Bruno Alves

CaptainCourageous

In terms of what he’s brought to the team; leadership, discipline, organiser, ability... he’s this season’s Joey Barton.

What an absolute let down.

He seems a bit to casual on the ball sometimes almost like he can't be bothered.

No pace. He gave Nemane a high ball late on, he got out jumped (no surprise there) and they broke and nearly scored. No great loss if he leaves.

Disagree, he’s been a massive upgrade on what we had. We’re just going through the “berate every member of staff” routine we see after every game where points are dropped.

His defending out with heading a ball has been poor. We saw that again tonight.

Disagree, he’s been a massive upgrade on what we had. We’re just going through the “berate every member of staff” routine we see after every game where points are dropped.

Agreed

For all the talk of Caixinha "woo'ing" him here, I genuinely don't think Alves arsed whether he stays or not. He always cuts a frustrated figure out there and clearly isn't happy with how the team are set out. Like, he just constantly looks frustrated at how we're being told to play

He does t rate Pedro.

Hasn’t done for weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised at that, as posted above

You wonder what a guy of his pedigree - a winner - must think of Caixinha's bluster and "warrior" talk in press conferences. He must be thinking "what planet is this character on" given the actual reality of the situation

He just strolls around, ball watching most of the time, doesn't look as if he wants to be out there. I don't think I've seen him put in one sliding challenge since he got here. Good in the air, but looks as if he can't be arsed.

He got ripped apart by their number 11 tonight.

It's one of two things. His legs have gone or he regrets coming here/doesn't rate Pedro. Or maybe it's a little bit of both.

Agreed

For all the talk of Caixinha "woo'ing" him here, I genuinely don't think Alves arsed whether he stays or not. He always cuts a frustrated figure out there and clearly isn't happy with how the team are set out. Like, he just constantly looks frustrated at how we're being told to play

As above, there’s strong rumours he thinks Pedro’s a donkey.

People had mental expectations on what Alves would offer because of his experience and past, but fact is he’s nearly 36 and past his best, and while Scottish football is terrible from a technical viewpoint, it’s very physical so realistically no ageing defender will walk in with no experience in this league and “stroll it”. Especially not in a shite team like ours.

He was impressive away to St Johnstone. Terrible in the following two games.

People had mental expectations on what Alves would offer because of his experience and past, but fact is he’s nearly 36 and past his best, and while Scottish is terrible from a technical viewpoint, it’s very physical so realistically no ageing defender will walk in with no experience in this league and “stroll it”. Especially not in a shite team like ours.

Also spot on there mate. Folk were describing him as "world class", which he never was even at his peak I still think he's been decent so far though, probably one of the few highlights even if we're allowed to expect a bit more

A man living off his reputation.

Cagliari were more than happy to let him go and you can see why.

There's no doubting his pedigree but i've yet to see him have a stand out match in a Rangers jersey.

In terms of what he’s brought to the team; leadership, discipline, organiser, ability... he’s this season’s Joey Barton.

What an absolute let down.

Spot on.

His ‘how dare you foul me’ act in the 2nd half had more than a hint of Barton about it.

Another one who wrongly thought he’d get the pipe and slippers out in his league in my opinion.

Spot on.

His ‘how dare you foul me’ act in the 2nd half had more than a hint of Barton about it.

Another one who wrongly thought he’d get the pipe and slippers out in his league in my opinion.

He probably didn’t expect to witness the shambles of how his team are treated by officials in this country.

People had mental expectations on what Alves would offer because of his experience and past, but fact is he’s nearly 36 and past his best, and while Scottish football is terrible from a technical viewpoint, it’s very physical so realistically no ageing defender will walk in with no experience in this league and “stroll it”. Especially not in a shite team like ours.

Rumours from where? Or are you just throwing that out there with no substance?

What a load of shite

Scattergun approach on here it seems with plenty of nonsense

Alves has been a massive upgrade.

He is the least of our worries ffs
A massive upgrade? Really??
Reputation wise, yes. Performance wise no.
He isn’t doing anything that Clint Hill wasn’t.

He is not interested, he came here to keep fit for next year's World Cup for his 100th cap. Slight injury against Partick Thistle fcuks off before the celtic game the following week he is in full training with Portugal.

He came here thinking he would stroll it and not break sweat, he didn't bank on Scottish football not evolving from primary school stuff. The only attribute you need is to be able to kick the ball the way you are facing and chase it for 90 minutes.

Stood square on with their number 11 and the lad just went past him really poor basic defending from such a experienced player.

He's been fine. Saying he's this years Barton is just beyond idiotic. Barton wasn't a leader in the first place.

People always need to say oh the shirt is too big for them or oh they don't care to try and slag players when you know that you don't have a legitimate argument to make against the players. Very rarely is it actually true though. People just have unrealistic expectations of players and when they're no doing quite as well as the unrealistic expectations people like you set on them you then start spouting bullshit about why that is

I think he’s outstanding. He’s the best defender in the league byba distance.
One man can’t defend everything when no one in front of him offers any protection.

Big Clint might argue that point...

He’s been ok, that’s all I can say

He goes for balls in the air and he goes all or nothing, even when he wins them he’s on the deck and out of position

Some of his passing is great

He’s just ok in my opinion, nothing special

Back