a bit about the game.thing is I doubt anyone employed in the game would have the beating of a bookie.there is a reason why they set up bookmakers.because it's a money spinner

It's help he needs not punishment. There are far bigger and more serious issues that the SFA should be addressing but appear to be unwilling tackle properly. Good luck to Brian Rice

Think it's a daft rule. Should be allowed to gamble on leagues outwith the country your working in.
SFL have a cup sponsored by a gambling company..A bit hypocritical in my opinion

Leagues sponsored by bookies. Cups sponsored by bookies. Teams sponsored by bookies. Football on TV presented by bookies. Podcasts and papers with adverts from bookies.

As long as you are not betting on games your team is involved in, let it go.

If self reporting your gambling problems brings you a ban, how does that help the issue?

Like most things in relation to football in Scotland, we are way behind the times.

Leagues sponsored by bookies. Cups sponsored by bookies. Teams sponsored by bookies. Football on TV presented by bookies. Podcasts and papers with adverts from bookies.

As long as you are not betting on games your team is involved in, let it go.

If self reporting your gambling problems brings you a ban, how does that help the issue?

Like most things in relation to football in Scotland, we are way behind the times.
So say the they let him off with it because he admitted it, then the precedent is set.
Next week thumb or whoever comes out and says he has a problem and he is seeking help, would you have been asking for him to be let off also?

Rules are rules, daft or not, could just bet on the horses or dogs instead if you they gamble.

So say the they let him off with it because he admitted it, then the precedent is set.
Next week thumb or whoever comes out and says he has a problem and he is seeking help, would you have been asking for him to be let off also?

Rules are rules, daft or not, could just bet on the horses or dogs instead if you they gamble.

I'm not suggesting we let people off with the rules. I think the rules need changed.

Really, there is no harm from betting on games not involving your team. So you might know people involved in the game, so do lots of non-players.

Re Griffiths, if he has been betting on football, so what? It's not a crime. I'd rather we won the league playing our enemies at their strongest than because they are missing games for putting on a few bets.

Admitting you have a problem and getting a punishment for it, in this instance, is absolutely ridiculous.
I think that the rule itself is the problem. If you administar punishment for it for one, it must be done for all. I agree with you're point though.

Shows how backwards Scottish football is. Potentially getting a fine when he should be given support by the SFA

Rules need updating/changed. Maybe even have it that they can't bet on football in this country for example.

Surely he just needs to make reference to some vague, unspecified mental health issue to escape punishment? It worked for Leigh Griffiths.

I'm not suggesting we let people off with the rules. I think the rules need changed.

Really, there is no harm from betting on games not involving your team. So you might know people involved in the game, so do lots of non-players.

Re Griffiths, if he has been betting on football, so what? It's not a crime. I'd rather we won the league playing our enemies at their strongest than because they are missing games for putting on a few bets.

but it is a breach of the rules.
i wouldnt be against a rule change in future but this rule was adopted for a reason

but it is a breach of the rules.
i wouldnt be against a rule change in future but this rule was adopted for a reason

To clarify, I agree, until rules are changed, they need to be enforced. I'm just saying I don't believe the existing rules are fit for purpose and would like to see a change.

Back