Can we afford what we require?

Muay Bouk

أنا لا أحب البابا
Staff member
That team/squad as it currently stands is still 6-7 good quality signings away from being able to challenge for a league title. Last night watching us try to break down that Dundee team was soul destroying as its blatantly obvious we lack creativity in most parts of the field.

I think Gerrard needs another 12-15 million quid to spend on Rangers players and I say that because I genuinely feel that the loan signings have to stop, in the main they have been poor and I question wether any loan signing actually gives you 100% at any time.

The question is will the board dig deep to finance this spend, will the litigation with that fat slug Ashley come to an end meaning we can see the benefit of the supporters spend on strips etc or will we sell a prized asset like Morelos to possibly bring in another 6-7 players, if 2 million pounds gets you the quality of Grezda and Barisic I would suggest we have to be spending double that on a number of players to challenge for a title.

While patience is important I personally think if we don't stop them in the next two years I'm not sure when we will. January is important for us and that's not great as its a crap time to be spending and prices are usually at a premium.

Steven Davis
Steven Naismith
Dominic Solanke ( loan )
Jordan Jones

We should be able to afford these players and I believe they'd improve our title challenge.

This is the biggest problem Rangers face to compete for domestic and European trophies. If we don't have the funds forget winning anything. Up to the board in the summer to spend at least £8 million on the full squad to ensure we put up a real challenge as I can't see us buying in January. A few youth players loaned in but no spending.

That team/squad as it currently stands is still 6-7 good quality signings away from being able to challenge for a league title. Last night watching us try to break down that Dundee team was soul destroying as its blatantly obvious we lack creativity in most parts of the field.

I think Gerrard needs another 12-15 million quid to spend on Rangers players and I say that because I genuinely feel that the loan signings have to stop, in the main they have been poor and I question wether any loan signing actually gives you 100% at any time.

The question is will the board dig deep to finance this spend, will the litigation with that fat slug Ashley come to an end meaning we can see the benefit of the supporters spend on strips etc or will we sell a prized asset like Morelos to possibly bring in another 6-7 players, if 2 million pounds gets you the quality of Grezda and Barisic I would suggest we have to be spending double that on a number of players to challenge for a title.

While patience is important I personally think if we don't stop them in the next two years I'm not sure when we will. January is important for us and that's not great as its a crap time to be spending and prices are usually at a premium.

I don't think we need six or seven players. This team has showed it can be good. There's obviously other problems somewhere. And I think some players need a certain type of other around them. Eg katic is better than Worrall, goldson is better with katic. There's two of your seven. The whole team can work better with an engine room midfielder and somebidy creative. That will automatically improve others. We are a bit lost but I think we are a bit lost because we are two or three players short.

It is the responsibility of the Rangers Board to make available the funds necessary to the Rangers manager to get the players required to win the League.
I have said before on this forum that we need between 30-50 million invested in the team and club.
There is a 50 million financial gap between us and them. Until that gap is closer we will not challenge
It is the elephant in the room and it will not go away

Attacking mid & creative striker bare minimum.. i would also prefer a holding mid who can contribute to the odd goal.. do we even have a player who can score from outside the box ? The gaffer needs 2 more windows to get it right. Morelos needs to finish on a high for the season to get top $$ and cut out this red card p!sh otherwise the fee will take a hit.

Win on thursday and our season looks entirely different.

We could be Scotland's only representative in the EL after Xmas.

Very few if none of us expected to be in the last 32 of it.

In the games remaining in December, we must win them all now.

That would see us top the League going into the New Year and January transfer window with the yahoos game in hand not played until 2019 sometime.

The next 3 weeks could possibly see us last 32 EL and top of SPFL with the squad strengthened while in a position of real strength.

All the above is possible, just takes belief and desire.

This is the biggest problem Rangers face to compete for domestic and European trophies. If we don't have the funds forget winning anything. Up to the board in the summer to spend at least £8 million on the full squad to ensure we put up a real challenge as I can't see us buying in January. A few youth players loaned in but no spending.

If we don't spend on a number 10 and another striker 10 then we will be struggling to finish in second place, its that simple.

Gerrad also has to stop his continuous tinkering with the back 4, The back 4 should be Barisic, Goldson, Katic, Tav.

That would see us top the League going into the New Year and January transfer window with the yahoos game in hand not played until 2019 sometime.

The next 3 weeks could possibly see us last 32 EL and top of SPFL with the squad strengthened while in a position of real strength.

There is not a set of fans with more belief and desire than the Rangers support, that is not unfortunately what will win us a league title, it will of course help having unwavering support but a talented squad of players and a talented manager is what wins us a league title and we are not there yet.

There is not a set of fans with more belief and desire than the Rangers support, that is not unfortunately what will win us a league title, it will of course help having unwavering support but a talented squad of players and a talented manager is what wins us a league title and we are not there yet.

I agree with that and the need for play maker along with a striker.

The squad needs a couple of new players, our hit list has to be a good one.

I've put forward Marcus Maddison at Peterborough for our play maker.

Guy can play a wide range of passes including the killer through ball and smash it in the pokey on a regular basis from 18 yards and beyond.

Fu(k snobbery, he has all the talent to do that consistently and Ibrox the stage he's waiting for I think.

A million would get him and wages wouldn't be high, mid twenties age wise so if he turns it on for us, his value rockets.

I see him as low risk, high potential reward.

Will push us forward at every turn also.

Ideal for us.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/marcus-maddison-im-a-rangers-man.51708/#post-2424640

To me it seems like Gerrard will be looking for a creative midfielder, another striker and maybe cover at left back. We’re covered till the summer everywhere else including captain !!!!!

We were never going to turn the shambles of the past few seasons around in one transfer window. Never. We won't turn it around in two windows either. After three, so next season, I'd hope to start to see some real, genuine signs of improvement with better quality throughout the team. We simply don't have a billionaire sugar daddy to turn to in the boardroom. We have a group of very successful businessmen who are wealthy, but not to the extent they can throw tens of millions of pounds about like loose change. It'll take time. That's the reality.

We don’t need a complete overhaul and huge investment! A midfielder who can create chances and a backup striker for when Morelos is out. That’s it. Stop this nonsense experiment with loanees, stop tinkering with the formation and get a bit discipline in the team and we’re sorted. Keep the spine of McGreggor, Goldson, Katic, Barasic, Arfield, Grezda and Morelos for at least three games unchanged. That leaves four positions to rotate around Tav and Flannigan (RB), Jack OR Coulibaly OR Rossiter (never two of them), McRorie, Ejaria, Kent, Candeias, Lafferty, Middleton and Dallas.

We need to stop with the illusion that we will put up with the hot and cold of creative players. We as a support simply wont. Most creative guys don't work nearly hard enough and they'll simply get it tight off the support when they don't track back, tackle or put themselves about.

All said and done mate but do the players have the belief and desire to win the remaining games in dec as the manager said they couldn’t carry out simple instructions against Aberdeen and the worst team in the league Dundee , I totally agree with you at your saying but I don’t think some of our players have got what it takes mate

Realistically no. The latest wage figures show that they are paying double the amount in wages that we are. Now I appreciate that they have a bigger squad than us and that we could probably bridge the gap slightly if we make a series of shrewd signings combined with good management/tactics. However, over the course of a season never mind a coupe of seasons it is unlikely that we will be able to compete with them due to the financial gap. Added to that is the problem that they have a manager at the moment who is able to get a lot from his players and wring every drop of talent from then (Ryan Christie being the latest example)

I think we have to appreciate that were on a slow rebuild process and that results like those of the past week area natural part of that process as infuriating as that is.

To get the players we need will cost a lot, I don’t think we have the cash for that. I think we will try to buy a few in the summer and again supplement the squad with loans. What we need to make sure is that the loans are higher quality and more experienced, no more untested youth players. Think the positions below are the priority.

Central midfielder
Attacking midfielder
Winger
Striker

To get the players we need will cost a lot, I don’t think we have the cash for that. I think we will try to buy a few in the summer and again supplement the squad with loans. What we need to make sure is that the loans are higher quality and more experienced, no more untested youth players. Think the positions below are the priority.

Central midfielder
Attacking midfielder
Winger
Striker
No more loans. We need to buy our own players, develop them and sell them for higher prices. That’s what will move us forward and expedite a title challenge. Having 3-4 of other people’s players in our sides most weeks only slows things down.

Attacking mid & creative striker bare minimum.. i would also prefer a holding mid who can contribute to the odd goal.. do we even have a player who can score from outside the box ? The gaffer needs 2 more windows to get it right. Morelos needs to finish on a high for the season to get top $$ and cut out this red card p!sh otherwise the fee will take a hit.
I would like a holding midfielder who can actually pass forwards

We were never going to turn the shambles of the past few seasons around in one transfer window. Never. We won't turn it around in two windows either. After three, so next season, I'd hope to start to see some real, genuine signs of improvement with better quality throughout the team. We simply don't have a billionaire sugar daddy to turn to in the boardroom. We have a group of very successful businessmen who are wealthy, but not to the extent they can throw tens of millions of pounds about like loose change. It'll take time. That's the reality.
We can properly judge Gerrard after next summer transfers window which buy that time he will of had 3 windows to build at team.
Until that time we are a work in progress unfortunately.
I have every faith this time next year we will have a team ready to challenge.
It’s takes time and unfortunately we are impatient lot at the moment through no fault of our own

It's a big question that has largely been ignored, probably deliberately.

Loan signings are all very well, but we have four that can often feature in the same lineup.

Young guys in their early twenties with a lot of potential but little in the way of experience, especially of the pressures at a huge club such as ours.

I don’t think it’s the best look.

My worry in the summer was that such a relatively high reliance on loan signings suggested a lack of hard cash to build a more permanent squad with.

Given the continuing problems with Ashley and King being finally forced to stump up for the concert party hoopla, will we be able to add the quality we so evidently need this summer?

Back