Butland looking like a bag of jaggies

Live Forever

Official Ticketer
Particularly with ball at his feet and dealing with pass backs.

In fairness to him I wouldn’t have much confidence in the defensive line in front of him just now, but it’s very noticeable and different from his usual assured displays.

The shot in the first minute he let go by the post was a heart in the mouth moment. Latterly in the game, a shot going wide and he puts it out for a corner. Think he actually tried to catch it, but fumbled it.

Doesn’t seem confident coming off his line anymore, not good with the ball at his feet (appreciate the pitch doesn’t help) and he’s just looked shaky the past few weeks.

Players have dips in form, I’m sure he’ll come through it.

My gripe and it’s not me having a go - I wish he could turn more shots past the post as opposed to parrying back out into danger area

As good as Butland has been, he has been really poor lately.
I just can't understand how near enough every player has lost form, looks tired and also have no confidence.
How can this impact near enough an entire team????

The shot in the first minute he let go by the post was a heart in the mouth moment. Latterly in the game, a shot going wide and he puts it out for a corner. Think he actually tried to catch it, but fumbled it.

Doesn’t seem confident coming off his line anymore, not good with the ball at his feet (appreciate the pitch doesn’t help) and he’s just looked shaky the past few weeks.

Aye there was a moment in the second half when a ball over the top actually landed in the 18 yard box and he just stayed put waiting for Souttar to head it back to him who was under pressure from the attacker. All he had to do was come out and collect it.

Sweeper keeper certainly isn't one of his strengths, never stands high enough ready for long balls.

don’t know what happened to him remember when he was first here. Shouting at defenders organised everything at the back. Controlled his 6 yard box. He’s faced about 10 easy shots on target concerning 6 in the last 3 games n he looks like he accepts it. Looks like the attitude of some of the other players are rubbing off on him.

No wonder, he knows that even if the opposition get the ball inside their own half with our outfield all behind the ball, we are either just going to be cut open with passes or a have a long ball played over the top that our defence cannot deal with and there will be a shot on goal or at the least pressure at the back.

He has absolutely know protection from the defence or midfield. Half of our outfield look like their head has completely gone.

Don’t think he done anything wrong last night tbf. I do think he should’ve done better with some goals recently. A couple of the goals against them, and against Ross County as well he should’ve done better, pretty sure it was the second goal.

What I’ve noticed from day one was his “positioning” is suspect he is always deep in his box, he looks like how McGregor ended, scared to come out always back peddling. There has been loads of instances a ball played long and if he is on the edge of his box like most other keepers are/should be he comes out sweeps up. However invariably he goes the opposite way and lets be honest our defence are the worst in the league facing their own goal.

Tav rightly gets the criticism for Celtics first goal the other week, but if Butland is on the edge of his box he is ten yards from the ball, Maeda has ran thirty because there is indecision. There seems no trust/communication from Butland to defence recently.

His shot stopping has also been suspect recently, we got away with one last night, but a routine save palmed straight out again like two on Sunday but luckily they were offside.

The defence doesn’t make it easy for him whatsoever he typically gets giving awkward or bouncing balls a lot of the time.

There was one point, around 70minutes, where Goldson chipped a pass at pace back to him that he had to quickly control and get rid of.

It made no sense.

In fairness to him I wouldn’t have much confidence in the defensive line in front of him just now, but it’s very noticeable and different from his usual assured displays.
I said the same after the Ross County game.
Stuck on his line, not coming to collect through balls, even the bog standard saves he's making he's putting it straight to opposition players.
Somethings not right but as you said could be playing behind that defence maby?

It’s his reluctance to come from his line that is starting to Piss me off and I don’t mean coming for crosses.

he was beaten by the shot, he didn't let it go

It’s his reluctance to come from his line that is starting to Piss me off and I don’t mean coming for crosses.
He almost got Goldson in a bit of bother last night when he went to come, but stopped. Sums us up at the moment.

The whole thing has gone to shit. His form has dipped as well
That’s the strength of it.

I’ve no idea what caused this. Going from nine league wins on the trot including Kilmarnock home and away losing four goals in total, to winning one of the next five, two of those against bottom six teams, losing nine goals.

Butland definitely has become poorer with his distribution recently for sure. He’s the least of the defensive problems but he isn’t where he has been most of the season. I wonder if the whole England call up thing got to him any ?

Aye there was a moment in the second half when a ball over the top actually landed in the 18 yard box and he just stayed put waiting for Souttar to head it back to him who was under pressure from the attacker. All he had to do was come out and collect it.

Sweeper keeper certainly isn't one of his strengths, never stands high enough ready for long balls.
all this talk about a keeper who comes for the ball unlike Macgregor is a lot of shite, Butlands feet are nailed to the goal line . When has he ever caught a cross ?

Butland had been brilliant but since the England call up noise he has been average at best.

Hibs game when the ball ran across the line and he got tackled has spooked him I think and now he just wants rid of it.

Something people either don't understand or just ignore. The pitch was a shambles last night and it makes playing any sort of decent football difficult.

Not that I'm excusing the performance.
We’re u at the ground DH88 I did wonder how it was I only had tv

Did you see the surface last night?

Only thing I would say is some costly 2nd ball opportunities seem to be being offered up recently but I’m a person who knows goalkeeping and whether it’s just coincidence or performance levels have changed

Or whether defenders ain’t collectively covering the goal with JB rather they are operating in ones

Back