Bruno going to World Cup

I literally said why they picked him. Ex-pi-ri-ence. It’s the same reason he went to the Euros too.
It's interesting, working in London I have a lot of Portuguese colleagues. They think he's a big hard bastard and love him in the team. Better tell them there's a Scottish FF poster who can put them all right on that front. I'll bet they'll be appreciative of that :D

Always thought Bruno got it unduly tight. Superior to Wilson and Martin this year.

Think Cardoso has had short shrift as well. Wouldn't mind Bruno staying but mostly for experience and as a bench option. Can't see him being interested tbh.

First half of the season we looked a better side with Alves in the team but he just seems so creaky now. Looks to be struggling to get through games. Not his fault, age catches up with every player.

Yet he couldn't get a start ahead of Martin or Bates under Murty and Nicholl.

Ridiculous.

I hope he performs well when called upon and wins a move away. Unless Steven Gerrard fancies him as 3rd or 4th choice?

Hope he comes back and plays a blinder for us next season because he isn’t saving himself for the World Cup!

Good on Big Bruno and the same goes to all our players who are competing in the world cup ,Eh ! big Bruno is the ONLY one ? Well done to the big man I hope he enjoys it. :)

3rd if one of the first 2 get injured but my god how bad are the CBs n Portugal if he keeps getting picked lol.

A lot of bears seem to think he was going to be like Ronaldo or something. He's a no nonsense centre half who perhaps needs a partner with a bit more pace. Easily our best defender and the way he's been used this season has been ridiculous. Murty wanted his pal Russell playing and that was that.

$8,530 x number of days the player is at the tournament ( includes 14 days prior to the opening game day and one day after they exit) / 2 ( paid for the 2 seasons prior to the tournament- 1 @ Cagliari, 1 @ Rangers). So if Portugal make it through the group stage, the earliest they can be eliminated is June 30th, so minimum payment to Rangers is $136,480 in that case. If they make it past that, it’s another $4,265 per day. Hopefully we filed the application.....

Thanks Bruno.

Last edited:
We have a player going to the world cup with a decent team
Instead of being pleased with that it appears some feel the need to be negative
At best they have been brainwashed by an agenda driven press into believing he is no good
A tactic that seemed to work on our ex manager who somehow believed Russell Martin was better
If he was Portuguese Russell Martin would not be going to the world cup unless it was to cut the oranges at half time

He’s taken a lot of shit from some of the helmets in our support. Especially with regards to the completely unjustified accusations of faking injuries.

I think many expected him to stroll it and just didn’t grasp that he’s an aging centre half, physically declining and probably needs a decent pacy defender next to him along with a half decent team and a proper football manager. We’ve had none of these this season, and as shite as the SPL is, it’s fast paced so for slower players it can be a tricky transition.

We’d have probably finished 2nd if he’d been chosen ahead of that clown Martin, thanks again for that Murty.

I think you might be wrong there
I hope so. Left exposed he looks his age. Given some protection in a well-set up team and he’s a good player.

Fact of the matter is if he started instead of Martin on those two games v the filth we wouldn’t have taken two tankings.

Congrats to Bruno, great to have a Rangers player at the World Cup! :cool:

Must admit I thought he had no chance. Even playing regularly and well for us I thought he would have still struggled to get picked. They can't have much options if a guy his age not even getting a game in the SPL makes their squad.

Well done to him though, always good to have Rangers players at the World Cup or the Euro's.
I’m sure he must have spoken to the manager and got the lay of the land before agreeing to come here.

Cant fathom how Martin got in ahead of him

Utterly bizarre. We'll never know but continually selecting the woeful Martin may well have cost us the 2nd place.

BTW I think Alves will get game time at the WC. Portugal have tried younger players and permutations at CB but keep coming back to Alves. It seems to work for the player and the team.

He is probably the only player at the World Cup who will be glad he won't come up against Simon Murray in any of the games...

Quite amazing that he still gets picked after having a fairly poor season however he is much better suited to being in a team which parks the bus rather than playing beside our attacking full backs.

Thought a serious lack of game time would count against him but it does show you how highly regarded Alves is amongst the Portuguese coaches.

One of the strangest themes of this season has been the preference of Martin over Alves. That being said, unless we were going to set up in the style of Walter Smith (in order to accommodate the ageing Davie Weir), the big man was always going to find it tough through his lack of mobility.

Hope so stays another season

How much will Rangers receive for his involvement at WC do we know the exact figure?

***edit just seen, for every day a player is at the WC, their club receives around $9000.

multiplied by the number of days each player is at the World Cup, starting two weeks before the Opening Match until the day following the last match of his team (total per player). The total per player is then distributed to the club (s) with which the player was registered in the previous 2 years.

Utterly bizarre. We'll never know but continually selecting the woeful Martin may well have cost us the 2nd place.

BTW I think Alves will get game time at the WC. Portugal have tried younger players and permutations at CB but keep coming back to Alves. It seems to work for the player and the team.

Judging by reddit the Portuguese lads seem to think he is reliable and want him to start against Spain ahead of their new younger CB Ruben Dias

Hope so stays another season

How much will Rangers receive for his involvement at WC do we know the exact figure?

***edit just seen, for every day a player is at the WC, their club receives around $9000.

multiplied by the number of days each player is at the World Cup, starting two weeks before the Opening Match until the day following the last match of his team (total per player). The total per player is then distributed to the club (s) with which the player was registered in the previous 2 years.

Last part of that is a bummer. Means, effectively, we only get $4500 a day rather than $9000 because his previous club will get a cut.

Back