Caixinha backs IFAB plans for clock only ticking when the ball is in play

Bonnyloyal

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha has backed proposals to radically redraw football rules and have games played over two 30-minute halves with the clock only ticking when the ball is in play.
The idea is among a raft of changes being put forward by rule-makers the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to reduce time-wasting and make games more entertaining. “We need to change something in football to give the supporters more pleasure, and one of the ways to do that would be to have the ball in play more,” said the Portuguese coach, who is bemused that the multi-ball system isn’t used in Scottish football for that purpose.
“The last studies I read, right now for a high-intensity English Premier League game the actual time of the ball [being] in play is about 55 to 57 minutes, so with the changes it would be more.” Caixinha believes the ability to break up play with stoppages, and so reduce the time a team has to keep out an opponent, has made football “more defensive and more physical”.
He pointed to the recent example of Andorra, understandably in being ranked 144th in the world, putting “about 20 men behind the ball” to frustrate his native Portuguese national side in a recent World Cup encounter.
“The evolution of football has come along with changes in the rules and for us as coaches that means we can look for new strategies and ways for the game to be played,” he said, with reference to the effect of recent alterations in the offside rule and for sanctions to deal with certain type of challenges.
These modifications represent only tinkering around the edges for Caixinha, though, and he is convinced football is lagging behind other sports when it comes updating and revitalising itself.
“The IFAB have been the ones across the rule-makers of all sports that have been the most traditional and against change,” he said. “For example, look at rugby. That has had such a progression and evolution.
We haven’t had that in football, the people’s sport, because the rules have more or less stayed the same for ever.” IFAB’s proposed changes are outlined in a strategy document titled Play Fair! Adopting two halves of 30 minutes with the clock stopped when the ball goes out of play is just one of several ideas put forward in an attempt to make football more attractive. IFAB says the Fair Play! document has three aims – to improve player behaviour and increase respect, to increase playing time and to increase fairness and attractiveness.

“Many people are very frustrated that a typical 90-minute match has fewer than 60 minutes of effective [actual] playing time ie when the ball is in play,” IFAB said. “The strategy proposes measures to reduce time-wasting and ‘speed up’ the game.” IFAB is made up of world football’s governing body, FIFA, and the four British home football associations and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...acks-change-to-two-30-minute-halves-1-4587140

Referees would also have to crack down on player's who deliberately feign injury to stop a game.

In the old days where sky put the ball in play stats on at full time (mid 90s) there was an old firm game at 48 minutes. (I think).

change can be positive. I do worry about who is making the changes. Is it people who pay to watch live football or is it owners, administrators who are more interested in Armchair fans?

How to improve the game? Lots of ideas on this

1. At a throw in, allow the ball to be thrown in by any means, one handed or otherwise.

2. all bye kicks to be taken from the penalty spot to stop the goalie running around from one side to the other.

3. Extend the 18 yard line full width and no offside beyond that line. ( we trialled this before )

4. Blow for offside immediately if deemed interfering with play.

5. Finish all drawn cup ties with a sudden death penalty shoot out.

6. When a player is substituted make him go off the field at the nearest point of exit.

7. Allow physio on to attend injured player and restart the game as they do in rugby.

8. Increase the height and width of the goals. Maybe 6 inches higher and 1 foot wider. Players are taller and goalkeepers in particular are about 6 inches taller than they were 50 years ago.

9. Introduce the VAR system asap

10. red cards should result in a ban that also includes missing the next game against opponents involved in red card.

11. ENFORCE the 6 second rule of goalies to release the ball after catching it.

I like the idea. Watching teams come to Ibrox and time waste pisses me off as a paying customer. Teams won't do this as there is no advantage and they might actually play football.

Will never happen as it would be hard to adopt that change into grassroots football

Had this debate a few years back with OTL.
The thing is, we already have different laws of the game all the way through the levels of football.
Different sizes of pitches, amount of officials.
Moving up to something as basic as multi ball use.
It's not as if a game, as in time on the pitch, is going to be longer.

Football isn’t broken and doesn’t need fixed.

Wish we could just leave it be.

Browken is maybe too strong a word but time wasting has become much more of a problem in the last 10 years or so. As Rangers fans we see this more than most!

I would like to see this trialled.

change can be positive. I do worry about who is making the changes. Is it people who pay to watch live football or is it owners, administrators who are more interested in Armchair fans?

1. At a throw in, allow the ball to be thrown in by any means, one handed or otherwise.

2. all bye kicks to be taken from the penalty spot to stop the goalie running around from one side to the other.

3. Extend the 18 yard line full width and no offside beyond that line. ( we trialled this before )

6. When a player is substituted make him go off the field at the nearest point of exit.

7. Allow physio on to attend injured player and restart the game as they do in rugby.

8. Increase the height and width of the goals. Maybe 6 inches higher and 1 foot wider. Players are taller and goalkeepers in particular are about 6 inches taller than they were 50 years ago.

10. red cards should result in a ban that also includes missing the next game against opponents involved in red card.

I like your thinking but on item 1, there should be a 10m exclusion zone to allow the throw in to be taken. You actually penalised when you have a throw-in as they have a man advantage.

What's a stopwatch?:rolleyes:

notsure-1.jpg

But just in case...

71_AJj_FBOBn_L.png

I like the idea. Watching teams come to Ibrox and time waste pisses me off as a paying customer. Teams won't do this as there is no advantage and they might actually play football.

While I can't say I'm particularly excited by the proposal, the time wasting is fuckin awful, especially when we were in the lower leagues. I made a point of using the stppwatch on my phone one time we played Livingston and around 14 minutes were wasted just at goal kicks and throw insit for Livi! I will also never forget watching their keeper catch a cross and hold onto it for 23 seconds before punting it

What's the point in number 10?

Some good ideas there.
Number 1 though, I'd do away with throw ins altogether.
Unless you have a Rory Delap on the pitch, a throw in is a disavantage.
Number 7, If a player must leave the field either allow an injury sub, or the player who committed the foul goes off too
Teams going down to ten players because of a thug on the other side is a fùcking joke.

I'd love to see an end to the obstruction that leads to so many goal kicks.
The ball is trundling out 15 yards from the line and the defenders always get away with blocking it until it eventually rolls out.
I've only ever once seen a free kick given for it, it'll surprise no-one who it was given against.

Why are people terrified of change? We trialed the golden goal, it wasn't popular so it got ditched. If we try this new initiative and its not popular then we go back to the way it was.
I remember the panic when the rule was changed to stop the keeper picking the ball up from a pass from his own player. I'm sure those who are old enough to remember this will admit it was a change for the better.
No change is forever, if the stop the clock thing don't work.... Then ditch it!

What's the point in number 10?
Player gets sent off in the last minute for violent conduct.
The next 3 opponents get the benefit of him missing out.
The team on the pitch when it occured get no real advantage.

That's my guess anyway.

While I can't say I'm particularly excited by the proposal, the time wasting is fuckin awful, especially when we were in the lower leagues. I made a point of using the stppwatch on my phone one time we played Livingston and around 14 minutes were wasted just at goal kicks and throw insit for Livi! I will also never forget watching their keeper catch a cross and hold onto it for 23 seconds before punting it
I'm pretty sure we were 5-0 against Raith Rovers and they were still timewasting.
Derek Stillie on the last day of 2003 fànnying about with a goal kick after 20 seconds always stuck in my mind.

Tv schedules would never allow this happen, not knowing when a match would be finished is a non starter .
Maybe just scrap half hour post game analysis from Sutton and co trying to convince viewers Rangers should have had 3 men sent off .... As far as I can see the arguments against it are weak.

Tv schedules would never allow this happen, not knowing when a match would be finished is a non starter .
Is there a natural buffer in the hours of post match chatter - just flex that to fit
May be a problem for a couple of terrestrial channels but in the digital age of hundreds of tv channelsIm sure they could figures something out. Or just stop showing games which would have very little impact on football anyway

Rubbish, sky are sometimes on for an hour after games discussing them. Games are not going to be significantly longer than the 90 invites, and once players figure out that time wasting doesn't work they may even be shorter.

Time wasting is a legitimate, if frustrating, tactic. Football is a game of a fixed time period and the object is to score a goal in that time. You're allowed to deploy strategies to stop that happening. I wouldn't even have the added on time you get now. 90 minutes - it's not difficult. If you don't score, that's your problem.

These complaints tend to come from the bigger club and countries upset they don't get the entire game set up to ensure they win.

Please god no.

Can Imagine a midweek game at Pittodrie finishing at 22.30.

Last game title deciders kicking off at the same time would hand the advantage to the game that's finishing last

Rubbish, sky are sometimes on for an hour after games discussing them. Games are not going to be significantly longer than the 90 invites, and once players figure out that time wasting doesn't work they may even be shorter.
The Guardian wrote an article on this subject 5 or 6 years ago.
You state that the games won't be significantly longer , see below and you might be surprised.

Play full matches
Football authorities are swindling you with institutionalised theft. They advertise 90-minute matches and that's what you pay for – but you only get about two-thirds of that. Because of relentless faffing about by players, the average amount of time that the ball has been in play in Premier League matches this season is 62min 39sec.

That, including stoppage time, means you spend over half an hour watching players roll on the floor, line up walls, trudge off the pitch and laugh in your unsuspecting face as they celebrate goals (imagine if a taxi driver stopped his cab, jumped out and danced on the pavement for a couple of minutes while the meter kept running: would you get out and jig along with him, you fools?). And if you went to watch Blackburn-Stoke this season, you also got to watch Rory Delap repeatedly drying a ball. For about 10 minutes (in that match the ball was in play for only 50:04min).

The solution is simple: next season the referee must kill the clock whenever the ball is not on the pitch and moving. It is galling that fourth officials always indicate about one minute of time added on at the end of the first half and around four at the end of the second. It should be at least 15 in both.

I quite like the sound of the 30 minute halfs with the clock stopping. I'm fed up seeing teams take 20 or 30 seconds on throw ins, free kicks. The goal keeper taking ages retrieving the ball for a goal kick only for the referee to add 3 minutes at the end.

It would be a lot simpler to apply one new rule.
If there is a throw in or foul for team A only a player from team A can touch the ball once the whistle has been blown to award the throw in or foul. If a player from team B touches the ball again before the throw in or foul has been taken they would get a yellow card. It would instantly prevent player mucking about by taking the ball for a walk or picking it up and should speed up the game.

I am all for stopping the clock like they do in Rugby. Think it's impossible to stop time wasting or people breaking up the play bur they should be able to add the time on correctly rather than the Refs standard 3 or 4 mins.
This idea seems pointless though, currently we have the ball in play for about 55 mins out of the 90, so with this we get an extra 5 mins. How is that stopping the cheating? Stop the clock for any injuries or time wasting and make them play 90mins. I would also give them a set time to take free kicks, goal kicks etc , if they go over it then the clock stops, if they continually go over it then the ball is given to the opposition.

The rules were like this whilst I was playing at the collegiate level in USA. Whenever the ball went out of play for a goal kick, free kick, goal, or substitution the clock stopped. I think for throw ins the clock kept going down.

The games weren't significantly longer and I remember thinking it would be much better if it were like this back in Scotland. Also, once the clock hit 90 minutes the game was finished. So you knew exactly how much time you had left as opposed to guessing how much (or how little) the ref was going to add on.

Some people just don't like change but it would stop time wasting which is one of the most frustrating aspects of football.

I guess the thing about amateur level, if you stopped the clock every time the ball was out of play you'd end up playing for hours. However, this rule change for the professionals makes total sense and I hope it goes through sooner rather than later.

Football isn’t broken and doesn’t need fixed.

Wish we could just leave it be.
Disagree.
Yesterday 5 minutes injury time added to Preston game. Preston concede an equalizer at 5 minutes and 20 seconds added time while their Manager argues with the Referees to stop the game. Even though there were no stoppages etc. to add to the injury time.

This move Caixinha backed would stop that happening to Rangers.

Plus two 30 minute-halves would be intense football and stop players tiring etc. while probably being more enjoyable to watch

The amount of cramp footballers appear to get would decrease too.... strange that eh?

Perfectly simple idea that should be implemented, see Patrick thistle where the player throws the ball into the stand a ridiculous time wasting tactic .
Teams would have to play football on the pitch to see out a result.

Back